Cheesy FM Thread 2016.

Comments

• jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know the dedications are not made up?

I think the presenters just do not work! I love the music but I was listening yesterday and there was one link with in thirty minutes in the afternoon.

I also do not understand the point of the random voiced links that are guess the next number in the sequence and what was the third number. They have no purpose. They need an outline or an intro to state why they are there.
  • walmesdanwalmesdan Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've tried to tune Into Cheesy FM this afternoon/evening via their app & TuneIn app etc but comes up 'Stream Offline". :confused: I don't live in the Manchester area so unsure if it broadcasting via DAB in that area or is it just the internet stream.
  • PodiumPodium Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    walmesdan wrote: »
    I've tried to tune Into Cheesy FM this afternoon/evening via their app & TuneIn app etc but comes up 'Stream Offline". :confused: I don't live in the Manchester area so unsure if it broadcasting via DAB in that area or is it just the internet stream.

Internet stream has been down since just after 5pm :o
    Website track listings 'stuck' at same time - during quite the cheesiest and most irritating song imaginable: Doodah! by Cartoons.
  • i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still nothing out of the apps.

Hope this is not a bad sign also take it they dont have anyone in studio on a sunday so they may not know they have gone off the air.
    Forum Member
    i love sky wrote: »
    Still nothing out of the apps.

Hope this is not a bad sign also take it they dont have anyone in studio on a sunday so they may not know they have gone off the air.

It's back on... with Billie Piper (7.27pm).... and now it's gone again (7.30pm).....
    Wonder what's happening on DAB.
    Anybody listening?
  • walmesdanwalmesdan Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has just been posted on the Cheesy FM Facebook page........

"We are having a few issues at the moment. Virgin Media seem to have let us down with their broadband. Apologies for any inconvenience."

https://www.facebook.com/cheesyfm/?fref=nf
  • Cheshire RobskiCheshire Robski Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have been listening to this online all afternoon, either I'm extremely 'cheesy' with my tastes, or this is actually a good listen!

I'm about 10 miles outside of the DAB range, so can only listen online. I actually don't think it's 'that' cheesy! Some of the songs are on the cheesy-side, but there are some great songs and classic pop as well, I don't feel that 'Another Brick In The Wall', Pink Floyd, is cheesy, nor OMD, but I like the station anyhow.

It gives the late 80's feel of radio (and, yes, that might be cheesy!) with re-sings of the 'The best sound in Britain, Radio 1' jingles, but it makes it feel like a big production.

Loving it - as I see it's from Stoke studios, and although it's on Niocom's Manchester Minimux (I'm sure due to affordability), why not get this on Stoke's Multiplex as there's bugger all on there at the moment!
    Forum Member
    Goodness - they're even playing 'cheesy' news now!
    The 9am headlines today (Sunday 19th) appeared to be a rerun of last weekend, highlighting the Queen's birthday celebrations, football violence and reporting the Orlando massacre as if it had just happened.

I thought this was supposed to be fresh from the Radio Newshub (as in broadcast minutes after being received 'down the line') but this seems to have taken nearly a week to get through!

Perhaps the afternoon headlines will tell us the Falklands have just been liberated.
  • Seagull259Seagull259 Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station still available from their website & on Tune In but the 2 direct links I have for the station do not seem to be working.

http://31.14.40.21:6184/listen.pls (this is the only one listed on RadioFeeds)

http://andrewpeacock1.serverroom.net:6184/;stream.mp3

Anybody have another one please?
  • RadioMonsterRadioMonster Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    Seagull259 wrote: »
    Station still available from their website & on Tune In but the 2 direct links I have for the station do not seem to be working.

http://31.14.40.21:6184/listen.pls (this is the only one listed on RadioFeeds)

http://andrewpeacock1.serverroom.net:6184/;stream.mp3

Anybody have another one please?
    Thanks. Now updated on RadioFeeds and streaming at 320k.
  • Seagull259Seagull259 Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Magic_FM
  • Dan LodgeDan Lodge Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Cheesy FM is now on DAB in Portsmouth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how do people think its doing after a bit of time since it started on DAB in Manchester?

