Options

David Laws Guilty

Comments

• Options
    JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not even being mentioned on Sky News!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry just been on 16 minutes into the news.

David Cameron has said he would still like to see him Back in the Government one day.
  • Options
    Peter EPeter E Posts: 7,746
    Forum Member
    What ever happened to the promise by Cameron that you call your MP to account and force by-election if you're dissatisfied with them?

Looks like that's been forgotten about!! I wonder why?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    nothing on tvnothing on tv Posts: 5,044
    Forum Member
    Jilly wrote: »
    Sorry just been on 16 minutes into the news.

David Cameron has said he would still like to see him Back in the Government one day.

because even though he is a crook, he is a right winger and a Lib Dem, which makes him a double whammy! Cameron must have loved having him in the cabinet taking bullets!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because even though he is a crook, he is a right winger and a Lib Dem, which makes him a double whammy! Cameron must have loved having him in the cabinet taking bullets!

What bullets did he take in 16 days?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What bullets did he take in 16 days?

did he not take heated criticism for fronting the more shall we say harsh fiscal policies? did I dream that?
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who would he have most likely replaced Osborne or Danny Alexander ?
  • Options
    Peter EPeter E Posts: 7,746
    Forum Member
    What annoys me is that if this were Labou MP, Cameron and the Daily Mail would be calling for them to be sent to jail. However, Cameron now wants him back in Cabinet despte being proved guilty!!!:eek:

The sheer arrogance is Cameron and co is amazing!!!
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    He stole because he was in breach of rules dating from 2006 and if he was too stupid to know that he was doing wrong then he should have known, or checked. He used taxpayers money to improve his boyfriend's property.
    I totally agree - and for someone who had been described as "brilliant", and coming from a well-educated background, he should have been brilliant and well-educated enough enough to have understood that what he was doing was in breach of the rules (not just technically, it was a breach of the rules), that it was wrong, dishonest and that he should not be doing it, regardless as to his personal motives.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter E wrote: »
    What annoys me is that if this were Labou MP, Cameron and the Daily Mail would be calling for them to be sent to jail. However, Cameron now wants him back in Cabinet despte being proved guilty!!!:eek:

The sheer arrogance is Cameron and co is amazing!!!

£116,000 was what Jacqui Smith claimed for lodging with her sister. Cannot remember Brown calling for her head, she resigned!
  • Options
    fotytscyrfotytscyr Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £116,000 was what Jacqui Smith claimed for lodging with her sister. Cannot remember Brown calling for her head, she resigned!

And she should be in jail too and Mr Clegg. GOSH I can't get on expenses DVD's like he did or rent blue flims like Mrs Smith's husband. The Cost to me yesterday of the King's speech on Blue Ray was £15.99. BUT I am not all in it together am I?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    When you stand in a court and are found guilty of stealing, it does not matter whether you did it to feed your cat or because you didn't want the world to know that you are gay.

Yes it does. Mitigating factors can often negate a punishment even though you're still guilty.

Laws' motive by those that understand will probably be seen in a good light rather than 'that greedy person stealing from the taxpayer'.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Teh User wrote: »
    Yes it does. Mitigating factors can often negate a punishment even though you're still guilty.

Laws' motive by those that understand will probably be seen in a good light rather than 'that greedy person stealing from the taxpayer'.

Well I think that "I stole to feed my cat" is a better defence than "I am trying to cover something up".

The fact of the matter is that he is a millionaire politician who wanted all the the glory of being a minister but let his greed outweigh his common sense and he stole money from taxpayers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    waidaminute

but if he was out, and staying at his boyfriend's house, then surely he could no longer claim rent?

I think it was all greed, fraud, and the gay angle a late ploy to lessen the career damage. better a martyr than a thief. the paper revealed the expenses fraud but not his sexuality. he revealed his sexuality, so to speak, but even then could have chosen not to. it was damage control.
  • Options
    Johnny CashJohnny Cash Posts: 1,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    waidaminute

but if he was out, and staying at his boyfriend's house, then surely he could no longer claim rent?

