BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• U.R.CorrectU.R.Correct Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They did it again on Wake U To Money this morning cutting off the last item just as it was getting interesting
    Tbf, with the sports news at 5.30 , it doesn't get the full half hour. Why dont they shorten the news as they do on a Sunday and include the sports desk as part of that half hour.
    The non league football show gets a 5.30 start this way
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of her depth Burdon and reilly amazed that ant and decwin award for 12years onthe trot. A nd wonder what its like... Carry on dreaming girls.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They did it again on Wake U To Money this morning cutting off the last item just as it was getting interesting
    Tbf, with the sports news at 5.30 , it doesn't get the full half hour. Why dont they shorten the news as they do on a Sunday and include the sports desk as part of that half hour.
    The non league football show gets a 5.30 start this way

I woke early & drifted in and out of sleep to WU2M missed the squeeze on changeover to burden but unfortunately heading to 7:00 yet again interviewee (and was def on phone
    not in studio) talking very interesting about rare dog breeds got interrupted mid sentence burden bumped out of conversation for NC to burst in about inbreeding argument.....
    It is so off putting to listen to if they could only switch roles properly it would be so much better.

When Nicky is good he's very good but often just wants to make a bold statement for dramatic effect

Your call this morning.....an hour talking about a football player kicking a ball boy......jeeezz....yawnnn... :(
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=lordloz;63819302

Your call this morning.....an hour talking about a football player kicking a ball boy......jeeezz....yawnnn... :([/QUOTE]

You don't think a professional footballer kicking a teenage boy in the ribs on a pitch is a talking point? Perhaps not for you, but it's got the "down the pub" audience right on the mark.
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    You don't think a professional footballer kicking a teenage boy in the ribs on a pitch is a talking point? Perhaps not for you, but it's got the "down the pub" audience right on the mark.

Is there actually anything about the BBC you won’t defend?

A ball boy lying on a top of a ball to waste time, a footballer trying to kick the ball away but catches the ball boy - does it really deserve a hour long phone in? It was clear from listening that there was very little to discuss and even ‘down the pub’ they’d struggle to stretch it to an hour.
    Forum Member
    Is there actually anything about the BBC you won’t defend?

A ball boy lying on a top of a ball to waste time, a footballer trying to kick the ball away but catches the ball boy - does it really deserve a hour long phone in? It was clear from listening that there was very little to discuss and even ‘down the pub’ they’d struggle to stretch it to an hour.

Is there actually anything about any of my posts which you won't attack for the sake of it?

I think that it's a valid talking point. That is my opinion. Yet it was so bad that you decided to listen for an hour? What - to see if it got any better. That's just wierd.

What else was on this morning's news agenda? Europe? TV Awards?
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Is there actually anything about any of my posts which you won't attack for the sake of it?

I think that it's a valid talking point. That is my opinion.

Is there actually any critical poster which you won't attack for the sake of it?

Plenty of stories to discuss.

How about an education discussion?
    Nick Clegg not ruling out sending his eldest son to a private school.
    School league tables: 170,000 pupils in failing schools
    Changes to A levels?

Or how about the results of the Israeli elections? Israel always makes for a lively phone in.

UK Border Agency and backlog of 16,000 immigration cases

Or yes EU membership and Davos speach
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think that it's a valid talking point. That is my opinion. Yet it was so bad that you decided to listen for an hour? What - to see if it got any better. That's just wierd.

no I don't think really it warrants more than a few minutes quite honestly - storm in a teacup for sure....streaky bacon is absolutely right ....

.other news well think Europe issue a touch more important_ or perhaps changes to A levels, apple's peaking as tech company, or the massive immigration backlog......
    any one of those I cant believe (unless deliberately trying to be a DA) you think would be less worthy of a proper discussion than footballer kicks ball hits teen ......:confused:
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    no I don't think really it warrants more than a few minutes quite honestly - storm in a teacup for sure....streaky bacon is absolutely right ....

.other news well think Europe issue a touch more important_ or perhaps changes to A levels, apple's peaking as tech company, or the massive immigration backlog......
    any one of those I cant believe (unless deliberately trying to be a DA) you think would be less worthy of a proper discussion than footballer kicks ball hits teen ......:confused:

I quite agree.

Such is the dumbed down nature of 5live you almost know instinctively what level of topic they are going to serve up on a phone in.I thankfully switched off yet again.A whole hour of discussion on this is stretching it but just shows how pitiful 5live has become when they are far more interesting topics on offer. Having given up on 5live I am now finding myself tuning more and more to the excellent and much underrated, BBC World Service.At least they treat you as though the listener as some intelligence. Obviously 5live is now marketed at the lowest level of the ' Down the Pub ' audience and is of the condescending opinion that we are all similar and can be pigeon holed of being exactly that.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,273
    Forum Member
    What was the repsone from most of the callers..were the presenters hoping for a lot of football bashing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite agree.

