Possible returns for the 50th

Comments

• JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If all the people who have been mentioned were given a part in the Anniversary Special, it would need a 2-hour programme just to let them have a line of dialogue each!

Trust common sense to spoil such a great idea! ;):):D
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trust common sense to spoil such a great idea! ;):):D

Sorry, didn't mean to dampen everyone's enthusiasm. :o:)
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Is anybody expecting every character who has been mentioned to make a comeback?
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If all the people who have been mentioned were given a part in the Anniversary Special, it would need a 2-hour programme just to let them have a line of dialogue each!

Which is why we need multiple Specials each featuring only one or two Doctors. We could even have a Doctor lite Special featuring a bunch of the Companions getting together to stop an alien invasion.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sgt Benton and Captain Yates
  • john901250john901250 Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    rumour has it that Colin Baker is only in the jungle to lose enough weight to fit in the coat of many colours that he still personaly owns .. Rumour ??
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    john901250 wrote: »
    rumour has it that Colin Baker is only in the jungle to lose enough weight to fit in the coat of many colours that he still personaly owns .. Rumour ??

Until it is officially confirmed that he is coming back, it is rumour.
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Until it is officially confirmed that he is coming back, it is rumour.
    Rumour or not, I just hope he isn't wearing that coat if he does come back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TRT1968 wrote: »
    Hm, a four-pack of Tennant's extras...

Haha :)

I like it, and I'll have a 4 pack for me too.

If it is going to happen then maybe anyone returning should get a new wardrobe? They could have an excuse written into the script I'm sure.

In terminator they couldn't send clothes back for example, hence the excuse for a naked bodybuilder.

Or maybe River can just shoot any pieces of clothing she doesn't like. " you're not wearing THAT around HERE sweetie"

Maybe they'll have to blend in somewhere? Tom Baker might just pass in lots of places, and most of Sylvester McCoy's outfit too, but unless they are at a cricket match then Peter's clothes would look a bit silly, and unless they materialise on the rainbow planet I'm afraid Colin Baker has to loose the coat:p

They don't HAVE to get new clothes, it's just a thought. If they were coming back then I wouldn't mind either way. I'll watch it and hopefully it will be a good episode. That's all we can hope for in the end. If they manage to keep it a secret I'm sure it would bring a huge smile to my face when any of the old guys turn up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    I like Jenny but she was a one episode only character, so she's not as important to bring back. Susan on the other hand would be.

I'd be more excited to see either Eight or Nine because Ten appearing in it is a guarantee, isn't it?

Didnt Moffat have a word with RTD regarding her exit much like he did about Davros? Keeping it open. I remember reading about it and not in a forum.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both Bakers look too old now, however Davison, McCoy and McGann for the original run could appear okay.

Why do you have to be young looking to be a Time Lord certainly the first william hartnell did not look young originally old from the 1st series sadly dead now.!!:

Tom Baker was very good get him back for the 50th anniversary.
  • FATCHOPSFATCHOPS Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moffat has already introduced a concept in TimeCrash where two Doctors meeting shortens out the time differential making them look older. Even if you don't regard Timecrash as canon it would be a bit silly of Moffat to counter his own idea with something else. I think it's an excellent device to accommodate all returning Doctor's without worrying about them looking older.

Why does that need to happen??? What gives Timecrashes answer any more merit than a Chameleon Arch. I think it would be a great plot device, not just an explanation of why the earlier Doctors look older.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they all get blasted by some ray gun which makes them look older?
    Before then some CGI could make them look the same as they did? They'd only need a few seconds screen time maybe, then zap- ray gun gets fired and they look older. Then at the end another few seconds of CGI over their faces as they wave goodbye.
    There must be some other, more ingenious ways of writing it in I'm sure.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Baker was very good get him back for the 50th anniversary.

Especially if they can come up with an adversary that even hates children.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FATCHOPS wrote: »
    Why does that need to happen??? What gives Timecrashes answer any more merit than a Chameleon Arch. I think it would be a great plot device, not just an explanation of why the earlier Doctors look older.

I don't think Moffat would go against his own idea he's already created when an idea has been created to cover the problem of Doctors coming back older.

Not only that, what's the point of getting Doctors back purely to be human? If old Doctors come back, I want them back as The Doctor, not some second rate characterisation. This is an anniversary remember and by having all previous Doctors human sort of goes against the idea of having them back in the first place, so we can indulge in the nostalgia that their presence would create.

Imagine if they'd done that in The Five Doctors, would seem a bit pointless calling it The Five Doctors if they were all suddenly human.

Not only that, the chameleon arch thing has been done twice already, would be a bit boring if it was repeated again imo. If Tennant returns would it really work second time around?

:)
  • DODS11DODS11 Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I really want any one to return, more than any of the Doctor's, it's Ian Chesterton. Even if only for a brief cameo, it would really be a nice bookend from 1963 to 2013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DODS11 wrote: »
    If I really want any one to return, more than any of the Doctor's, it's Ian Chesterton. Even if only for a brief cameo, it would really be a nice bookend from 1963 to 2013

How would you then feel about RTD's throwaway claim in the Sarah Jane Adventures that Ian and Barbara haven't aged since the 60s?
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    How would you then feel about RTD's throwaway claim in the Sarah Jane Adventures that Ian and Barbara haven't aged since the 60s?

It was said to be just a rumour.

If it was to be mentioned they could just say that their aging slowed down rather than basically stopping and the story got exaggerated or that they did not age for a while but then started aging normally in the 1980's and Barbara had since died.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    It was said to be just a rumour.

