Great British Menu Series 8

Comments

• coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Dission wrote: »
    But I think the judges´ personal preferences are a reflection of what people´s preferences are. They are four judges and 2 dislike the concept of Tiramisú, then surely that´s probably the kind of stats you would come across with the public, like 50 per cent can´t stand the dessert.

I hate it, I swear, tried so many, home-made, made it myself, supermarket ones, restaurants, fine dining establishments... and I just hated them all. Only once I liked and it was because it virtually had no coffee, or had Mocha instead which was more subtle and pleasant. I reckon that is what Colin should do, make it fit for everyone´s palate by toning down the coffee.

I understand exactly what it's like when you hate a particular dish or ingredient, but I can't agree that Colin should change his dish simply because some people don't like coffee!

In the first instance, two out of four judges disliking tiramisu is not a statistically relevant sample, so does not mean that 50% of the population don't like the dish.

Secondly, if we get to the point where some sort of poll has to be conducted to determine if a certain percentage of the population might not like a particular ingredient, we'd just end up with bland, insipid, "safe" dishes! There would certainly be a lot less of this "molecular gastronomy" as the majority of the public, if questioned, wouldn't want their food to be stuffed full of E-numbers!

Where would you draw the line? If personal taste preferences should taken into account, what about allergens?

Should Steph have avoided using hazelnuts in her main dish? Should shellfish no longer be an option for the fish course? Should wheat gluten be avoided?

Should pork and beef be off the menu because a significant number of people won't eat it for religious reasons?

Thankfully, the judges seemed to put aside their subjective views, and focused on the quality of the dishes. Even Matthew said that both chefs finished on "a spectacular high". That's the way it should be. They should assess the dishes as objectively as possible, otherwise they shouldn't be judging.

For that very reason, I had serious doubts about Jason Atherton's judging. He made a big deal about how he loved Japanese food so was really enthusiastic about Colin's fish dish even before he'd tasted it, and was talking about giving it a 9 or 10 ... despite the fact it had nothing to do with the brief ! What was all that about? :confused:

He than very clearly had a downer on foraged ingredients, clearly not realising that (a) berries, nuts, herbs, mushrooms etc are traditional "foraged" ingredients, and (b) he was supposed to be judging on the quality of the dish, not his own pet hates! :rolleyes:

The bottom line is that you're never going to cook a dish which everyone likes, and to be blunt, if some freeloader at the banquet doesn't like tiramisu, they have the option not to eat it! :D
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Dission wrote: »
    But I think the judges´ personal preferences are a reflection of what people´s preferences are. They are four judges and 2 dislike the concept of Tiramisú, then surely that´s probably the kind of stats you would come across with the public, like 50 per cent can´t stand the dessert.

I hate it, I swear, tried so many, home-made, made it myself, supermarket ones, restaurants, fine dining establishments... and I just hated them all. Only once I liked and it was because it virtually had no coffee, or had Mocha instead which was more subtle and pleasant. I reckon that is what Colin should do, make it fit for everyone´s palate by toning down the coffee.

That's really not how statistics work. Two out of four people does not equal 50% of the population!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    JulesF wrote: »
    That's really not how statistics work. Two out of four people does not equal 50% of the population!

No, of course. i didn´t mean that anyway :p, I should have said that maybe it is an indicator of what the trend is out there, of course I may be wrong but I was drawing on the comments made on this board of people disliking Tiramisú aswell.

I agree, actually.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe so many of you don't like tiramisu! It's one of the many reasons why I'm a porker! Send your portions my way ;)

What "region" is it this week? Can only be better than last week. Let's face it, it can't get much worse...
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    rumtruffle wrote: »
    I can't believe so many of you don't like tiramisu! It's one of the many reasons why I'm a porker! Send your portions my way ;)

What "region" is it this week? Can only be better than last week. Let's face it, it can't get much worse...

Love coffee, hate tiramisu, you can gladly have mine.

No idea of the region, but lovely, lovely Tom Kerridge is the judge :)
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its the South West this week, with 3 new chefs. And Tom Kerridge is doing the judging.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Hurrah! Lovely Tom! I wish he was still a contestant - he always produced such lovely looking food and always tried to match the brief.
  • Molly HuntMolly Hunt Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll probably watch this week's as it's Tom - looking forward to some 'sensible' comments and judging.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I understand exactly what it's like when you hate a particular dish or ingredient, but I can't agree that Colin should change his dish simply because some people don't like coffee!

In the first instance, two out of four judges disliking tiramisu is not a statistically relevant sample, so does not mean that 50% of the population don't like the dish.

Secondly, if we get to the point where some sort of poll has to be conducted to determine if a certain percentage of the population might not like a particular ingredient, we'd just end up with bland, insipid, "safe" dishes! There would certainly be a lot less of this "molecular gastronomy" as the majority of the public, if questioned, wouldn't want their food to be stuffed full of E-numbers!

