Options

A Chance Encounter With Someone Famous

SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did you ever meet a famous person by chance? Were they behind you in a queue perhaps, or shopping in the supermarket. Did you happen to speak to them as well, and were they looking good, or not their best when you saw them ?

Comments

• Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Justin Lee Collins out and about quite a lot, being that we live in the same City. He is always very friendly.

Probably who I would consider the biggest celebrities I have met (although not by chance) were Take That, I even got to pinch Howards bum, and collected photographic proof of me doing so! :D
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you ever meet a famous person by chance? Were they behind you in a queue perhaps, or shopping in the supermarket. Did you happen to speak to them as well, and were they looking good, or not their best when you saw them ?

Years ago when I was about 16 I was on the way to the pub with my pals and we saw a horse that had escaped from a field and wandered into the garden of a quite impressive house. We knocked on the door and spoke to the woman who answered to tell her that there was a horse in her garden and she looked familiar. And I said to her " you look ever so much like that woman on the telly " and she nodded with a very forced and bored smile on her face......

She actually made us coffee but we had to stand in the front garden drinking it :o It was horrible though, we threw it away into the plants.
  • Options
    sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    I once 'met' David Bailey. I say 'met'. I was working behind a till and his wife was buying something. She looked thin and gorgeous. He looked old and ropey. And this was years ago, so God knows what he looks like now.

Same till, I served Angela Pleasence. She looked thin and not so gorgeous.
  • Options
    mirandashellmirandashell Posts: 2,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember seeing your man who played Finn in Casualty once. I walked into a sandwich shop and he was stood in front of the counter, chatting up the assistant. So I said 'excuse me'. I was starving and dying for a sandwich and just wanted him to move out of the way. But he turned around and gave me a gorgeous smile, like he was really pleased to meet me. But me, I just pointed at the counter, raised my eyebrows and said 'excuse me...' Poor bloke, he was so embarrassed, bless him...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Years ago when I was about 16 I was on the way to the pub with my pals and we saw a horse that had escaped from a field and wandered into the garden of a quite impressive house. We knocked on the door and spoke to the woman who answered to tell her that there was a horse in her garden and she looked familiar. And I said to her " you look ever so much like that woman on the telly " and she nodded with a very forced and bored smile on her face......

She actually made us coffee but we had to stand in the front garden drinking it :o It was horrible though, we threw it away into the plants.

Yeah, but who was it?
  • Options
    craigy132craigy132 Posts: 1,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once saw curly off corrie on the revolution at blackpool
  • Options
    trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    whilst stumbling from bar to bar on a boozy night up in Preston years ago, i bumped into some young kids, and as we all attempted to extricate ourselves on the street, i realised i had accosted the lad who plays Andy Sugden off Emmerdale. he was really small.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Another recollection. Not me, but my son served Chris Evans on the deli counter of a local supermarket and according to my son, Chris was a difficult customer.

Chris wanted a ready-cooked chicken and they have different flavours apparently (with garlic, lemon, whatever). So, my son asked what flavour he would like. And according to my son, he was really awkward. Get this, Chris said, 'I don't mind'.

My son wasn't joking. He thought that was being difficult! Teenage boys! But images are built on stuff like that.
  • Options
    *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    I was behind Simon Cowell in the queue in the shop at Oxford Services once :) I was in a world of my own and didn't even notice him until the girl on the checkout went 'OMG you're Simon Cowell !!' He was really nice, chatty and down to earth and was obviously used to getting recognised - he wasn't very tall :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sadoldbird wrote: »
    Yeah, but who was it?

Oh :o

Miriam Stoppard

Yes I know - 'twas a very very long time ago :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh :o

Miriam Stoppard

Yes I know - 'twas a very very long time ago :o

Fair does. My brushes with the rich and famous - earlier post - happened years ago. I'm just waiting for someone to say 'who?'.

(But I used to like Miriam Stoppard. Where did she go? She just vanished from our awareness.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Prescott walked past me on the platform of Cambridge station the other week.

I didn't say anything as my train was due and he had a guy with him who gave off 'don't even think about' vibes.

Apparently Take That used to stay at the hotel my dad ran, Howard liked my froggy wellies but sadly I was too young to remember this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    John Prescott walked past me on the platform of Cambridge station the other week.

I didn't say anything as my train was due and he had a guy with him who gave off 'don't even think about' vibes.

Apparently Take That used to stay at the hotel my dad ran, Howard liked my froggy wellies but sadly I was too young to remember this.

What? You didn't even shout, 'how's Ness these days?'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spent most evenings of a two-week spell having drinks in my local with Orlando Bloom, before I knew who he was.

He was in a play at the theatre in town and his Mum (who I later found out to be Susannah York, duh!) had a friend with a house close to my local, who they came and stayed with.

My birthday happened to be the weekend the play was closing, and I managed to get Ollie (as Orlando was introduced to me) to arrange for a me and friend to attend the last matinee. The following day, he and his girlfriend and some of the younger cast-members met me and a bunch of mates in another pub for a couple of pints before travelling back to London for rehearsals.

After they'd gone, there was this almighty excitement and all sorts, with my mates wanting to know how I'd managed to arrange it, and I honestly didn't know what they were on about. Until someone told me his name, And reminded me he'd just played Legolas in the first LOTR film.

I felt like a total ass :o:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    I once bumped into Morton Harkett in Harrods once, but I was too shy to ask for an autograph or photo, more fool me, I'd jump his bones now if I bumped into him :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once bumped into Morton Harkett in Harrods once, but I was too shy to ask for an autograph or photo, more fool me, I'd jump his bones now if I bumped into him :D

I used to fancy him like mad :D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    muffin789 wrote: »
    I used to fancy him like mad :D:D

Me too!!! Pity I wasn't braver back then lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OOOh another one - when I was working in hotels on reception I checked in someone and he said his name and I had to get him to repeat it cos I didn't catch what he said.

Later the other girls really took the piss cos he was a world famous athlete who had won about 300 gold medals at the bloody olympics or something and was about 6'7" and I'll be damned if I can remember his name, even now ....

Help me out someone - it would have been about er... 1982/3 of thereabouts ????

edit - Geoff Capes - just managed to find it on google
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know, I know coulda woulda shoulda. I didn't twig it was actually him until he was almost level with me, then like the wind, he was gone.
  • Options
    SuesSues Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once saw Donald Sinden sitting having a quiet pint in our local - he was performing in a nearby town. My hubby and I also met Willy Thorne. He was sitting in the seat in front of us on an EasyJet flight. He was an absolute gentleman.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Eh? :confused:
  • Options
    fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to meet loads of celebs at work ( I worked in posh shop on sloane st) but my best chance meeting was when I met Katie Price ( i liked her then) and Alex gerrard in the sanderson hotel, they invited us back to their hotel room and we partied with them till about 6am. Katie left earlier cos we got told off for making too much noise. Was a good night and had a great pic for Facebook the next day, even though it's blurry cos my sister was drunk:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tegan1973 wrote: »

OH !!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tegan1973 wrote: »

John Prescott was written as an ex of Nessa's, a fictional character in Gavin & Stacey, he made a guest appearance in the last episode.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry? What advice did you want?