The CNBC General Discussion Thread

Comments

• cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    It doesn't look like CNBC Europe will ever broadcast in widescreen, let alone HD! In the US they do and they have CNBC HD+, so why can't Europe? Are they 10 years behind there? :(
  • JeffmisterJeffmister Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    It doesn't look like CNBC Europe will ever broadcast in widescreen, let alone HD! In the US they do and they have CNBC HD+, so why can't Europe? Are they 10 years behind there? :(
    CNBC US isn't truly in widescreen, the content is still in 4:3 but they add extra graphics on the right-hand side to make the channel 16:9
    Forum Member
    Jeffmister wrote: »
    CNBC US isn't truly in widescreen, the content is still in 4:3 but they add extra graphics on the right-hand side to make the channel 16:9

They have the extra graphics on CNBC HD+, but I'm not sure about the normal CNBC US channel. I always thought the SD channel broadcast in 16:9.
  • paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CNN over here didn't start broadcasting in widescreen until recently I believe so you never know...
    Forum Member
    CNN over here didn't start broadcasting in widescreen until recently I believe so you never know...

True dat :p Nothing is ever certain in the world of CNBC.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats the latest with CNBC?
  • rkolsenrkolsen Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    They have the extra graphics on CNBC HD+, but I'm not sure about the normal CNBC US channel. I always thought the SD channel broadcast in 16:9.

The channel is transmitted and carried in 1080i30 format. During the day part programming (0400-1900 hrs) they use the mirrored L bar to provide additional information. Here's a iPad screen grab of their HD+ graphics. The physical studio cameras are capable of doing HD but if I recall correctly they are cropped and used in standard definition in their control room where that feed goes to master control which adds all their tickers and the sidebar. I read an article/white paper/case study that their graphics system (I believe ViZrt) produces about a million elements a day in real time. When MSNBC launched their HD service they used a similar side bar displaying headlines followed by about two sentences of the story, stock information and even a second video feed during their "hard news" programs but after two months they switched to full screen HD video.

After their day part programming all primetime programming is produced and broadcast in the traditional sense. The only exceptions is the Suze Orman Show and paid programming.

When CNBC analysts do hits for NBC News programs, MSNBC and most affiliates they appear in HD. The only exception to this rule is when Stephen Sedgwick does a hit for Way Too Early on MSNBC around 0545 ET from the London Bureau. The footage is upscaled from SD 16:9.

The two other business channels (Bloomberg and Fox Business) in the US take a similar approach to their HD feeds using a much smaller mirrored L bar but they do not center crop the talent camera which reduces the amount of data they display.

In reality people and business don't necessarily watch for the talent (although it's a factor) they watch for the data that's provided, which is partly the reason CNBC only had one show that's personality driven which is Mad Money with Jim Cramer.
  • Martin KongMartin Kong Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats the latest with CNBC?

Ross Westgate left CNBC.
  • epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ross Westgate left CNBC.
    Yes to launch an unspecified business venture!
    Forum Member
    Ross Westgate left CNBC.

Really?! When did he leave? :cry: I met him in 2007 and I had a photo taken with him! My mum had a bit of a crush on him. She thought he was gorgeous!
  • rkolsenrkolsen Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Really?! When did he leave? :cry: I met him in 2007 and I had a photo taken with him! My mum had a bit of a crush on him. She thought he was gorgeous!

I haven't seen him for about a year when Steve Sedgwick started doing business reports for MSNBC's First Look and Way Too Early shows. After 6 AM MSNBC stops using the international reporters and uses domestic CNBC staffers.

However I do think I have seen him when worldwide exchange is simulcast here in the US within the last eight months.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When CNBC airs the Tonight Show (which I think is edited down by my local butcher with his meat cleaver) why is there a large caption saying TV14 in the top left-hand corner please ?
    Forum Member
    rkolsen wrote: »
    I haven't seen him for about a year when Steve Sedgwick started doing business reports for MSNBC's First Look and Way Too Early shows. After 6 AM MSNBC stops using the international reporters and uses domestic CNBC staffers.

However I do think I have seen him when worldwide exchange is simulcast here in the US within the last eight months.

Maybe he stopped doing the MSNBC business reports. I wouldn't really know much about that. He always presented Worldwide Exchange though. He was the London anchor. I started watching the channel a few months after that show first started. I remember it used to be presented by three people presenting from London, New York and Singapore all at the same time. Quite an amazing feat really :D Then it eventually ended up just being hosted by Ross. I used to watch the show during school holidays or when I was off sick from school. I miss the CNBC of the mid-late 00s :( I was obsessed with it then! If only I could change my username...
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    When CNBC airs the Tonight Show (which I think is edited down by my local butcher with his meat cleaver) why is there a large caption saying TV14 in the top left-hand corner please ?

