Options

Things forum members do that drive you mental?

JonJonBJonJonB Posts: 2,051
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What things do people on here do that, even though they're competely within the rules, rub you up the wrong way? They might not even know what they're doing is majorly annoying, but you want to stab them in the eyeballs all the same. I have about a billion, but just a couple to start with.

I hate when someone starts a thread with a really long post, then the first reply is someone quoting the entire thing just to give a one line response. Often you then get several people doing this, so you have to scroll down past that same first post again and again.

I really hate when you get several nerdlingers rushing to post a thread about a major disaster or celebrity death, all wanting to be the first one to get the topic on DS, as if there's some respect due for doing this. This always results in several threads about the same thing, too.

There's one thing I dont so much hate but it creeps me out a little. When people are discussing something in a topic, and one poster starts making references to another's personal life (family/work related matters, stuff like that), from past threads where the person has shared these details. "Aren't you the one who had another dispute with your boss about so-and-so" or "I know you said in another thread your mother is an alcoholic". Just a bit too stalkerish for me.

Also, anyone who posts "I've sent you a PM" just needs to...die.

Hopefully if we avoid referencing users by name or being too specific with certain incidents this won't result in a flame war or Mods having to step in. I've got loads more pet hates but I'll see how it flies first.

Comments

• Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JonJonB wrote: »
    What things do people on here do that, even though they're competely within the rules, rub you up the wrong way? They might not even know what they're doing is majorly annoying, but you want to stab them in the eyeballs all the same. I have about a billion, but just a couple to start with.

I hate when someone starts a thread with a really long post, then the first reply is someone quoting the entire thing just to give a one line response. Often you then get several people doing this, so you have to scroll down past that same first post again and again.

I really hate when you get several nerdlingers rushing to post a thread about a major disaster or celebrity death, all wanting to be the first one to get the topic on DS, as if there's some respect due for doing this. This always results in several threads about the same thing, too.

There's one thing I dont so much hate but it creeps me out a little. When people are discussing something in a topic, and one poster starts making references to another's personal life (family/work related matters, stuff like that), from past threads where the person has shared these details. "Aren't you the one who had another dispute with your boss about so-and-so" or "I know you said in another thread your mother is an alcoholic". Just a bit too stalkerish for me.

Hopefully if we avoid referencing users by name or being too specific with certain incidents this won't result in a flame war or Mods having to step in. I've got loads more pet hates but I'll see how it flies first.

Like this?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    Like this?

It had to be done...
  • Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I find it a little disconcerting that people get annoyed about the most mundane of things. I've just sent you a PM about it.
  • Options
    JonJonBJonJonB Posts: 2,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly was going to say I bet the first person to reply will do that.
  • Options
    benny1982benny1982 Posts: 7,550
    Forum Member
    I hate it when people dont seem to read the OP topic and jump in with their conclusions without reading it and thinking first.

DS members who accuse you of sarcasm when you have a different opinion to others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just what I was going to say.
  • Options
    Simon1984Simon1984 Posts: 5,792
    Forum Member

Oh come on it wasn't a major disaster or a celebrity death. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate how some DS members are so quick to use the 'troll' card because someone holds a different opinion from the majority.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My biggest bug bear are the spelling and grammar officianadoes... just let it be......... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There's one thing I dont so much hate but it creeps me out a little. When people are discussing something in a topic, and one poster starts making references to another's personal life (family/work related matters, stuff like that), from past threads where the person has shared these details. "Aren't you the one who had another dispute with your boss about so-and-so" or "I know you said in another thread your mother is an alcoholic". Just a bit too stalkerish for me.Also, anyone who posts "I've sent you a PM" just needs to...die.

But there are times it is relevant , we all remember things from other threads and there are times when someone is writing something that totally contradicts what they have said in another thread or shows that what they have written in one post cannot be true if you believe what they wrote in another , and then I think its ok to mention it as it is relevant to the thread.
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People in religious threads who simply quote the Bible instead of answering specific questions using their own brains - that really annoys me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised that signing posts hasn't been mentioned already.

Posting links without any supporting explanation annoys me a bit. So do posters who repeatedly post about the same topic.
  • Options
    GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :rolleyes:

God, how I loathe that smiley. Anyone who uses it goes down a peg or two in my estimation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PiggyHiggy wrote: »
    My biggest bug bear are the spelling and grammar officianadoes... just let it be......... :rolleyes:

Aficionados
  • Options
    benny1982benny1982 Posts: 7,550
    Forum Member
    DS members who post something then erase it and put "Deleted". Why??:mad::mad:
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God, signing posts, smilies (especially roll-eyes)... the list is almost endless.

I really hate it, though, when people don't bother to read threads that are only a few pages long before chiming in with their opinion. If they can't be bothered to read anyone else's, then why is theirs so damn special that everyone else needs to be treated to it?
  • Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    1--A couple of posters who put their name at the end of posts.

Its already at the side, we know who you are thanks. Always strikes me as pompous, as if it gives their view greater meaning, as if they are saying '............. has spoken!'

2--The people who start threads with 'OMG!'.

Which sounds inane when spoken and cringingly bad when written. You cant help reading it in that awful Valley Girl accent in your head.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Rolleyes smiley, signing your name on every post, quoting the whole of a massive post when 1 or 2 lines would have done the job better, and that quoting the bible bit gets my goat too.
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    When the OP doesn't ever come back to their thread, despite questions being asked of them.

Spammers who want you to watch a "cool" video which is in fact shite, but which generates money for them.
  • Options
    BatPieBatPie Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Girth wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

God, how I loathe that smiley. Anyone who uses it goes down a peg or two in my estimation.

DS has so few smileys though and thats nice and general and smug :D
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    The worst thing on DS is the little cliques that have formed.I've never seen it as bad as this on other forums I use.Certain posters seem to have "fans" that wade into a thread to provide back up.There's also the childish over use of the ignore function.If you can't read a thread without getting so worked up and annoyed then forums really aren't the place for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    Rolleyes smiley, signing your name on every post, quoting the whole of a massive post when 1 or 2 lines would have done the job better, and that quoting the bible bit gets my goat too.

Judge not, and be not judged.

Matthew 7:1
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, much as it's a fine piece of writing and I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiments, there should be a moratorium on that bloody Pastor Niemoller poem. Everyone knows it by now...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    God, signing posts, smilies (especially roll-eyes)... the list is almost endless.

I really hate it, though, when people don't bother to read threads that are only a few pages long before chiming in with their opinion. If they can't be bothered to read anyone else's, then why is theirs so damn special that everyone else needs to be treated to it?

That gets my goat too, we can see who you are, why remind us at the end of every post?

NR:cool: