Options

Worst software you've ever used?

Comments

• Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to do the same thing. It's rather annoying :( Still love the Mac though.

Heres why you cant see things objectively, such as dissing Vista thoug you never used it. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Heres why you cant see things objectively, such as dissing Vista thoug you never used it. :rolleyes:

I have used Vista, not on any of my own computers but on friends' machines, and I really did find it awful. I also used it at school for the last year and a half I was there.
  • Options
    stargazer600stargazer600 Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Windows Me simply one of the worst ever produced.
    Windows 8 I simply can not get on with this , been on the preview version for sometime now and I simply hate it, it has no place on my desktop pc .
    Norton antiviris - system hogger and unreliable
    AVG Free, used to be brilliant now utter crap
    All toolbar add ons - never seen the point of them
    Samsung keys - unstable and never actualy connects to my phone
    Linksys firmware - never update your router coz 99% of the time you will have issues after.

I could carry on but i'm bored now
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »

Actually no, I DO mean tortoises. ;)
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad I'm not the only one finding Finder a bit of a challenge compared to what I'm used to. Has anyone tried Path Finder? Is it worth the money?

1saintly wrote: »
    Yes we know :rolleyes:
    You seem to end most sentences by reminding us.
    Even if we talked about the weather, you would bring macs into somehow!

Indeed, how about when people are talking about pants as shown here:
    Oi! I'm a Mac user and wear leopard print :p I tend to wear the "snow" leopard style as I have a Macbook Pro running that version of Mac OSX :D (Windows users - all Mac OSX versions are named after big cats, current one is Mountain Lion).

*end of geek moment*
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm not the only one finding Finder a bit of a challenge compared to what I'm used to. Has anyone tried Path Finder? Is it worth the money?

I find Finder a disgrace of an implementation on an OS people say they are proud of, yet they cant even see what the issues are with it. Its like they've never used a proper file manager before.

I've said on here many times before my issues with Finder, theres no point reiterating it.
  • Options
    dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    iTunes - the biggest piece of system resource hogging crap I've ever come across. Operation is clunky and horrible. If it wasn't for my iPhone i would never have it on my PC.

Any piece of software which has the box ticked by default to install additional junkware (ie. Google Chrome, toolbars etc) onto an unsuspecting person's PC.

Office 2007/2010. I'm no fan of the ribbon "my first office" interface - am often wondering where the f*ck they've placed certain things, when they were clearly in menus before.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Adobe Acrobat reader, Jesus what a piece of bloated bug ridden shite just to read a pdf file.

It was developed during the same era as Word, when lots of software became a bloated mess because it was marketed on features (often features that few people really needed) rather than usability, performance or amount of bugs.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Actually no, I DO mean tortoises. ;)

But the tortoise would sink to the bottom of the treacle and drown. That's just plain cruel. :eek:
  • Options
    TrueCardTrueCard Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    when lots of software became a bloated mess
    Also 'Nero burning ROM' which started as a simple lightweight CD burning program. But every version has added more and more bloatware to justify the upgrade. Even the 'Lite' version is bloated.
  • Options
    GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing as you ask (see my other thread), it's easily Lotus Notes.
  • Options
    SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GIT. People talk about how great it is but to me it seems like a massive hassle when all I really want to do is push some source files to a repo.
  • Options
    Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash player, have and always will hate it but sadly too many sites are dependent on it.

The quicker this bloaty piece of banner drivel is gone the better.
  • Options
    redtuxredtux Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cpikey316_ wrote: »
    Linux

Only good if you want to spend half an hour doing something windows does in seconds....

Rubbish
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Windows ME was horrible with Real Player.

When the screensaver came up if you were listening to something, the sound always got cut off.
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Has anyone on here ever used the "vi" editor on UNIX?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vi

Be very grateful if you haven't! I remember going on a course at ICL years ago and the tutor told us he had yet to meet anyone who liked it.

I also remember a couple of people who had a lot headaches with a UNIX utility called "awk".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awk
  • Options
    DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike_1101 wrote: »

Be very grateful if you haven't! I remember going on a course at ICL years ago and the tutor told us he had yet to meet anyone who liked it.
    wut? You've never met any who likes vi?

I _LOVE_ vim. Once you learn how to use a modal text editor you will never go back. I even have an extension installed for Chrome that allows me to navigate like I would with vi(m). I have plugins for every editor I use on a regular basis to give me vi like navigation/editing.

