Options

Who here doesn't own a mobile phone?

KimmlerKimmler Posts: 1,906
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I don't. Never wanted to own one. A lot of people who have one are amazed when I tell them I don't have one. Though most people are quite envious of me and wish they could live without one. When asked why my honest answer is money. I have a landline so object to paying twice for a phone. Also when I'm out I don't want anyone to contact me, I just want to do my own thing! I understand you can switch them off but few people do. Also texts! Save it all up and stick it in a letter.

Comments

• Options
    GirlfromEireannGirlfromEireann Posts: 4,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes it would be great to be without a phone, I agree.

In today's society there appears to be a need to be always available and I know I have friends who if you aren't answering your phone for whatever reason (out and don't hear it, forgot to turn it off silent, busy) take it as a personal snub.

I often think when I go on holidays, I'd love to just turn the phone off the the duration of the time that I'm there, but I know that I'd never last.

On the other hand, it's great having a mobile phone, particularly for safety reasons.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I physically own one, but rarely use it - really just for emergencies, or need to order a taxi if I`m out etc.
    Only a few people know the number - certainly don`t give it out willy-nilly or that would drive me nuts as well

I could easily live without it ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In today's society there appears to be a need to be always available and I know I have friends who if you aren't answering your phone for whatever reason (out and don't hear it, forgot to turn it off silent, busy) take it as a personal snub.

Wow! I never knew that. Gosh, some people are so sensitive

I often think when I go on holidays, I'd love to just turn the phone off the the duration of the time that I'm there, but I know that I'd never last.

On the other hand, it's great having a mobile phone, particularly for safety reasons.

I just people would stop saying "I'm on a train" when they answer their mobiles on the train.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Though said aside that is the fact that people get mugged for their phones.
  • Options
    kevraffkevraff Posts: 3,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kimmler wrote: »
    I just people would stop saying "I'm on a train" when they answer their mobiles on the train.

Got an urgent call the other day when I was on train and got some funny looks - presumably because of this cliche.

I need my mobile phone 24/7 to do my job (they even phoned me on Xmas Day this year :mad:)

Unfortunately, some of us don't have the luxury of being being uncontactable.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    My brother works in IT and he has all the latest gadgets, but he won't use a mobile phone.

He has been given PAYG mobile phones as gifts in the past, but he just refuses to carry one.

His kids, wife, other family members, friends and workmates all have mobile phones.

I think he just enjoys going to a game of football, or disappearing off for a walk in the countryside with his two dogs, and knowing that nobody can contact him.
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my hubby does not have a mobile phone
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    even my 80 year old gran has a mobile, in fact 3.
  • Options
    Lincoln HawkLincoln Hawk Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents have one between them. They almost never go out to seperate places though so it is enough to them.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people who have one are amazed when I tell them I don't have one.

I get the same reaction, when people learn I don't have a land-line.

On a few occasions, I've been told "We must have your home telephone number".

The No10 Petitions website wouldn't let you create a petition, unless you entered a land-line number.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I probably shouldn't, but I see a mobile phone as being the badge of the chav so I refuse to own or use one. When I see somebody carrying or using a mobile, I automatically slot them into the same social grouping as people who wear trainers. I don't understand how they came to be so popular.
  • Options
    Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    I'd struggle to live without a mobile, but on the flipside - I quite often turn it off when I'm relaxing, or out doing something, as I don't want the distraction of it going off, and don't want to be contacted - My friends find this 'odd' as they are generally contactable 24/7 ready and waiting to answer any call....

In a previous job, I had to be contactable at all times on the phone, and it nearly drove me mad!!
  • Options
    GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amy_S wrote: »
    When I see somebody carrying or using a mobile, I automatically slot them into the same social grouping as people who wear trainers.
    That's one humongous social group.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Amy_S wrote: »
    I probably shouldn't, but I see a mobile phone as being the badge of the chav so I refuse to own or use one. When I see somebody carrying or using a mobile, I automatically slot them into the same social grouping as people who wear trainers. I don't understand how they came to be so popular.
    You must regard 91% of Britons as chavs, then! :D

http://mobile.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=3251574
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I don't. I was made redundant a few weeks ago (company went into administration) so I had to hand my Blackberry in to the administrators. I wish I'd slyly kept it now, as I didn't get my last month's wage.

I've enjoyed the last fortnight without one tbh but I really need to sort a new one out - particularly so prospective employers can contact me.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got one but the simplest and cheapest model on PAYG, purely for emergencies when out in the car. It's switched off almost all the time. BTW I've never sent or received a text.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    I've got one but the simplest and cheapest model on PAYG, purely for emergencies when out in the car. It's switched off almost all the time. BTW I've never sent or received a text.
    Mum? Is that you?

;)
  • Options
    ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    Never had one , never wanted one ...people try to give them to me. I asked somebody in their house if I could use their phone......they handed me a state of the art mobile. I didnt have a clue what to do with it.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    Mum? Is that you?

;)
    No, back in your tomb Mr Opera Singer!
  • Options
    scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    My dad doesn't own one but mum does.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kevraff wrote: »
    Got an urgent call the other day when I was on train and got some funny looks - presumably because of this cliche.

I need my mobile phone 24/7 to do my job (they even phoned me on Xmas Day this year :mad:)

Unfortunately, some of us don't have the luxury of being being uncontactable.

True, but being a brain/heart surgeon you must be very well rewarded.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a phone but I don't use it very often and I normally have it switched off. ;) I could live without it most of the time but it's just nice to have a method of communication.
  • Options
    LaChatteGitaneLaChatteGitane Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, but being a brain/heart surgeon you must be very well rewarded.

:D:D

I don't have one and I am not missing out on anything.