Such is the dumbed down nature of 5live you almost know instinctively what level of topic they are going to serve up on a phone in.I thankfully switched off yet again.A whole hour of discussion on this is stretching it but just shows how pitiful 5live has become when they are far more interesting topics on offer. Having given up on 5live I am now finding myself tuning more and more to the excellent and much underrated, BBC World Service.At least they treat you as though the listener as some intelligence. Obviously 5live is now marketed at the lowest level of the ' Down the Pub ' audience and is of the condescending opinion that we are all similar and can be pigeon holed of being exactly that.

Agreed Cyril....i often switch to WS when all night cricket/tennis/us sport/golf etc is on & having worricker on there is a reminder of halcyon days of 5live....

I didn't like him when on but I was wrong & him & fi glover highlight what a shadow of its former self it is......

shame talk radio went to be talksport at least I had an alternative....

don't know what happened to the mighty Scott Chisholm on there he was fantastic!
    old school talk jock...big personality even bigger moustache!! :D:D:D
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The diffeence. Pleat contibutes to talk sport quite often.

Sorry to return to a point we've long moved on from, but I cannot remember hearing David Pleat on talkSPORT in anything other than a guest slot, and I've been a regular listener for over ten years.

I'm thinking that perhaps he might be a frequent studio/phone guest on Keys & Gray, a programme I don't listen to so I will not have heard him appearing on it, but even if he is I don't think you can categorise him in the same way you would Matt Holland and Gabriele Marcotti, who are used as football pundits and have co-hosted programmes on both stations, or Henk Potts and David Buick, who have daily slots on some of talkSPORT's weekday shows.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to return to a point we've long moved on from, but I cannot remember hearing David Pleat on talkSPORT in anything other than a guest slot, and I've been a regular listener for over ten years.

I'm thinking that perhaps he might be a frequent studio/phone guest on Keys & Gray, a programme I don't listen to so I will not have heard him appearing on it, but even if he is I don't think you can categorise him in the same way you would Matt Holland and Gabriele Marcotti, who are used as football pundits and have co-hosted programmes on both stations, or Henk Potts and David Buick, who have daily slots on some of talkSPORT's weekday shows.[/QUOTE

however you choose to dress it up the state funded radio5 is paying people who the very next day will be on "enhancing" the output of its deadly rival talksport. Would apple engage people who the very next day would do similar work for samsung?
  • ComputerComputer Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm thinking that perhaps he might be a frequent studio/phone guest on Keys & Gray, a programme I don't listen to so I will not have heard him appearing on it, but even if he is I don't think you can categorise him in the same way you would Matt Holland and Gabriele Marcotti, who are used as football pundits and have co-hosted programmes on both stations, or Henk Potts and David Buick, who have daily slots on some of talkSPORT's weekday shows.[/QUOTE

however you choose to dress it up the state funded radio5 is paying people who the very next day will be on "enhancing" the output of its deadly rival talksport. Would apple engage people who the very next day would do similar work for samsung?

Not really the same is it? To use another analogy in the vain of yours, would a tesco use a checkout assistant who will work for asda tomorrow?
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not trying to dress anything up, I'm trying to draw the distinction between the likes of Matt Holland who freelance between talkSPORT and Radio 5 Live on a regular basis, and someone like David Pleat who is primarily a studio expert on 5 Live Sport but gets interviewed (which I'm not sure if he'd be paid for) on talkSPORT once every so often. Clearly there is a difference between the former and the latter. By the same token, would you criticise John Motson, who is employed by the BBC to commentate on Match of the Day and occasional games for Radio 5 Live, for being interviewed on Hawksbee & Jacobs once in a blue moon? Motty's situation here is very similar to Pleat's.

Personally I have no problem in freelancer working between as many employers as possible. I also don't view Radio 5 Live and talkSPORT as being the "deadly rivals" (as regards the relationship between the two stations' management) they once were around a decade ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I realise I'm answering my own question but googled Scott Chisholm & realise he went to sky & itv news channel and hilariously though for some reason I'm not surprised he had a brawl with a fellow presenter:eek:
    the day today crossed with drop the dead donkey... :D
    Forum Member
    Is there actually any critical poster which you won't attack for the sake of it?

Plenty of stories to discuss.

How about an education discussion?
    Nick Clegg not ruling out sending his eldest son to a private school.
    School league tables: 170,000 pupils in failing schools
    Changes to A levels?

Or how about the results of the Israeli elections? Israel always makes for a lively phone in.

UK Border Agency and backlog of 16,000 immigration cases

Or yes EU membership and Davos speach

On education, two of the three stories you listed broke after 9am. Clegg made his comments on LBC and the league tables weren't published until 0930.

The immigration story is interesting - yep, that could have been a contender.

EU/Davos - really, if you wanted that, Radio 4 isn't it? Ditto Israel.