The Tonight Show is shown in full on the weekends from 8pm, that’s when I normally watch/record it as the weekday broadcasts are missing about 10 minutes each time.

As for the ‘TV14’ on the top left of the screen, its part of the US parental control rating system. As CNBC simply take a feed from the US broadcast it still has the on screen graphics. More info here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_Parental_Guidelines
    Forum Member
    I have a feeling CNBC in Europe have either hit a new low or they're trying to appeal to a broader audience. I was watching NBC Nightly News not long ago and during one of the several commercial breaks they were advertising a show called City Limits Live. It's being shown on Saturday at 4pm I believe. There's nothing on cnbc.com about it. I Googled it and this is all I could find:

http://www.applausestore.com/mobile/details2.php?id=3315

It's supposed to be an "urban London street art film." Seriously, what has it got to do with business? Is it part of their "Life" weekend programming or is it a new low for them? Anyone else know anything about it? :confused:
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone else see Carolin Roth in her Germany shirt this morning?

I used to think she was american.
    Forum Member
    I didn't see it but I think she is German. Her maiden name was Schrober and IIRC that was her name when she first joined CNBC. She got married a while back (can't remember when) and Roth is her married name. It's just that she seems to speak English with an American accent. A lot of people in Germany do that. One year I was there on holidays and there were some youngsters (student age I believe) in a shopping centre and they were talking English but with a bit of an American accent. Not sure why.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a feeling CNBC in Europe have either hit a new low or they're trying to appeal to a broader audience. I was watching NBC Nightly News not long ago and during one of the several commercial breaks they were advertising a show called City Limits Live. It's being shown on Saturday at 4pm I believe. There's nothing on cnbc.com about it. I Googled it and this is all I could find:

http://www.applausestore.com/mobile/details2.php?id=3315

It's supposed to be an "urban London street art film." Seriously, what has it got to do with business? Is it part of their "Life" weekend programming or is it a new low for them? Anyone else know anything about it? :confused:

Its no different to the hours of PGA golf or The Tonight Show that they also air at the weekends when there isn’t enough business programming to fill the schedule.

What surprises me though is that they are actually putting money into making original content that isn’t business related. Up until now all their ‘non business content’ has been programming that they either get the rights to at no or little cost for various reasons.
    Forum Member
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Its no different to the hours of PGA golf or The Tonight Show that they also air at the weekends when there isn’t enough business programming to fill the schedule.

What surprises me though is that they are actually putting money into making original content that isn’t business related. Up until now all their ‘non business content’ has been programming that they either get the rights to at no or little cost for various reasons.

I remember the golf. Mum used to watch that most weekends. She doesn't watch it any more. I remember when they showed opera and travel shows at weekends to fill the airtime. As for City Limits Live, I saw the commercial again and it's a one-off Saturday night entertainment show presented by Kate Thornton and some other celeb I can't remember the name of. It was filmed in London, Madrid and Amsterdam. It sounds like the sort of programming that belongs on the likes of BBC3 or even ITV rather than CNBC. Are they trying to appeal to a wider non-business audience? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As for City Limits Live, I saw the commercial again and it's a one-off Saturday night entertainment show...

Hopefully not in the place of The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon! Its the only thing i watch on CNBC these days, and i think they goes for quite a few DS forum members.
    Forum Member
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Hopefully not in the place of The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon! Its the only thing i watch on CNBC these days, and i think they goes for quite a few DS forum members.

It's on at 5pm on Saturday so it'll be on 'til 8. I think the Jimmy Fallon show starts at 8pm, am I right? There aren't many DS'ers who watch CNBC for the business stuff. Even I don't watch the finance stuff on there as much as I used to as a lot of the presenters I knew and loved are gone :( I tend to watch Bloomberg online these days. I contemplated changing my username but DS doesn't allow users to without deleting and creating a new account and I don't want to do that as I'd lose my posting history!
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Karen Tso pregnant?
    Forum Member
    Thought I would post this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ydlsi0uAUQ

It's CNBC's 10th Anniversary special from 1999. How things have changed :D
  • Martin KongMartin Kong Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Is Karen Tso pregnant?

Hang on, just had a look at this......and......

Come to think of it you could be right.

Hey Cnbcwatcher mind if you have a look just to confirm?
    Forum Member
    Hang on, just had a look at this......and......

Come to think of it you could be right.

Hey Cnbcwatcher mind if you have a look just to confirm?

No problem, I'll watch the clip and report back :p Best to get a girl's opinion on this :D

EDIT: Just had a look and yes I'm pretty sure she is. She has a bit of a bump. I'd say she's a couple of months gone. She's doing a good job of hiding it with her papers :p