The Blurb - Gaming is back on British TV.

Comments

• beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    Is the show sponsored by DmC because every show so far has featured it quite heavily.

I should imagine that's got more to do with it being the biggest UK-developed release right now- it's a lot easier to get developers, designers etc in for interviews if they just have to hop on the train rather than have a long-haul flight and bring a translator along.

Then again, having never seen the show I don't know if they do interviews, so that might be moot.
  • akhenatenakhenaten Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was the woman who was doing the bit from paris, the woman that used to be in shameless, a few years ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Could anything possibly top Gamezville, the place to go for hardcore gaming action? Its spray painted sets, awkward presenter interaction and lift-dwelling cheat dispenser will be forever etched into my memory (my last words will be a Tekken cheat code, I'm sure of it). Also, its website wouldn't allow you to right click, presumably to stop you from C&P'ing its awesomeness all over the internet.

Remarkably, according to Wikipedia, 192 episodes of Gamezville were produced. That's almost fourteen seasons of Firefly, if you want to feel a deep, cutting despair.

Also around the mid-2000s, there was the considerably better When Games Attack, hosted by Dominik Diamond who called my beloved Gamezville "the equivalent of eating your own [poop]". Charmander!

Interesting note on the lack of decent gaming television from Stuart Ashen in this video (somewhere... it's two hours long!). He claims to have pitched game related fare before only to be rebuffed with strange excuses about games being competition for television which should not, therefore, be promoted on it.
  • akhenatenakhenaten Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats a coincidence, iv'e been watching Stuart Ashens you tube videos in the last couple of days
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this for the first time last night.

Awful, just awful.

Those presenters... there's less wood in Sherwood Forest. Sure, Lizzie is decent eye-candy but so was Julia Hardy and she was a lot more convincing on screen.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally caught this at the weekend and thought it was good enough, better than nothing at least.

Just one thing I would say though is "STOP TRYING TO BE FUNNY" you're not and it just makes listening to the voice overs cringe worthy at times.
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched a few but I'm out, show is rubbish, mainly let down by the poor format and presenters.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    The presenters try way too hard to be funny. I much prefer Outside Xbox with Andy Farrant and Jane Douglas for gaming news.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Playr is better
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Parthenon wrote: »
    The presenters try way too hard to be funny.

This is a problem with too many shows out there. Obviously there isn't much on TV and Youtube really should be a good channel for gaming shows and commentators to get out there but a lot of people seem to think that getting really drunk and shouting obsceneties makes for good entertainment.

I watch Destructoid on Revision 3 (you can find that on Youtube) but the presenters on there seem to think that pretending to be ignorant of gaming trends and having annoying mini-rants over nothing is the funniest thing on earth.

The 1up show was the best for my needs online but that is long gone now.

I think the future of gaming TV shows does lie with the internet, because the networks will never fully grasp how to do them properly. they can't even get music and film review shows right either.
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They also keep falling into the trap of showing lots of cut scenes and very little gameplay; also they roll out stats without actually giving any opinion which kind of takes away the point.

They need to get some structure, do away with 90% of the attempted humour and look at what a review show should actually be.

Introduction
    WIP games previews
    Recent release game review (with opinion and scores)
    Nostalgic bit about an old game or genre
    Second maybe third game review
    Hints & tips section
    Close.
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    Teh Radge wrote: »
    This is a problem with too many [online] shows out there.

I think the future of gaming TV shows does lie with the internet, because the networks will never fully grasp how to do them properly

The situation is quite unfortunate, really- what little is on TV is too formatted and unexciting, but everything on the web isn't formatted enough, usually equating to clips and random chatter.

It'll be interesting to see who gets the right balance first.
  • premixxedpremixxed Posts: 3,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a heads up, they seem to have listened to the feedback.

The idiot sections are gone, new presenter, and much more game orientated.

Better in my opinion, though it couldn't have been much worse.
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although strangely they haven't once mentioned PS4, seems that would be a pretty big discussion point? I guess they're recording them a few weeks in advance.

They still need to show more gameplay and less FMV.

Also it's a real shame this can't be in HD. Seems pointless to show us how nice the graphics are then broadcast in SD...
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    premixxed wrote: »
    Just a heads up, they seem to have listened to the feedback.

The idiot sections are gone, new presenter......

Well, they should have just given me a job when they had the chance..... :p Not that I'm bitter or anything. ;)
    mojobrew wrote: »

Also it's a real shame this can't be in HD. Seems pointless to show us how nice the graphics are then broadcast in SD...

The sad thing is, the programme is probably made in HD as the actual Ginx TV channel does broadcast in HD. Sadly, we're not going to see it in HD here until either Ginx HD launches in the UK or it moves from Challenge.
    strangely they haven't once mentioned PS4, seems that would be a pretty big discussion point? I guess they're recording them a few weeks in advance.

Next weeks show is a BAFTA special, so they do seem to aiming for a more "current" approach.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucy the new presenter is actually quite tasty.
    Forum Member
    Terrible programme. Presented by idiots.

Playr is better
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terrible programme. Presented by idiots.

Playr is better

Yeah you said that once fanboy :rolleyes:
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when are they gonna show new PLAYR's??

that almost THREE MONTHS showing the same episode :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    gother wrote: »
    Yeah you said that once fanboy :rolleyes:
    :mad:
    Both are poor, Blurb is worse
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :mad:
    Both are poor, Blurb is worse

personally i used to prefer Cybernet. Don't know if you remember that one?
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    its awful, i only watched for that lizzies cheesy comments.

This is why i liked "Sent u a message" on Inside Xbox (360 Gamers will no what im on about)

Internet killed these TV Shows though, and going on recent form, thank god!
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    personally i used to prefer Cybernet. Don't know if you remember that one?

I used to record that on VHS as it was on so late at night.

My favourite gaming shows have been Gamesmaster and Bad Influence. All the others have been pretty dire.
  • PES 2009PES 2009 Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't seen the Blurb for a few months now so gave it another go today.

Exactly the same games as it featured on the last show I saw, The Last of Us, Watch Dogs, BioShock Infinite.

It's like they loop the same previews over and over.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the BAFTA special watch dogs looks amazing.