Can anyone please tell me the name of this (70's) movie?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
Forum Member
Hello,

a) This is such an awesome forum..... I have been trying to find out the name of this movie for almost 40 years. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that someone on here might be able to shed some light.

b) My memories may be a bit embellished ~ I was quite young at the time , staying up way past my bedtime. This was back around the mid 70's. I think it was a British or European movie.

The most pronounced memory I have from the movie was that a man (I think he was a spy, but he was the good guy/main character) was being chased and was shot. Upon being shot he fell/jumped into water (I think it was a mote ~ I know that sounds unlikely, but this is how my memory remembers it). Then the camera follows him under water and you can tell that he is using his mind power to slow down his heart rate and blood pressure so that he can go longer without breathing and so slow down the bleeding from the gun shot wound. You can hear his heart rate slowing down in the audio. Once the bad guys conclude that he is dead, he comes back up out of the water.

Although it is possible that i am confusing these next elements with another movie, they are, in my mind, associated with the same memory:

I think there were children (brother and sister?) being held captive. I think they were locked in a castle (ergo, the mote?).

I think the word "MONEY" was somewhere either in the title of the movie or in the theme music.

I think there might have been a sexy scene in the movie because I wasn't allowed to watch it (my parents went out on a date and our babysitter was on the phone with her boyfriend all night); it was "Parental Guidance" or "X" rated.

If anyone can help me resolve this memory gap from 40 (ish) years ago, I would be so grateful. I realize this isn't much to go on..... hoping just the right person sees it!

Much appreciation,
Karen

Comments

• CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could you actually be thinking of The Fugitive Tv show. It's the only thing that springs to mind
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds like an episode of the seventies tv series The Man From Atlantis.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    It sounds like an episode of the seventies tv series The Man From Atlantis.

Oh, that was a great series! No, I remember that one well ~ Patrick Duffy...... I thought he was dreamy.

No this one was "much" earlier (in kid years); and though a lot of it went over my head, I don't remember it being a series. And I'm pretty darn sure it was British/European.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about "Danger: Diabolik" from 1968 with John Philip Law as the superspy/agent/thief?
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    How about "Danger: Diabolik" from 1968 with John Philip Law as the superspy/agent/thief?

Yes, I reckon that`s the one. A Mario Bava classic with a captivating Ennio Morricone score, an incredibly catchy theme and a class turn from Terry-Thomas! A film buff`s nirvana.
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe one of The Flint movies with James Coburn. He was a super spy who could slow his heart beat.
  • Tindie_BaisTindie_Bais Posts: 2,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe The MacKintosh Man (1973) ?
    Forum Member
    Well, I just sat through a hundred minutes of my life that I will never get back; but I can tell you now with certainty that it is definitely NOT "Danger Diabolik"

There was certainly a lot of under water scenes and a castle ~ so I can appreciate why you might make the association. But the emphasis in my missing movie is definitely on his ability to stay under water for an inordinate amount of time (unaided by any fanciful cat suits) by slowing his heart rate. You could really hear his heart beating slower and slower as he used his mental ability to control his body.

I'll check out the subsequent suggestions to see if I can find it there.

I will post back if I find it; meanwhile, if anyone else knows the movie PLEASE chime in"

Cheers!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Try asking on the mausoleum club forums.roobarbs forum as well.
    Forum Member
    Thank you kindly, James. I tried to register with Mauseleum but the forum seems to have been inactive since 2012 and I was not able to register. I did register at Roobarb's and will hopefully get a response there.

I did look up both Flint movies and The MacIntosh Man (read the blow-by-blow description on Wikipedia) and no match with either of them. Thanks for the suggestions though.

I'm sure someone out there will recognize it.

Thanks kindly!
    Kate
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My initial thoughts where 'When Eight Bells Toll' the 1971 film based on the Alistair MacLean novel starring Anthony Hopkins. It has a secret agent, sexual liaison, underwater scenes, kidnapped hostage and a castle but I don't recall any slowing of heartbeat ability.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    just a wild guess but James Bond springs to my mind
    Forum Member
    Yes, I had looked at the James Bond titles to see if anything sprang to mind ~ the scene in Danger Diabolik where he gets covered in gold made me think of it ;-) ~ but nothing jumped out at me. I guess I could Wiki the individual movie plots and see if anything matches.

I'm not familiar with 8 Bells....but the elements sound promising.

I'm surprised it's not more commonly known! For me to have even been aware of its existence at that age, there must have been something rather compelling about its promotion. But I suppose a six year old kid gets enchanted by just about anything.

Anyway, I'll check out these two leads. Thank you kindly!

:) Katie
  • chaz richchaz rich Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Warlords Of Atlantis first sprang to mind but its a 1978 film so is probably too early for what your looking for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Thank you kindly, James. I tried to register with Mauseleum but the forum seems to have been inactive since 2012 and I was not able to register. I did register at Roobarb's and will hopefully get a response there.

I did look up both Flint movies and The MacIntosh Man (read the blow-by-blow description on Wikipedia) and no match with either of them. Thanks for the suggestions though.

I'm sure someone out there will recognize it.

Thanks kindly!
    Kate
    That's the old mausoleum club page.there's a link on it to the new site.