TV Actors/Actresses who have never quite reached their potential?

Comments

• woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure why Jean Marsh isn't huge. A great actress, behind some fantastic productions (Upstairs, Downstairs being the prime example) and by all accounts a genuinely lovely, witty woman. She's one of the few stars I'd genuinely consider writing to or requesting an autograph from. Like Annette Crosbie, she's another one I'd consider absolutely deserves the level of fame as Judi Dench or Maggie Smith.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread should have a warning for "luvvies" to look away :D

I dont think he has ever been out of work but I would nominate Ben Cross who shone in Best Picture Oscar winning Charriots of Fire and a brilliant BBC version of The Citadel in the early eighties. Thought I would have seen his name up in lights a few more times, though maybe it is who you know in the business. Its probably very easy to be unfair with this kind of question.
  • enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eva Pope.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Julie Graham.... she had the potential to reach the level of being an absolutely dreadful actress but she never got that high.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julie Graham.... she had the potential to reach the level of being an absolutely dreadful actress but she never got that high.

Ho, ho, everything she appears in gets cancelled like Survivors, Bonekickers and The Bill.
  • Doll FeetDoll Feet Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to respectfully disagree. Look at Depp: Edward Scissorhands, Willy Wonka, Jack Sparrow... big characters, very different and he was utterly mesmerising as all of them. Whitehouse, no exaggeration, can be that good. That series where he played the patients of a psychologist was amazing.

Help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aVrKTnCsn8 I loved that :)

Whenever I watch Kes I always think David Bradley should have been huge. So natural in front of the camera. I only remember seeing him in one more thing years later and he still held your attention, he was the only memorable thing in it.

I met Kim Thompson very briefly c1990. Incredibly beautiful obviously but she also had a notable presence about her. She's been in plenty of things over the years but I always thought she should have been a lot bigger than she is.

Also, Max Headroom.
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having just watched Doctor Who, I'd have to say Rachael Stirling - after Tipping the Velvet she looked like she'd be huge, but didn't seem out of place in this role - which, with all due respect as a long-time Who fan (since Baker T days) she should be above with her being a "wow" casting.
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just seen Diana Rigg in an episode of Doctor Who and realised she hasn't done any TV work since 2006.

Patricia Routledge and Penelope Keith haven't done any TV work for years but I know they're active in the theatre.

Annette Crosbie is woefully underused as an actress these days.

Thelma Barlow (Mavis in Coronation Street) has gone very quiet, unlike Anne Reid, who's never out of work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Ho, ho, everything she appears in gets cancelled like Survivors, Bonekickers and The Bill.

I don't know what it is about her but she keeps getting given work :confused:

Another one who I can't tak eto either although she is feted by critics is Gina McKee.... two facial expressions - and they are both the same.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what it is about her but she keeps getting given work :confused:

Another one who I can't tak eto either although she is feted by critics is Gina McKee.... two facial expressions - and they are both the same.

Gina's overrated. One actor I did think showed a lot of potential, but has nowhere to go is Colin Mc Readie, of Taggart fame. He was really adept at playing a gay outsider detective when in real life he is a married man. Now Taggart has gone, and STV rarely make drama now, he seems to have nowhere to go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Gina's overrated. One actor I did think showed a lot of potential, but has nowhere to go is Colin Mc Readie, of Taggart fame. He was really adept at playing a gay outsider detective when in real life he is a married man. Now Taggart has gone, and STV rarely make drama now, he seems to have nowhere to go.

You can always catch up with Robbie..... In Corrie - he plays Karl (a Manc with a dodgy accent.) Agree about Colin M.
  • actual_soapactual_soap Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    Niamh Cussack
    Daniela Nardini
    Gary Webster
    Martine McCutcheon
    Jill Halfpenny
    Billie Piper
    Luisa Bradshaw-White
    Natasha Little
    Sarah Lancashire
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sarah Manners aka 'Bex' from Casualty.

Gather she was also in 'Mile High', 'The Bill', & 'Doctors' as well.

Wasn't there a drama based on killer Tracie Andrews that she starred in too?