I have loved it since day one and still do.
    Forum Member
    i love sky wrote: »
    So how do people think its doing after a bit of time since it started on DAB in Manchester?

I have listened quite a lot since the DAB launch with presenters at the start of the summer.
    It certainly works as a concept but can irritate if you try to listen for prolonged periods.

There seem to be a few 'signature' artists and songs on the main playlist.
    Too much Phil Collins/Genesis repetition. Ditto Sinitta (who dominates in plays from the Stock Aitken Waterman collection that includes plenty of Jason, Kylie etc.)

Also, some of the novelty/camp one-offs come around far too regularly.
    Su Pollard, Anita Dobson and the ghastly StarTrekkin' song, used to launch the station revamp, are all overplayed.

However, I must say that the whole project is laudable.
    'Big Cheese' Andy Peacock has found a way of rebranding 1980s pop in a listener-friendly way. Recommended - in small slices.
  • clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They really need to expand this station on DAB though. Even getting on the NW Wales Muliplex would be a smart move as it covers such a large area of the North West. They need similar multiplexs all over the UK or D2, however suspect the cost of that would be way over them?

How is this station actually making money though? It does not appear to have adverts so something has to be paying for the output of the station and the shows that they are producing?
  • Mr CableMr Cable Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I *LOVE* this station - fun tracks that the Absolute Bouquet of stations will NEVER play. But I have to add my voice to the poor quality. My other half always retunes the DAB station away from it. I filled in the contact us form and got a very nice response advising that there was a 320kps feed on the website - but that seems pretty compressed too.

Is there anything we can do to help them improve? Or is a cost thing? There are other 32k stations on DAB+ sounding better (surprising though that may seem) but as it seems the problem is before transmission.
    Forum Member
    Cheesy seems to be off air this morning.
    Happened a couple of times now - and usually blamed on technical problems.

It's really hard to suss this station because, when it's in full flow, it really can deliver an alternative listening experience. The playlist has really broadened out lately, so you never really know what to expect.
    A few new ads have sneaked in over the past month, too.

However, the dropping of Radio News Hub bulletins and the many MANY hours with no presenters must surely indicate a real battle against the odds to keep going.

I hope it survives because it's doing something a bit different.
  • Excess BaggageExcess Baggage Posts: 1,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they are plughole bound.

No presenters equals juke box radio, just like many others.

Shame, they started off really well too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to be back to normal now as Adam is back and is on Air right now with that dam mouse!!!

They do need to get the News back on at top of the hour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam has just said that Christmas starts at the station at 8.15am on Thursday 1st Dec after the vote that they did over the last few weeks.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    I think they are plughole bound.

No presenters equals juke box radio, just like many others.

Shame, they started off really well too.

The station sounded better without presenters when it first started anyway. It should have stayed as a bedroom internet station and slowly built up from there. It would have been a slow build over a couple of years but it would hv been affordable. Going onto Dab was great in theory but very expensive in a crowded market if you can't fund it properly.

Presenters cost money and with this station make it sound crap and cheap. With cheesy fm the music jukebox is a strong point of difference.
  • Excess BaggageExcess Baggage Posts: 1,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I listened recently and only Ditchee was on.

Well, as long as they have some, a bit of personality should be good.

Footnote:

Don't do as I did and have some Bugles and Chilli houmas dip, then take a swig of scotch... Your mouth explodes!! Owsers!
  • orchoverorchover Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say i've got bored of Cheesy and have now switched off. Whilst my tastes are very cheesy, there's a difference between cheesy and just plain crap music. Sadly they were playing too much of the latter for me. And they were playing too many of the same songs again and again which isn't necessary when you have so much to choose from. I also miss the news bulletins and the presenters. Pity they couldn't keep it going as it was a couple of months back.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So is Ditchy doing 10 - 2 on Cheesey fm then 3- 7 on Rock fm