6" iphone?

Comments

• swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    He did at least until the "trade offs" of those large screens can be overcome, unless you are saying that between that interview and them now testing these large screens that apple has overcome all these "trade offs"?
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    He did at least until the "trade offs" of those large screens can be overcome, unless you are saying that between that interview and them now testing these large screens that apple has overcome all these "trade offs"?

I guess that is the testing they are doing at the moment. Of course the large screen manufacturers will argue there is no trade offs. Given the advances in tech all the time it's reasonable to assume that if these issues were valid then, as opposed to apple 'mocking' Samsung, then they could well be resolved now.
    Forum Member
    So in May for numerous reasons TC said there would be no big screen iphone because of these "trade offs", then a couple of months later all these trade offs can now be magically overcome by apple and testing has commenced :D .. really?

I know none of these ridiculous trade offs were actually the reasons behind the tiny iphone screen as does everyone else I am just surprised they seem to have "realised|" this so soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So in May for numerous reasons TC said there would be no big screen iphone because of these "trade offs", then a couple of months later all these trade offs can now be magically overcome by apple and testing has commenced :D .. really?

I know none of these ridiculous trade offs were actually the reasons behind the tiny iphone screen as does everyone else I am just surprised they seem to have "realised|" this so soon.

That the beauty of the Apple R&D division. They sorted all those trade offs out :p. As opposed to realising that vast sector of the market they can no longer compete in....uh huh, deffo not that I'm sure.
  • OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member
    They don't like to tell everyone everything they are up to. Just like every other company.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There are reports that they are testing bigger screens. How would they know if the screen had improved unless they do testing. Besides, you claimed he said there would never be a bigger screen iPhone, and he clearly didn't say that.
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    There are reports that they are testing bigger screens. How would they know if the screen had improved unless they do testing. Besides, you claimed he said there would never be a bigger screen iPhone, and he clearly didn't say that.

Did I, I don't recall that :confused: which post was that obviously not the one I said he had dismissed them, which he did

Cook said

“A large screen today comes with a lot of trade-offs ....Do the photos show the proper colour; the white balance; reflectivity; battery life; brightness; the longevity of the display…

“What our customers want is for us to weigh those and come out with a decision. At this point we’ve felt that the Retina display that we’re shipping is overwhelmingly the best.”

Has that now changed so drastically and technology moved on so rapidly in the couple of months since he said it that these factors no longer apply then? that is not taking into account how long they have been actually testing (if indeed they are)
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely the interest is in mobile technology? :confused:

You can also have an interest in something but hate the product especially if its in the same area of interest. There is NOTHING weird about that, its just human.

I agree someone can have an interest in mobile technology.

And I agree that someone can hate a product in that area of interest.

The bit I find strange is someone repeatedly posting in a forum about stuff they hate or have no interest in.

Someone might be interested in music. And they might hate heavy metal music. But it would be a bit weird if someone whi hated heavy metal kept posting about heavy metal on a music forum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did I, I don't recall that :confused: which post was that obviously not the one I said he had dismissed them, which he did

Cook said

“A large screen today comes with a lot of trade-offs ....Do the photos show the proper colour; the white balance; reflectivity; battery life; brightness; the longevity of the display…

“What our customers want is for us to weigh those and come out with a decision. At this point we’ve felt that the Retina display that we’re shipping is overwhelmingly the best.”

Has that now changed so drastically and technology moved on so rapidly in the couple of months since he said it that these factors no longer apply then? that is not taking into account how long they have been actually testing (if indeed they are)

You said:

"After Tim dismissed these sizes and the iphone has to be one handed these will never see the light of day ... will they?"

Cook did not say that.

We don't know anything, except there is a rumour that they are testing a larger screen.

I get that you like to seize on the slightest thing to have a go at Apple, but sometimes a bit of perspective wouldn't go amiss.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good question, until you remember what "testing" means.

Not to mention its only a rumour anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did I, I don't recall that :confused: which post was that

Post 29.

"TC said there would be no big screen iphone"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cook said

I would imagine the technology has come on a lot. What 'couple of months' are you talking about? Apple have not released a larger screen phone, so how are you putting a timescale on it.
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    You said:

"After Tim dismissed these sizes and the iphone has to be one handed these will never see the light of day ... will they?"

Cook did not say that.

We don't know anything, except there is a rumour that they are testing a larger screen.

I get that you like to seize on the slightest thing to have a go at Apple, but sometimes a bit of perspective wouldn't go amiss.
    Post 29.

"TC said there would be no big screen iphone"

There is something seriously wrong with you to the point I really think you need help.

AND the iphone has to be one handed I did not attribute that to him you have just read it that way as per usual.

And he did say there would not be one ... are you saying he did say there would be one then :confused:

Nowhere again can i see any mention of EVER

So again the usual suspects twisting posts to fit some agenda, so to clarify did he say there would be one?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Opaque wrote: »
    They don't like to tell everyone everything they are up to. Just like every other company.

I suspect every company is testing the weird, the whacky, the different and the freaky. It's that level of "what if" that drives invention as well as a see sure to compete in all markets.
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    I would imagine the technology has come on a lot. What 'couple of months' are you talking about? Apple have not released a larger screen phone, so how are you putting a timescale on it.