ISTR something, but I can't find anything on it.

She was last heard of in a touring play with Leslie Grantham, but had also done some teaching whilst 'resting' as well.

Around the time of The Bill, she had also divorced from her hubby as well.

(Her brother Tom also used to work at BBC WM & occasionally used to cover the early shifts & I occasionally texted in, to ask what she was up to professionally, but Tom hasn't been on WM for some time either!)
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    Niamh Cussack
    Daniela Nardini
    Gary Webster
    Martine McCutcheon
    Jill Halfpenny
    Billie Piper
    Luisa Bradshaw-White
    Natasha Little
    Sarah Lancashire

I'd forgotten about Luisa Bradshaw-White, I loved her in Grange Hill!

Julie Graham, I've never been able to stand, don't know why, but I can't watch her in anything.
  • Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    DanielF wrote: »
    Having just watched Doctor Who, I'd have to say Rachael Stirling - after Tipping the Velvet she looked like she'd be huge, but didn't seem out of place in this role - which, with all due respect as a long-time Who fan (since Baker T days) she should be above with her being a "wow" casting.

There is a clip from Tipping the Velvet (on a certain video website) between her and a certain B. Cumberbatch (which is funny, as both their mothers also share scenes together in an episode of The Avengers).

Speaking of which, I believe that Diana Rigg has a part in Game of Thrones these days (for the person who asked).
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DanielF wrote: »

I was huge after watching Tipping The Velvet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I loved "This Life" but the main actresses don't seem to work as much as Jack Davenport and Andrew Lincoln.

Ellie Beaven
    was in quite a few programmes during my childhood and played the daughter in "Buster".

Jan Francis from "Just Good Friends".

I've just realised that my next nominations are married- Sarah Alexander and Peter Serafinowicz.
  • crunchie crispcrunchie crisp Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    ichou wrote: »
    I like her too, but she was awful in Hebburn ( to be fair I only watched one episode).
    Talking of OFITN, Chris Ecclestone is the obvious underachiever......he looks like a Greek God and is one of the few obvious Hollywood contenders - what happened there?

Remember seeing an interview with Jimmy McGovern about Cracker, in this he alludied to Mr Ecclestone having a slightly overflated ego, maybe this could explain his non achievement :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Paul McGann would become a much bigger name than he did.
    He was excellent, imho, in The Monacled Mutineer, and I know he was never short of work, but he never became a really big star.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    John Sessions and Josie Lawrence.

Josie. :) Saw her in The King and I many moons ago. She would have made a great Mama Rose in Gypsy. Seriously talented and under-used.

Treva Etienne (The Last Train)
  • DesmondpDesmondp Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    the girl who playing Georgina Hayes in Grange Hill, Samantha Lewis i think it is

Gorgeous girl
  • DoohDahDoohDah Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Doll Feet wrote: »
    Help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aVrKTnCsn8 I loved that :)

ooh thanks for posting this. Have wanted to re-watch that for ages, didn't realise it was on youtube.
  • clarendelclarendel Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    ichou wrote: »
    John Simm doesn't do as much as he could and could be in more films than he has been. Also, why haven't we seen Peter Egan much in the last few years, or Tom Conte?

I saw Peter Egan in a play called People at the National Theatre last week with Frances de la Tour and Selina Cadell (Mrs Tishell in Doc Martin).
  • Lesley_Ann_McArLesley_Ann_McAr Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd a look at what Matt Frew who played Max Headroom does now, he's still acting and has homes in America and Canada. Oh Peter Egan goes to Cambodia quite a bit as he's an ambassador for the Moon Bear charity I support.
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    Damzel wrote: »
    I loved "This Life" but the main actresses don't seem to work as much as Jack Davenport and Andrew Lincoln.

Ellie Beaven
    was in quite a few programmes during my childhood and played the daughter in "Buster".

Jan Francis from "Just Good Friends".

I've just realised that my next nominations are married- Sarah Alexander and Peter Serafinowicz.

I could have sworn Ellie Beaven was in Endeavour last Sunday.