Where would you draw the line? If personal taste preferences should taken into account, what about allergens?

Should Steph have avoided using hazelnuts in her main dish? Should shellfish no longer be an option for the fish course? Should wheat gluten be avoided?

Should pork and beef be off the menu because a significant number of people won't eat it for religious reasons?

Thankfully, the judges seemed to put aside their subjective views, and focused on the quality of the dishes. Even Matthew said that both chefs finished on "a spectacular high". That's the way it should be. They should assess the dishes as objectively as possible, otherwise they shouldn't be judging.

For that very reason, I had serious doubts about Jason Atherton's judging. He made a big deal about how he loved Japanese food so was really enthusiastic about Colin's fish dish even before he'd tasted it, and was talking about giving it a 9 or 10 ... despite the fact it had nothing to do with the brief ! What was all that about? :confused:

He than very clearly had a downer on foraged ingredients, clearly not realising that (a) berries, nuts, herbs, mushrooms etc are traditional "foraged" ingredients, and (b) he was supposed to be judging on the quality of the dish, not his own pet hates! :rolleyes:

The bottom line is that you're never going to cook a dish which everyone likes, and to be blunt, if some freeloader at the banquet doesn't like tiramisu, they have the option not to eat it! :D
    I felt the same about Atherton. He seemed to be judging what he would have put on the plate instead of what was put infront of him.
    Colin came to the decision to leave off the jelly in his main. I put that down to the complication and fuss of making them rather than how they added to the taste of the dish.
    Atherton though said he was glad it was left off without even tasting it.
    Plus there were other comments throughout the week where he seemed to show bias to really high end restaurant cooking over decent restaurant and gastropub offerings.

He didn't go overboard in the witty humour mantra as Corrican did but i'm not sure he himself could produce food for this brief.
    Forum Member
    Its the South West this week, with 3 new chefs. And Tom Kerridge is doing the judging.
    Didn't instantly recognise the name Peter Sanchez-Iglesias but I did recognise the restaurant name Casamia.
    It won Ramsay's Best Restaurant a few years back.
  • TheAuburnEnigmaTheAuburnEnigma Posts: 17,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can understand those who don't like tiramisu, the traditional Italian ones tend to be too strong.

I make my own and not much coffee is used tbh and you can hardly taste it. Tiramisu is meant to have marsala wine in but we make it without and we actually prefer it that way, it's more creamy.

The main issue if the tiramisu makes it is that it is a bit rich, so the dishes before might need to offset that a little.
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay Tom :)

I just read the word Picnic on the chalkboards as Panic :D
  • DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mishcoll wrote: »
    Yay Tom :)

I just said that out loud! :o:D
  • vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Green eggs and ham! Quite refreshing having three newbies.
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vixyvic wrote: »
    Green eggs and ham!

I'd order that if it was on a menu, comic relief or not :D
  • vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear picnics and scotch eggs. :eek:
    Forum Member
    Well this looks like an utter shambles.

At this point i'd go with a greasy spoon ham, egg & chips
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Felt sorry for her, seemed like a good idea.

Peter. Hm. It looks good but very late and doesn't care that he's putting others out.
  • DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're staying at the Kingham Plough later this year...remind me not to order anything resembling (even vaguely!) green eggs and ham.
    Forum Member
    Liking the judging from TK.

His comments went along with the marks and drew a line with the penalty point.
    Forum Member
    As soon as I saw the crab in that preview I instantly thought how TK would judge it.
    Phil is back tomorrow for the judging.
  • Friday's childFriday's child Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    I would eat any of those starters, though Peter's appealed to me the least.

Good judging from TK and nice to see him make it clear early on that extreme lateness will be penalised.

I like that we have three new chefs, some of the previous rounds have been very predictable.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    Felt sorry for her, seemed like a good idea.

Peter. Hm. It looks good but very late and doesn't care that he's putting others out.

Agree 100%.

Emily had every reason to be a bit pee'd off (no pun intended!) as she could have done with an extra 10 minutes to get her parfait to set. I loved her comment about Peter's dish when she asked the obvious question "What would it have been like if he'd served it on time?" :cool:

A BIG "hats off" to TK for penalising Peter for being late. I thought Phil Howard bottled it a couple of weeks ago when he didn't do that.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Hopefully Emily will be ok once her nerves settle, I liked the sound of her dish must more than the other two.

Doesn't look like TK is going to tolerate lateness or mistakes, could be some low marks coming. I get the feeling he's going to be looking for dishes that meet the brief more than some of the previous judges as well.
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was very pleased with TK's penalty point for lateness.

I may have missed something, but why is Phil judging tomorrow, and why is TK judging in the part of the country he's from?