Again, there's been plenty of "dumbing down" stuff on this thread today. It's quite simple. Five Live is essentially a tabloid station. That's it. Who's pretending otherwise?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On education, two of the three stories you listed broke after 9am. Clegg made his comments on LBC and the league tables weren't published until 0930.

The immigration story is interesting - yep, that could have been a contender.

EU/Davos - really, if you wanted that, Radio 4 isn't it? Ditto Israel.

Again, there's been plenty of "dumbing down" stuff on this thread today. It's quite simple. Five Live is essentially a tabloid station. That's it. Who's pretending otherwise?

not sure quite what you mean by "plenty of dumbing down on this thread" it's been quite talkative & interesting mostly and seen no evidence of any dumbing down from anyone :confused:
    Forum Member
    not sure quite what you mean by "plenty of dumbing down on this thread" it's been quite talkative & interesting mostly and seen no evidence of any dumbing down from anyone :confused:

Sorry, I meant the frequent criticism on DS that Five Live has "dumbed down". It's certainly a different product to the station which launched, and yes, has taken a more tabloid approach in recent times. That's all.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The hazardous incident at Swansea was trending on Twitter last night and had provoked a lot of discussion.

The UKBA backlog was covered by Victoria Derbyshire, who didn't say whether the problem was caused by the UKBA trying to find out whether she was in Salford, London or abroad.

David Cameron's EU speech was covered throughout the day yesterday.

The breakfast phone-in isn't a current affairs phone-in, it is a phone-uin for discussing an issue which is making the headlines at the time. That issue may not necessarily be the top story.
    Forum Member
    wns_195 wrote: »
    The hazardous incident at Swansea was trending on Twitter last night and had provoked a lot of discussion.

The UKBA backlog was covered by Victoria Derbyshire, who didn't say whether the problem was caused by the UKBA trying to find out whether she was in Salford, London or abroad.

David Cameron's EU speech was covered throughout the day yesterday.

The breakfast phone-in isn't a current affairs phone-in, it is a phone-uin for discussing an issue which is making the headlines at the time. That issue may not necessarily be the top story.

Blooming BBC apologist... ;)
  • AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Difference is spot on here. I associate David Pleat with two media organisations - ITV for whom he used to co-commentate and 909 on the BBC where I think he is quite good as a pundit for all his other flaws but not at all with TalkSport. I expect 909 to get the best people on they can, be it Pleat, Rafa Honigstein, Gab Marcotti or Guillem Balague, all of whom have appeared on 909, TalkSport and even on RTE.

I'd like to hear Alan Hansen a lot more on 909 - he is getting £1m a year after all!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I relistened to the livesey show from Monday & the earlier part was not great but the relationships section at the end on parent dating & (separate topic) affairs was actually very good & not handled in a Derbyshire "fanny-centric" (still makes me laugh each time I read that):D but sensible adult approach with couple of interesting calls... This unfortunately spoilt by the stupid singing of text messages in between which posters pointed out meant that they had already switched off...shame... this is a bit more of what late night 5live can do ...

To the phone in....it may have been a "headline" dubious... But an hour on did he didn't he kick,should he get punishment was poor & tedious....and a minor story out of others...
    No it was the soccercentric BBC approach to everything.. They have to reference it everywhere....and anyway isn't talking about an issue in the news the definition pretty much of current affairs???

on the plus side on breakfast we had no squeezed story (though wu2m at end was bizarre with burden & Reilly) and switch to 2 presenters at 7:00! :)not before...nicky obviously not interested in Icelandic names... ;)
    Forum Member
    Again, damned if they do and damned if they don't. A news and sport station having a soccer-centric phone in. Which also happened to be in all of the papers and trending on Twitter.

Are people seriously suggesting that a debate on Cameron's Europe speech would have been preferable?
  • Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    I relistened to the livesey show from Monday & the earlier part was not great but the relationships section at the end on parent dating & (separate topic) affairs was actually very good & not handled in a Derbyshire "fanny-centric" (still makes me laugh each time I read that):D but sensible adult approach with couple of interesting calls... This unfortunately spoilt by the stupid singing of text messages in between which posters pointed out meant that they had already switched off...shame... this is a bit more of what late night 5live can do ...

To the phone in....it may have been a "headline" dubious... But an hour on did he didn't he kick,should he get punishment was poor & tedious....and a minor story out of others...
    No it was the soccercentric BBC approach to everything.. They have to reference it everywhere....and anyway isn't talking about an issue in the news the definition pretty much of current affairs???

on the plus side on breakfast we had no squeezed story (though wu2m at end was bizarre with burden & Reilly) and switch to 2 presenters at 7:00! :)not before...nicky obviously not interested in Icelandic names... ;)

They did give it the full three minutes, bit to be honest I think that Campbell was speechless at Burdens handling of the interview with Sally Magnusson. You could hear the panic in her voice as Magnusson explained how there are three genders in the Icelandic language, and the music of doom got louder and louder....
This discussion has been closed.