Options

Bypassing the vet consultations

LobsterSandwichLobsterSandwich Posts: 119
Forum Member
I had to take my pet to the vet around June this year. It was diagnosed that there is a problem with its teeth. In all I had to visit the vet twice, once for the consultation and another for the actually operation the next day.

Unfortunately my pet is having the same teeth problems again. I dont want another consultation as the Vet knows what the problem is anyway. So do you think they would let me book my pet in for surgery minus the consultation as its pointless. This way it will also save me a bit of money also.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it very much. I don't think it would even be ethical for them to book a pet in for surgery without a current diagnosis. Why not just call the vet and explain your concerns? They don't usually charge full price for regular consultations regarding an on-going problem, they might be able to offer a discount.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    It's not pointless, any number of aspects to your pets health could have changed, the consultation will highlight any obvious changes (weightless/gain, dehydration etc) - now there may be no changes, but how does your vet know what? Equally you say it's the same issue, but you are not a vet, perhaps it's a similar issue or something completely different that has the same symptoms, or maybe it is exactly the same, but again how does your vet know? Would you rather they sedate the cat, get him/her on the table only to discover the issue is not what they were expecting, and be unable to treat it?

Any vet worth thier salt would never agree to any treatment (barring repeat prescriptions and even then they should be reviewed regularly) without a consultation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My pet being a rodent, they can't take a proper look without sedation as they wriggle quite a bit. They will struggle to see much (there words not mine, from two separate vets) during the consultation. Can the vet not sedate my pet, make an informed decision, then carry out the necessary work? All this can carried out without a consultation right?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My pet being a rodent, they can't take a proper look without sedation as they wriggle quite a bit. They will struggle to see much (there words not mine, from two separate vets) during the consultation. Can the vet not sedate my pet, make an informed decision, then carry out the necessary work? All this can carried out without a consultation right?

Again no. Sedation is risky for any animal, rodents are particularly at risk due to high respiratory rates and high reactions to stress. You need a consultation where the vet will discuss the best action for the ailment, if it is indeed some sedation to treat, then they have to discuss the risks with you. Why any owner would rather thier pet be put thru a dangerous procedure than pay for a consultation is beyond me (and ironically sedation will cost just as much as a consultation,probably more)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The consultation will lead on to sedation anyway. The rodent cannot be treated without it as the problem is with the molars which are right at the back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only time I didn't pay for a vets. Check is when Garfield went for a neuter(cat) he wasn't very well which I didn't know. All the vet did was charge me for tablets. He also phoned me up too see how he was the next day
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why ask a question you don't want an answer to? Speak to your vets, see what they say.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you need a consultation as thats the diagnosis, a vet shouldnt perform an operation without diagnosis as if they just go ahead and operate it leaves them open to all sorts of problems if there were complications. if they are willing to skip that then what else are they incompetant with.