My Blog About Social Anxiety

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
Forum Member
Hi...

im new to DS and i wanted to share with you my Blog about my social anxiety disorder... i must admit its taken me a long time to speak about suffering from Anxiety, ive had no confidence to start a blog, but i thought i might aswell do it!

so here it is! http://anxiousandawkward.blogspot.com/

id love it if you check it out and give me feedback!
i will accept any forms of criticism!

Comments

• HendersonHenderson Posts: 11,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello andyjohn!! What are you anxious about dude?
  • yappyyappy Posts: 6,310
    Forum Member
    Hi there Anxious Andy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Henderson wrote: »
    Hello andyjohn!! What are you anxious about dude?

hey there Henderson, im just anxious about every social situation, you name it, chatting up people, making new friends! it all comes with having Anxiety Disorder...
  • ubanjodubanjod Posts: 4,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yappy wrote: »
    Hi there Anxious Andy

Now a comment like that, isnt going to help, is it yappy?
  • tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ubanjod wrote: »

no its not is it

welcome to DS Andy
  • HendersonHenderson Posts: 11,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andyjohn92 wrote: »
    hey there Henderson, im just anxious about every social situation, you name it, chatting up people, making new friends! it all comes with having Anxiety Disorder...

Have you tried getting bladdered? Alaways works for me!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think technology hasn't helped with social anxiety. Fair enough people can chat about their problems and network with other sufferers but it often ends up creating a bubble where they don't have to venture out and deal with people face to face. There's so much you can do online now that for many means they rarely have to leave their house.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have social anxiety too and it's absolutely horrible. I'd recommend joining the socialanxietysupport forum, it's HUGE and has tons of sufferers from all around the world posting. You'd be amazed at how many times you'll go "omg i'm like that too!". :p
  • SMcginn03SMcginn03 Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Have you ever thought about counselling? or CBT?
    I'm going to my first CBT session on Thursday, as I also suffer from very bad anxiety.
    Forum Member
    updated: http://anxiousandawkward.blogspot.com/

and yes i see CBT at college every tuesday:)
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've suffered from Social Anxiety for years, but last year I had CBT and it really helped me with it. I feel a lot more confident in social situations now. Don't get me wrong, I will always struggle with it but now I feel I can deal with it before it takes a hold again.

This thing is you have to really push yourself to overcome it, and that means doing things that you might find really difficult.

You'd be surprised how many people suffer with it, even if it's only in the mildest form.
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ubanjod wrote: »

Bit like rubbing salt into an open wound.

Welcome to DS. I'm off to read your blog.
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im not here to bore you all and whine about my life

Well that is what a blog is

You are following the footsteps of a million other people. Do something different.

Be. Interesting.
  • MMXIIMMXII Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Andrew, 1st of all good for you for being able to talk about your anxiety if that has been an issue in the past.

Regarding the actual blog - it is good if you ask me, I've tried writing blogs in the past and never get very far lol so props to you for keeping your 1st effort brief but also to the point and saying what you want to say in a very learned way.

As for the content - anxiety feeds on it's supply line of thoughts and the longer you let those thoughts run without cutting them off, the more anxious you will get. I think social anxiety is probably a lot more common than you think, I'm a fair bit older but through circumstance over the years have never been in a 'proper' relationship either and so every little thing regarding women right from initially speaking to them used to cause anxiety.

The way I try and approach it now is not giving one jot of my attention to what other people are upto, so what if they are all really confident and in relationships or 'studmuffins' :p as you put it? (which isn't probably accurate anyway) - It's you as an individual that counts, not other people so being honest with yourself and being open about anxiety/experience is a really proud quality to have imo

Good luck with the rest of your blog :)
    Forum Member
    thank you all! it means alot that you like it!
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have my sympathy, my cousin suffers with SA and I see how much difficulty they have in dealing with life on a daily basis.
  • gamez-fangamez-fan Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hi andy welcome to the boards i would definately recommend
    you try some anti anxiety medication it will help plus the best remedy is to just get out there and live your life the best you
    can

good luck i hope things work out for ya
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Personally I think technology hasn't helped with social anxiety. Fair enough people can chat about their problems and network with other sufferers but it often ends up creating a bubble where they don't have to venture out and deal with people face to face. There's so much you can do online now that for many means they rarely have to leave their house.

That's exactly what I've done I only need to go outside 6 times a year. And I manage to get out of that too.
  • hippykittyhippykitty Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Andrew, good first blog post and welcome to the forum!

I've had social anxiety for years and to a large extent, it took over my life. I was referred for CBT around 18 months ago and while the therapy itself didn't change much, my therapist encouraged me to start volunteering at a local charity. I was really nervous at that prospect but I knew it would probably help me so I went ahead with it. I've been there for around 14 months now and it's made such a difference, having to interact with the people who come to the centre and having to talk to people on the phone (I was so bad at that before and literally wouldn't speak on the phone full stop). I wouldn't say I'm cured by any means - I still get nervous meeting new people - but I'm a lot better than before now that I know that I can talk to people and am not the hopeless case I thought I was.

Hope that gives you some optimism for the future but I know how difficult it is to start taking the first steps.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    looks at you

*judges*

;)
    nice blog :D
    some typo's though...
  • SonofaBeastSonofaBeast Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    I used to suffer from it quite a bit when I was younger. I remember going to visit a friend at university and I had a panic attack in the student union and had to run outside. Really horrible. I just felt like I couldn't breathe and that people were looking at me, which they probably were since I fled the place like a bitch on speed with my hands wailing because I needed air and space.

I've gotten a lot better since going to uni, having a job, travelling, etc. and it doesn't seem to be as much of a problem. I sometimes get a little funny in some situations like queuing in the supermarket or in large crowds and will have to take deep breaths. The last time it really affected me was my sisters wedding where I was the usher and I basically freaked the f--k out the whole day. You'd think I was getting married how nervous I was. I did the wrong thing when I was a lot younger and that was drink to take the anxiety and the edge off. I will say that being off my face did kinda help but I soon learnt that it really isn't the best solution. It's a really horrible problem and hard for people to understand who have never suffered with it.
    Forum Member
    @happykitty thank you :)

and yes im going to CBT soon, i hope it works!
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    It's important to try and deal with it as soon as possible or it will become a life-long, deeply-ingrained issue which will crush you like an ant under a giant's boot. Good luck with getting some help.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    I had CBT for an anxiety disorder last year.I wasn't very open-minded about it as all I wanted was for the doctor to give me tablets of some sort,but actually quite a few things of what my counsellor said have stuck.I've not had an attack like I was having for a good 6 months now.

I'll be following your blog Andy- so what if there are loads of them around,if they're helping people then it's all good!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Alt-F4 wrote: »
    Well that is what a blog is

You are following the footsteps of a million other people. Do something different.

Be. Interesting.

Way to go ****.

He has SA saying stuff like that's not going to help.