Ofcom's poor advice on Nuisance Calls

Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,206
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ofcom have released some patronising advice about the problem of nuisance calls. Predictably, it starts with the usual stuff that if on application forms and websites you don't opt out of receiving marketing calls.... you'll receive marketing calls. Well, who'd a-thunk it?

Worst of all, it suggests that people receiving unwanted calls should have to PAY for receiving CLI information, PAY for a call blocker and PAY for Anonymous Call Rejection !

Similarly, when advising registering for the relatively ineffective Telephone Preference Service, Ofcom chooses to mention only their expensive 0845 number (costing up to 41p/minute) rather than 0800 398 893 which is free from landlines and payphones.

So Ofcom just puts the onus on the victims rather than doing anything to stop the problem at source by attacking the perpetrators. But it's often difficult for victims to report unwanted calls because those trying to obtain sales leads often use spoofed or withheld CLI numbers, and VoIP numbers usually appear as 'Unavailable'. Similarly, the callers hide behind the names of non-existent organisations such as the 'National Advice Centre'.

This problem will never go away until strong regulatory action is taken together with swingeing punishments. For example:-

- Telephone networks should reject calls with spoofed CLIs (invalid area codes or unallocated number blocks)

- Telcos should offer ACR free of charge to those receiving unwanted calls

- Include an option in ACR to reject 'Unavailable' CLIs, not just 'Withheld'

- Jail CEOs of companies operating in the UK that use sales leads bought from organisations calling people on the TPS list

Once again, Ofcom has shown that it's as useful as a chocolate teapot. >:(

Comments

• SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    Once again, Ofcom has shown that it's as useful as a chocolate teapot. >:(
    Unsurprising, sadly. Ofcom are no longer there to protect the users, but to maximize revenue for the spectrum owner. Gamekeeper turned pimp :(
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Intelligent people use Caller ID and then mark the number as "nuisance".
  • stanandjanstanandjan Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At Uni i was deemed very Intelligent and have had Caller ID since it was first available Decades ago..also a BT2000 device which Flashes Green for Friend and Red for All else and yet i find myself unable to MARK anything anywhere..
    Am i missing something:confused:
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Intelligent people use Caller ID and then mark the number as "nuisance".
    stanandjan wrote: »
    At Uni i was deemed very Intelligent and have had Caller ID since it was first available Decades ago..also a BT2000 device which Flashes Green for Friend and Red for All else and yet i find myself unable to MARK anything anywhere..
    Am i missing something:confused:

AFAIK there are only a few ways to mark a call as 'nuisance' either with a phone like this
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/broadband-sat-nav-phones/home-phones/digital-cordless-phones/bt-7610-cordless-phone-with-answering-machine-21491629-pdt.html

(Many variations available - single/twin/triple/quad handsets and from many sellers)

Or dedicated devices such as CPR Call Blocker and TrueCall Call Blocker which plug directly into your home phone and allow you to screen the calls you receive