First wage?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
Forum Member
How much was your first wage and what year?

I earned thirty pound a week (1986), and gave my mum a fiver digs and put a tenner a month into building society :blush:

Comments

• DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was £29 a week, on YTS in 1990, plus anything over £3 a week in bus fare. I gave my mam a tenner and kept the rest
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £1.44 an hour in 1988.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Like minimum in 2008

Before anyone starts calling me scrounger or lazy, I turned 16 in 2008.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a Saturday job at Barratts shoe shop in 1987 at £1.25 per hour.

First full time wage was £4200 per year at an insurance company. That was in 1989 and was considered a decent wage for a 16 year old!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I started on a YTS in the mid 80's for £27.30 per week. The only saving grace was day release to college.
  • SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much was your first wage and what year?

I earned thirty pound a week (1986), and gave my mum a fiver digs and put a tenner a month into building society :blush:

1990 - £80 / week
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £57 per week in the late 80s. A part-time job as a dogsbody/cleaner at an antique arts shop. I was around 13.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first salary was £2,300pa as a typist in 1981.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1979 it was £47 a week as a clerical assistant BT/GPO. We were paid by postal order which we had to cash at the local post office.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    1977. It was about £50 a week with overtime, paid in cash. On a building site in Croydon.
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    1979 it was £47 a week as a clerical assistant BT/GPO. We were paid by postal order which we had to cash at the local post office.

Late 70s £67 a week with the GPO telecoms SE London..
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    £60 a week in 2004. Sounds like pittance now even by 2004 standards but when you're 14 it seems like a wedge. :)

My first "proper" wage wasn't until 2010. I was on minimum wage, which was something like £5.94 p/h at the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1966, £3.7.4p as an apprentice with ICI. My mum gave me £1 and she kept the rest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »
    Late 70s £67 a week with the GPO telecoms SE London..

I was at London Bridge House (now a hotel).
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine was £3000 for a months work (creating a website for a local art gallery)... It might have been less then a month actually; when I was at college, I thought I had made it :D

Then, I spent it. Lol
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £2.6 shillings and a penny!! That was weekly and as an apprentice hairdresser in early 70's
  • Harry.KewellHarry.Kewell Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it was something like £4.65 in 2005 which was pretty much minimum wage then, but as I was 16 I was getting the rate of the 21+, which I was happy with.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I earned a tenner for working 9-6 on a Saturday in a record shop when I was 14. That was more than thirty years ago now and was an utter fortune. I got my Mum to put nine pounds of it in the bank for me every Monday, as I recall. My brother was aghast, as he was 11 and could only dream of such riches.
    :D
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Trainee in a florists. £27 a week.
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    I was at London Bridge House (now a hotel).
    I was based in Brixton but we covered the whole of the SE region which went as far out as Wimbledon to the West and Kensington and Chelsea to the North.

Were you one of the young ladies all the engineers would chat up then? ;-)
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    £29 per week take home, Woolworths, Monday to friday, when I left school at 16 in 1975.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Around £80 per week, in 1993. Age 16.
  • yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £25 per week in 1977 in a laboratory making slides to be viewed under a microscope
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »
    I was based in Brixton but we covered the whole of the SE region which went as far out as Wimbledon to the West and Kensington and Chelsea to the North.

Were you one of the young ladies all the engineers would chat up then? ;-)

They used to sit open mouthed watching how much grub an 8 stone stick insect could put away on a morning tea break!
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £3.75 an hour in 1999, working in a factory/warehouse assembling boxes.