I think it was all greed, fraud, and the gay angle a late ploy to lessen the career damage. better a martyr than a thief. the paper revealed the expenses fraud but not his sexuality. he revealed his sexuality, so to speak, but even then could have chosen not to. it was damage control.

Spot on.

I stole from my employer but it's OK - I'm gay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James T wrote: »
    So are you saying that politicians aren't entitled to a private life? Why not? :confused:

I do have a lot of sympathy for Laws on this. Even though he may have technically breached some rules, I don't see how he did any harm in so doing.

So you see no harm with a crook in charge planing on cutting jobs, maybe yours? maybe mine? and another 300,000 people in the 17 days of the new Goverment last year? Mr Laws was in charge, I know just a poodle to Mr Osbone and this year the cuts start.
    WOW You have a lot of sympathy for a crook and want him back?.:D:D
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she'd claimed that money for living with a woman who later turned out to be her live-in partner then her position would be indeed comparable to David Laws. As it was she could have claimed even more money by claiming her constituency home was her second home.

I wouldn't call for Laws to be jailed, but he should not be allowed back in government this side of an election.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    If she'd claimed that money for living with a woman who later turned out to be her live-in partner then her position would be indeed comparable to David Laws. As it was she could have claimed even more money by claiming her constituency home was her second home.

I wouldn't call for Laws to be jailed, but he should not be allowed back in government this side of an election.

If she had claimed her Reddith home was her main home, which it was, she would then have had to prove surely what she was paying her sister for camping out in her house?
  • Options
    PoliticoRNPoliticoRN Posts: 5,519
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    How such a bright spark can be so dim at the same time baffles me.

He wasn't being stupid; he, like most of the rest of them, was being corrupt - and that is why, no matter how clever he is, he should never be permitted to return to parliament.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PoliticoRN wrote: »
    He wasn't being stupid; he, like most of the rest of them, was being corrupt - and that is why, no matter how clever he is, he should never be permitted to return to parliament.

I agree.

The only thing politicians have to do to get elected is for the electorate to trust them. There's no exams to pass, no skills they have to have. It's a unique job with huge priviledges and that's why corruption is so damaging.

And he couldn't do it, kick him out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good light? stealing is ok then? Why don't you get that stealing and lieing is wrong? No more no less then an elected MP.
    Are you saying because he is gay its ok to steal money from taxpayers, me, You?
    I really don't give a sh.. if he is gay, he is a CHEAT and CROOK.
  • Options
    PoliticoRNPoliticoRN Posts: 5,519
    Forum Member

I understand perfectly his motive - to get rich off the taxpayer.

The whole "didn't want to be outed and cause my family distress" BS is just smoke and mirrors.

He was fiddling his expenses, he got caught, and found guilty - he should be barred for life from holding any office that is either funded by or spends taxpayer money.

It really is that simple.
  • Options
    The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    I will be absolutely furious if Cameron and Clegg allow him back into cabinet. You can see it happening, they are already laying the groundwork. In my opinion, he should be turfed out of parliament altogether let alone coming back into cabinet. This is not an anti Lib Dem or Tory feeling either, I thought the same with Mandelson. It's a disgrace the way it's all jobs for the boys, and a nod and wink. All 3 parties are guilty of it, they seem to forget that they are public servants, but the utter contempt they hold for the general public is plain to see.
  • Options
    GeegGeeg Posts: 23,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PoliticoRN wrote: »
    I understand perfectly his motive - to get rich off the taxpayer.

The whole "didn't want to be outed and cause my family distress" BS is just smoke and mirrors.

He was fiddling his expenses, he got caught, and found guilty - he should be barred for life from holding any office that is either funded by or spends taxpayer money.

It really is that simple.

I agree with this.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she had claimed her Reddith home was her main home, which it was, she would then have had to prove surely what she was paying her sister for camping out in her house?
    No, all she would have to do was declare it as her main home. Easy to back that claim up by the number of nights she spent there, but who would have checked? It's not as if the HoC was particularly dilligent about checking up on MPs claims, after all.