Options

HomeChoice Technical Questions

Brush MasterBrush Master Posts: 1,572
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In case anybody is interested, below is a list of 6 questions I asked HomeChoice's support folk yesterday. Any input is appreciated. I shall keep the forum abreast as to whether I ever hear back from HomeChoice, and what their answers are.

Q1 When you quote 1MBps or 2MBps for the broadband Internet services, is this figure inclusive of, or in addition to, data streaming needed for TV and radio through HomeChoice?

Q2 I couldn't find an upstream data rate figure on your site. I assume you are not offering a symmetrical service with 1 or 2 MBps upstream - please provide the upstream figure.

Q3 What is the contention ratio: 1:20? 1:50? ...?

Q4 I assume you provide a dynamic IP lease, and NAT capabilities via your set-top box. Please confirm. Please also confirm this is a routable IP address, instead of subnetting a private address range such as 10.* or 192.168.* (VPN technologies may require routable addresses).

Q5 Is your system, including the set-top box and the NAT engine, capable of handling IPSEC (required for VPN access to corporate networks)?

Q6 Does your set-top box include a firewall? Are any details available (is it configurable? does it support port mapping? custom protocols? ...?)

Comments

• Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm interested in any information about HomeChoice so please do pass on your experiences, but I would imagine that the best place to find out the answers to these questions would be the adslguide forums.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oops - will re-post in the DSL forum. Abandon this thread.
    Sorry - no cross-post intended.
    B
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    all

to be honest i'd avoid homechoice, i was on BT Office Broadband 0.5MB broadband and upgraded to the 2MB homechoice, the download speeds are ok but that's about it... The rest of it i'm afraid is v.poor, ping speeds shoot all over the place v.unhappy with the switch as soon as I get the opportunity i'm switching to Zen.

Hope this helps.
    J.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    I can answer some of the above for you:
    Q1 When you quote 1MBps or 2MBps for the broadband Internet services, is this figure inclusive of, or in addition to, data streaming needed for TV and radio through HomeChoice?
    This excludes the TV service, so you get a full 2Mbps service. The TV service is, we think, and additional 4Mbps - making a total of 6Mbps.
    Q2 I couldn't find an upstream data rate figure on your site. I assume you are not offering a symmetrical service with 1 or 2 MBps upstream - please provide the upstream figure.
    The upstream figure is quoted as 288k (though I can't remember the exact source of this). The speed test at ADSL Guide says I get 306kbps. This is significantly better than cable.
    Q4 I assume you provide a dynamic IP lease, and NAT capabilities via your set-top box. Please confirm. Please also confirm this is a routable IP address, instead of subnetting a private address range such as 10.* or 192.168.* (VPN technologies may require routable addresses).
    The box provides a dynamic IP lease. The IP address is routable externally (mine is in the 81.1.*.* range).
    Q6 Does your set-top box include a firewall? Are any details available (is it configurable? does it support port mapping? custom protocols? ...?)
    There's no firewall in the box.

I have been very happy with the broadband service so far, no problems whatsoever.
  • Options
    lucaspowelllucaspowell Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know how to do Norton Liveupdate through Homechoice? Norton only wants to connect to dial up.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    liveupdate works through my BB service it should work through yours, pls provide details e.g. r u using ethernet connection, how is your internet etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LiveUpdate, unless you specify otherwise, uses your global internet preferences. These should be set to "via LAN" and "do not dial out" - check your Live Update Control Panel Applet for details.
  • Options
    lucaspowelllucaspowell Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Found the Applet, works fine now, thanks very much for the info.