It is quite obvious what couple of months I am talking about, the time that has elapsed between his dismissing of large screen phones in his statement and the now testing them phase.

So I assume then it is your contention that all those "trade offs" he mentioned have been sorted within these few months yes? otherwise what is the purpose of testing exactly is it just to see if they still exist? :rolleyes:

So did I say ever after?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is quite obvious what couple of months I am talking about, the time that has elapsed between his dismissing of large screen phones in his statement and the now testing them phase.

So I assume then it is your contention that all those "trade offs" he mentioned have been sorted within these few months yes? otherwise what is the purpose of testing exactly is it just to see if they still exist? :rolleyes:

No, why would that be my contention:confused:

They have not released a larger screen phone, so how anyone can make any assumption that the quality of the screens have or have not reached the level they want, I do not know.

So are you saying the quality of screens are not progressing, and that companies should not be testing because nothing has changed?

I see you edited an extra bit on.

Why did you reference Tim's comments then? That is why I asked what he actually said, because I can't see where he said apple would never release a larger screen phone.

Is your only point that since saying that in May, apple are now testing (not releasing) larger screen phones. Is that really the point you are making?
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't actually know anything. Journalists and 'analysts' are paid to write copy. Writing anything about Apple, even if based on total third-hand speculation from unknown or dubious sources generates a lot of interest and often heated debate. Then you get the Chinese whisper effect as other sources chime in and embellish the story and miraculously more 'details' get added out of nowhere.

It wouldn't surprise me if Apple themselves or even some other companies have a hand sometimes in fuelling rumours to get people and the tech press to constantly talk about their products, without spending a penny on advertising.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is something seriously wrong with you to the point I really think you need help.

AND the iphone has to be one handed I did not attribute that to him you have just read it that way as per usual.

And he did say there would not be one ... are you saying he did say there would be one then :confused:

Nowhere again can i see any mention of EVER

So again the usual suspects twisting posts to fit some agenda, so to clarify did he say there would be one?

I might need help, but at least I can have a civil conversation.

So who did say the iPhone "had to be one handed" then?

If TC did not say there would never be an iPhone with a larger screen, then why are you making such a big deal about a rumour that they may be testing larger screens?

I think you've tripped over your argument, which appeared to be that Apple / TC have done some sort of u-turn over this.

But then you rely on the fact that he never said didn't say ever to get you off the hook with your misquote at the start.

But then you're original argument about it being a u-turn collapses.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    What trade off's are these though he talks about?

The iphone 5 screen is very good, but its not even close to being the best. I prefer my N4 screen when calibrated properly and my battery easily outlasts the iphone 5 as did my S3.
    Forum Member
    I might need help, but at least I can have a civil conversation.

Pretty much every apple fan on here!! I remember having a massive row with several people on here because i rubbished it saying i could use my S3 at the time and now my N4 with one hand easily as well. I also said my Mrs could use her S3 with one hand. Of course i was shot down in flames for this.

Also didn't one apple add go on about the iphone being the perfect screen size because someone with the correct size of hand can use it perfectly one handed?

Also TC did say they didnt trade off one handed use with the 4" display:-
    "The new 4-inch Retina display is the most advanced display in the industry," he chirped. "No one comes close to matching its quality. We were able to develop a larger screen size without sacrificing one-handed use."

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/tim-cook-says-apple-struck-on-right-screen-size-with-iphone-5-1127147
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not seen anything that said it 'had' to be one-handed. But they did do an ad featuring a thumb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY4c2mh15Yk
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Pretty much every apple fan on here!! I remember having a massive row with several people on here because i rubbished it saying i could use my S3 at the time and now my N4 with one hand easily as well. I also said my Mrs could use her S3 with one hand. Of course i was shot down in flames for this.

Also didn't one apple add go on about the iphone being the perfect screen size because someone with the correct size of hand can use it perfectly one handed?

That's not my recollection.

I think people expressed a preference for a smaller screen, on the grounds that it was easier to use one handed.

I'll stand corrected if you can quote anyone ever saying that "the iPhone had to be one handed".

But I'm betting you won't be able to.
    Forum Member
    That's not my recollection.

It wouldn't be though would it...:rolleyes:

It was.
    I think people expressed a preference for a smaller screen, on the grounds that it was easier to use one handed.

No. I and others said it was just as easy to use a larger screen with one hand and apple claim was nonsense. I'm not going to get into another argument with you about this. That was what was said. Simple.
    I'll stand corrected if you can quote anyone ever saying that "the iPhone had to be one handed".

Apple have touted the one handed use for ages. As above even TC blabs on about it.

Drop the had.
    But I'm betting you won't be able to.

Also, don't get smart. I didn't say this in the first instance...
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    I can hold a 4.5-5inch in one hand presuming re most can its only when it gets larger then that it becomes a problem.

Same here if I need to.

Also how often do you use 1 hand if you have a 2nd one free (which is most of the time)?

Even my friends with iPhones use 2 thumbs most of the time and using 2 thumbs is made even better with keyboards like SwiftKey.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To povide a small amount of accuracy to this thread, it appears Tim Cook made the comments in April, not May.

I wonder how long apple should wait before they do testing??