What kills more people in Britain; suicide or murder?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 635
Forum Member
✭✭
I was wondering this today. Does anyone know how I can find out?

Comments

• ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and a jolly good morning to you too!
    :confused:
  • Color of NightColor of Night Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have thought suicide to be honest.
  • Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look at suicide rates vs murder convictions (obviously this will be out but for a rough idea.)

I'd say it depends if you include manslaughter etc. If you include all manners of someone else killing another be it deliberate or accidental then I'd say that, but if you just mean going and stabbing someone randomly, then I'd say suicide.
  • Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be staggered if it wasn't murder.
  • ClearviewClearview Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Really? There was 5,706 sucides recorded in 2008/09 and 648 homicides
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Suicide is very common. When I worked as a Coroners Officer, i would deal with about two a month.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clearview wrote: »
    Really? There was about 5,706 sucides recorded in 2008/09 and 648 homicides

I assume they are suicide verdicts at an Inquest. If so, the number is much higher, because plenty have an Open verdict recorded.
  • The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without doubt it's suicide since murder is so comparatively rare in the UK (as a previous poster pointed out, the suicide rate is about ten times the murder rate).

The media would like you to think that we're a nation under siege from crazy killers around every corner. This is the same media that reported a WW2 bomber was found on the moon.
  • LMTieLMTie Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suicide has always run at a relatively high rate in this country.

No government ever likes to mention it because, obviously, it's an extremely embarrassing statistic for them.

When you think of the time, finances and resources that are poured into reducing deaths on our roads (which are accidents), it's staggering to think that almost double that amount of people simply choose to top themselves each year and yet the subject is rarely, if ever, mentioned by politicians.
  • The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason nobody mentions it, while at the same time going mad about crime, is that the former can only be solved by helping individuals cope with their social and/or economic conditions, personal problems and so forth, while the latter requires only that you scream and shout about bad people, the kind of vitriol which gets people votes. Reality is that the only real difference between suicide and a lot of crime is that suicides internalize their problems while criminals externalize them. It's the same reason why there's fewer female criminals than men; it's not that women are "less evil" than men, it's just that women tend to internalize their problems while men tend to externalize them. Of course there are men who internalize and women who externalize - that's the effect of individual differences - but in general that's the way it goes down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason nobody mentions it, while at the same time going mad about crime, is that the former can only be solved by helping individuals cope with their social and/or economic conditions, personal problems and so forth, while the latter requires only that you scream and shout about bad people, the kind of vitriol which gets people votes. Reality is that the only real difference between suicide and a lot of crime is that suicides internalize their problems while criminals externalize them. It's the same reason why there's fewer female criminals than men; it's not that women are "less evil" than men, it's just that women tend to internalize their problems while men tend to externalize them. Of course there are men who internalize and women who externalize - that's the effect of individual differences - but in general that's the way it goes down.

And yet young men are amongst the highest in suicide stats (along with elderly people).
  • ClearviewClearview Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LMTie wrote: »
    Suicide has always run at a relatively high rate in this country.

No government ever likes to mention it because, obviously, it's an extremely embarrassing statistic for them.

When you think of the time, finances and resources that are poured into reducing deaths on our roads (which are accidents), it's staggering to think that almost double that amount of people simply choose to top themselves each year and yet the subject is rarely, if ever, mentioned by politicians.

Actually we have one of the lowest suicide rates in Europe (look at table at end of article):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/jan/28/suicide-rates-data-ons

If we did have a high suicide rate compared to other countries it would definitely be reported in great detail in the press, such as the Daily Mail.

The fact that we have a relatively low suicide rate in comparison is why it is not reported so much.
  • LMTieLMTie Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clearview wrote: »
    Actually we have one of the lowest suicide rates in Europe (look at table at end of article):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/jan/28/suicide-rates-data-ons

If we did have a high suicide rate compared to other countries it would definitely be reported in great detail in the press, such as the Daily Mail.

The fact that we have a relatively low suicide rate in comparison is why it is not reported so much.

I meant that the suicide rate is relatively high compared to other means of death in this country, as per my road deaths reference.

Although, if you look at the figures you linked to, the UK suicide for males (which account for, by far, the biggest numbers of suicides), the UK fares quite badly.
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quite sure it's suicide.
  • Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clearview wrote:
    Really? There was 5,706 sucides recorded in 2008/09 and 648 homicides
    Suicide is very common. When I worked as a Coroners Officer, i would deal with about two a month.
    Well shut my mouth. I entirely blame the scare-mongering media for my misapprehension :D
  • staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Murder I'd say. I swear it's happening all the time.
  • julie88julie88 Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously it's suicide... suicide just doesn't make for quite the same outraged headlines as murder so often goes unmentioned in the media.... Suicide is almost only mentioned when it's a "murder suicide"...
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again, suicide..

When I was in hospital somebody committed suicide successfully by jumping in front of a train, and I've heard of many more attempts and people I didn't actually 'know' killing themselves (somebody in a different year to me in school hung himself).

I wouldn't be able to tell you the last murder that happened in this town.. no doubt there has been murder, but it's nowhere near as prolific as it's made out to be.
  • Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suicide, by far.

Last Friday was actually International Suicide Awareness Day.

Apparently, suicide is committed every 40-seconds worldwide.

And around 1 million people killed themselves last year.