Btw, I'm well aware vim isn't strictly vi but not many people don't use the extras vim offers and wouldn't notice the move massively unless you really depend on extensions.
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    DotNetWill wrote: »
    wut? You've never met any who likes vi?

I _LOVE_ vim. Once you learn how to use a modal text editor you will never go back. I even have an extension installed for Chrome that allows me to navigate like I would with vi(m). I have plugins for every editor I use on a regular basis to give me vi like navigation/editing.

Btw, I'm well aware vim isn't strictly vi but not many people don't use the extras vim offers and wouldn't notice the move massively unless you really depend on extensions.

I have used it but switching modes always seemed very messy and made using it a real pain. I'm not sure when wysiwyg editors became available on UNIX.

I did some work on ICL mainframes years ago. The SD and SCEF editors on VME weren't too bad, the worst was the "line editor" on 1900 / George 3, what a bloody nightmare that was..
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows ME, it was just awful.
  • Options
    scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OSX - just don't like the feel/behaviour of OSX
    Windows XP - a really horrible looking tonka toy

Programs it would be
    Firefox
    Adobe pdf reader
    itunes - so clunky
    the drivers/programs that came with my HP 3210 printer -- its there on the network it has an ip address why won't you work damit.. reinstall etc
    windows gadgets

I liked vista.. so it was a bit of a resource hog here and there but made windows look so much nicer compared to how XP looked and worked, at least no wagging dog when you had to find something
  • Options
    _Ash__Ash_ Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GetFrodo wrote: »
    Seeing as you ask (see my other thread), it's easily Lotus Notes.

Ah, someone else who has to suffer this abomination. I've had to use various versions since 2002 and I still can't stand it.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member

I also remember a couple of people who had a lot headaches with a UNIX utility called "awk".

I used vi as my main editor for my first 5 years as a programmer on Unix systems. That was back when I did C++ and C development. It used to take forever to get even the simplest thing up and running reliably. C/C++ and Make were horrible. No wonder there used to be such a high attrition rate amongst programmers, that set up was enough to turn anyone to the dark side that is management.

After writing my first application in Java using an IDE with proper syntax highlighting in a fraction of the time (bear in mind, this was a new language with new tools and on Windows NT - all things I hadn't used before at the time) that it would have taken with my old setup, I decided I'd never use those languages again. I eventually forgave C, but me and C++ will never speak again.

I still use vi though. It's fine for editing the odd config file or script. Plus you can find it on any version of Unix or Linux. I do always check if Nano or Gedit are installed first though :D. I also tried to learn emacs, but it just gave me a headache. My favourite editors at the moment are Sublime 2 and Notepad++.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Backup Exec - so slow at backing up and shocking tape handling and management. Not to mention the millions of license codes you had to enter in by hand, or the index which corrupted if you sneezed at it meaning millions of error boxes needed clearing. May have improved since I last used it. Better well have!

Dell OpenManage. Half the features just don't work.

"Enterprise" software. Seems to be an excuse for horrendous license management, bad installation procedures and requiring admin rights to run.

Microsoft admin tools. Serious lacking in usability and speed. Stinks to high heaven of laziness and an attitude of oh well only sys admins using it, sod if it has a few millions bugs in it and the speed of a glacier. Is it my or are they getting worse with every new release?
  • Options
    marclamarcla Posts: 1,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Computer games that came on cassette, took ages to load especially when they had the flickering bar effect when loading.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst software? The George 3 editor has to come close...

He clearly hadn't met many proper programmers.

Vi is superb, and hugely powerful. Of course, this means that your first attempts at using it will often generate an approximation to random noise. Gotta climb that learning curve! I still use versions on Windows and on Linux. I might look for one for Android!

Some people think even vi is for wimps, and that you should really be using TECO:

"Some of the concepts in these Xerox editors have been incorporated into editors running on more reasonably named operating systems-- EMACS and VI being two. The problem with these editors is that Real Programmers consider "what you see is what you get" to be just as bad a concept in Text Editors as it is in Women. No, the Real Programmer wants a "you asked for it, you got it" text editor-- complicated, cryptic, powerful, unforgiving, dangerous. TECO, to be precise. It has been observed that a TECO command sequence more closely resembles transmission line noise than readable text[4]. One of the more entertaining games to play with TECO is to type your name in as a command line and try to guess what it does. Just about any possible typing error while talking with TECO will probably destroy your program, or even worse-- introduce subtle and mysterious bugs in a once working subroutine."
    Another supremely powerful utility, dangerous in the wrong hands.