First Down Magazine closes

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,174
Forum Member
Just saw that the long running British gridiron magazine First Down has published its last issue, which is a very sad sight. I thought it would have carried on, what with the Dolphins/Giants game coming this season at Wembley Stadium, but I'm guessing UK coverage of American Football on the internet has rendered the magazine obsolete.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just saw that the long running British gridiron magazine First Down has published its last issue, which is a very sad sight. I thought it would have carried on, what with the Dolphins/Giants game coming this season at Wembley Stadium, but I'm guessing UK coverage of American Football on the internet has rendered the magazine obsolete.

i remember buying First Down years ago when it was newspaper size, rather than the slimmed down magazine style.... i definitely think the internet will have affected it, people have access to 'real time' news now, unlike when first down was in its hey day there was only a weekly program about i (in season)
  • clycly Posts: 1,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel a touch guilty at hearing this. I would have resumed purchasing it on a weekly basis just before the season began, in order to catch the season previews.

Normally, i would then buy it for the duration of the season and for one week after the Super Bowl. Although, to be honest, there was a strong possibility i might have only bought it for the previews and the play-offs. The reason?, the same one responsible for it's demise, instant access to every minute detail of the NFL on the internet. Whether breaking news or every statistic imaginable, no printed source can compare.