For the record, my feeling would be: just ignore the SJA comment. The rewards for doing so — being able to use William Russell again — would far outweigh any concern to continuity even if the words had been uttered by Matt Smith himself in real Doctor Who.
  • GillrayGillray Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    How dare Tom Baker have the audacity to age in the last thirty years!? Who cares what he looks like, it's his charisma and screen presence that make him the most iconic of the Doctors, and it would be ridiculous to bring back other actors and not him. As for Colin Baker, although he has changed physically (weight and hair) he's aged quite well, he looks a lot less haggard than Sylvester McCoy for instance.

Neither of these actor's ages have any effect on their Doctor's personalities anyway, unlike say, the youthful Fifth Doctor. In particular the changes in Colin Baker's physicality actually give him a more Doctorish appearance, kind of like a rotund First Doctor, which suit his rather waspish and larger than life Doctor.

It's the personalities that matter, not the looks. That's why it's silly to talk of recasting look-a-likes or sons, never mind not including certain actors at all. They haven't just cast someone who looks like William Hartnell over and over again, they've changed the actor and used their personality as the basis for that particular Doctor.

As someone said earlier, Moffatt has already explained the aging of Doctors in Time Crash, that's why I always find it puzzling whenever people go on about the ages or looks of previous Doctors as a reason they can't appear. They have and they can.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gillray wrote: »
    How dare Tom Baker have the audacity to age in the last thirty years!? Who cares what he looks like, it's his charisma and screen presence that make him the most iconic of the Doctors, and it would be ridiculous to bring back other actors and not him. As for Colin Baker, although he has changed physically (weight and hair) he's aged quite well, he looks a lot less haggard than Sylvester McCoy for instance.

Neither of these actor's ages have any effect on their Doctor's personalities anyway, unlike say, the youthful Fifth Doctor. In particular the changes in Colin Baker's physicality actually give him a more Doctorish appearance, kind of like a rotund First Doctor, which suit his rather waspish and larger than life Doctor.

It's the personalities that matter, not the looks. That's why it's silly to talk of recasting look-a-likes or sons, never mind not including certain actors at all. They haven't just cast someone who looks like William Hartnell over and over again, they've changed the actor and used their personality as the basis for that particular Doctor.

As someone said earlier, Moffatt has already explained the aging of Doctors in Time Crash, that's why I always find it puzzling whenever people go on about the ages or looks of previous Doctors as a reason they can't appear. They have and they can.

I agree with this 100%!

Just to add to what you've said, I always feel The Doctors age within their respective incarnation anyway. Looking at the First Doctor, he regenerated because he was tired and worn out or as he put it' This body is wearing a bit thin.'

That would seem to indicate that he died from old age and he must have been young once. Look at The Master, we saw him as a boy in the Series 3 Finale's, that suggests they age the way humans do. Even Kampo Rinpoche from Planet Of The Spiders practically died from old age.

And in The Deadly Assassin, a couple of old Time Lords speculated it was time they regenerated so there's a wealth of evidence out there that they do age. Therefore it's not unreasonable to have Doctors back but later in what may be an alternative timestream had they not regenerated. That would be the only downside to my idea in that none of them grew old aside Doc 1, they just regenerated before they could get old!

:D
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »

It could mean they hadn't aged in a behavioural sense and they were still as enthused about teaching as they had been in the 60s
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian and Barbara can easily explain that they took a trip to their future one time and bumped into someone they knew. That someone then went around telling everyone how they hadn't aged. They can then say they've had to be very careful not to bump into that same person until after that event and how hard that was.

As for Doctors aging there are a few possible ways to do it.

Ignore it method. I wouldn't mind. The actors could probably all pull it off anyway, so that we are concentrating on the story and not how they look, but I'm sure much of the general public might 'get confused' or whatever.

Timecrash method is a good one.

There is the 2 doctors method, which was a good way because of the slightly mysterious history of Doc2 before he regenerated. That might not work for some others, but Colin Baker's doctor could have the same explanation. i.e the timelords 'intercepted' him and sent him on a series of secret missions for them. Afterwards wiping some of his memory and placing him back on the tardis in time to regenerate into Sylvester McCoy. Wouldn't need much screen time to explain that away.

There's also plenty of methods the writers might just come up with too.
    One I've just thought of: We've been watching for 50 years, but the Doctor has aged hundreds of years in that time. Maybe the Tardis has a gizmo, for example, which keeps him looking much the same for an extended period of time. All it takes then is for someone to say " Oh no, the temporal gizmo is on the blink, I'll have to fix it before people notice my extra wrinkles" .... or something. It could even be a plot device to get some of them together:- The Tardis collides with a miniature black hole and we think everything is ok, until Matt Smith looks in the mirror and looks older (spot of making to add a few wrinkles and a grey streak of hair), then other weird things start happening and suddenly there are several doctors wandering about the tardis at once.

Paul McGann doesn't even need any explanation. We don't know what he looked like when he regenerated.

McCoy wouldn't look too much different with some hair dye I don't think ( or maybe I'm wrong?)

David Tennant looks the same and Chris Ecclestone looks the same too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Richard1960 your missing the point if an old companion has aged that is fine.
    However the past Doctor didn't age he just turned into the new guy.
    As for Time Crash they picked Davison because he hasn't aged much, likewise in The Three Doctors,Five Doctors and Two Doctors the actors hadn't changed much.
    Tom and Colin Baker now look like Four Doctors.

As for Ian and Barbera "not aging" this means still having a young outlook, nothing to do with physical age.
  • stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for Ian and Barbera "not aging" this means still having a young outlook, nothing to do with physical age.

Where did you get that from?