Gay stereotypes

TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
Forum Member
One of the striking things listening to the views of gay people is that many (understandably) object to the cliched portrayal of them, particularly in older TV and radio shows, as speaking and acting in an exaggerated camp manner-and yet there seems to be another set of gay people who positively embrace these very cliches in their voice and mannerisms.

Do others see this divide? And can anyone offer any explanations as to why some choose to act up to the very stereotypes that others object to?

Comments

• shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Er, because everyone is different.
    End of thread.
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    Er, because everyone is different.
    End of thread.

It's not as simple as that. If it was a case of a few isolated individuals you could argue that. Instead one sees a very clear dichotomy with significant numbers of gay people seemingly embracing the very stereotypes that others object to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    It's not as simple as that. If it was a case of a few isolated individuals you could argue that. Instead one sees a very clear dichotomy with significant numbers of gay people seemingly embracing the very stereotypes that others object to.

Yes. Because it's a lifestyle they like. Nothing wrong with that.
  • ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're not 'embracing' the stereotypes, it's just who they are. Some gay men are camp and effeminate. Trust me, we don't have control over it, we didn't choose to be camp, it's not a choice, and it certainly doesn't make things easier.

Do you think it's the masculine 'straight-acting' gay guys that are homophobically bullied at school? No, it's the camp ones who would if they could just be one of the lads.

I'll never understand people who believe camp gay men are just putting on an act, and playing up to stereotypes, because what on earth is there to be gained from doing so?
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    ChipPaper wrote: »
    They're not 'embracing' the stereotypes, it's just who they are. Some gay men are camp and effeminate. Trust me, we don't have control over it, we didn't choose to be camp, it's not a choice, and it certainly doesn't make things easier.

Do you think it's the masculine 'straight-acting' gay guys that are homophobically bullied at school? No, it's the camp ones who would if they could just be one of the lads.

I'll never understand people who believe camp gay men are just putting on an act, and playing up to stereotypes, because what on earth is there to be gained from doing so?

But that's the puzzling thing then. Why should someone's sexuality result in 'camp'-or other-actions? If you saw it in all, or the majority, of gay men, you could say in some puzzling way that it is linked to homosexuality, but the fact that you only see it in certain people makes it much more difficult to establish that link.
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Camp gay men seem to me like a sort of stereotype of black american women.
  • James_MayJames_May Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh for f*ck sake...
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James_May wrote: »
    Oh for f*ck sake...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR8hl_BuQgY

Dont get it twisted! :D
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,257
    Forum Member
    James_May wrote: »
    Oh for f*ck sake...

Yep. Pretty much.
  • D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a ignorant thread. No one is 'acting' up.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shut that door!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But that's the puzzling thing then. Why should someone's sexuality result in 'camp'-or other-actions? If you saw it in all, or the majority, of gay men, you could say in some puzzling way that it is linked to homosexuality, but the fact that you only see it in certain people makes it much more difficult to establish that link.

So what exactly is your agenda here? The fact you don't seem to understand that that is how some gay people are would suggest you are a bit thick. Just saying. Or, dare I say it, HOMOPHOBIC. There, I said it.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand, it's a set of audio equipment, is there a particular colour scheme or display panel configuration that marks it as 'gay'?
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Humphries are you free as a gentleman needs his inside leg measuring....I'm free!!!

But seriously theres gay men of all sorts from the bears who can chop a tree down with their chest hairs to the most effeminate camp sorts, i've also met camp sounding straight people so for some people i wonder if the campness is a biological condition and being straight but having a camp voice actually is quite good for pulling so they say as the ladies don't consider you quite the same as other men so its easier to get talking to them and then move in
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand, it's a set of audio equipment, is there a particular colour scheme or display panel configuration that marks it as 'gay'?

Ken Wood is super gay.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,257
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    So what exactly is your agenda here? The fact you don't seem to understand that that is how some gay people are would suggest you are a bit thick. Just saying. Or, dare I say it, HOMOPHOBIC. There, I said it.

DS is always slightly homophobic sadly.
  • cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    I've always thought that gay televisión entertainers always camp it up a bit more since the general public etc seem to find it funny. And so career wise for them, it would have been a good thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    In all my years as a gay, I still can't get over that fact that we appear to be fascinating to the unwashed masses... "oh but we're not fascinated", yet here is the zillionth thread on gay matters. Nope. Not fascinated AT ALL.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Ken Wood is super gay.
    Are you sure? I thought it was just a theatrical affectation.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Ken Wood is super gay.

I thought it was a food mixer.:D
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is an issue very close to my own heart.

I have never been remotely camp, never felt inclined to be so, and frankly, can't stand it.
    As a young teenager, I used to lurk around near the entrance to the gay pub in my Midlands town, watching the screeching types mince in and out, thinking "Christ, that is NOT what I want to be any part of".

In my day, many young lads came onto the scene and caught it like a virus. I never did. I was always very concious of my "normality" and, frankly, it was always a big advantage in attracting others. In my experience, few gay men are actually sexually attracted by camp but accept it as an occupational hazard. That said, I've also encountered lads who just seemed born that way.

It has always driven me mad that it's the camp ones who get exposure on TV. I remember watching TV at home, having just come out, with that pathetic creature Grayson fannying around, and wanting the ground to swallow me up.

If I had to analyse, I'd say it's a reaction to a macho world in which they need to be seen as different. As a broad rule of thumb, the more macho the country, the camper the gay scene.
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...shut that door
  • Daniel_GleeballDaniel_Gleeball Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the striking things listening to the views of gay people is that many (understandably) object to the cliched portrayal of them, particularly in older TV and radio shows, as speaking and acting in an exaggerated camp manner-and yet there seems to be another set of gay people who positively embrace these very cliches in their voice and mannerisms.

Do others see this divide? And can anyone offer any explanations as to why some choose to act up to the very stereotypes that others object to?

I know what you mean. I suppose the main Explanation would be there are masculine gays and feminine gays. The masculine gay tends to be just one of the boys who just happens to be, physically attracted to men. The Feminine gay tends to be more blatant, in their mannerisms etc.

Another explanation could be that, some people seem to find you more interesting if you are gay. So the more obvious you act. The more obvious it is to those people you are gay.

Grahame Norton is a case in point. I could not stand him on channel four. He was so over the top. I thought 'yes you are gay we get it,' He really did live up to the gay stero type.
    Now on BBC he has toned it down completely and is in my opinion one of the best chat show hosts in the business. Now he is someone who just happens to be gay without making a big deal of it,
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now on BBC he has toned it down completely and is in my opinion one of the best chat show hosts in the business. Now he is someone who just happens to be gay without making a big deal if it.

Right ....a bit like that specs guy on C4 . Just seem to act themselves and do a pretty good job.
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think personally that we should forget stereotypes, they don't work.

There is no normal, we are all unique.

When I tell people I'm gay they're shocked, but my boyfriend says I'm supergay. Wonder why..