Sw19.2014

Comments

• Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    Mark Cox's name is also missing.

I think those listed in the original post are only the leading commentators. Virginia Wade, and Greg Rusedski (along with Mark Cox & Jo Durie) are all missing. Hard to believe all of them will not be there.
  • Tony YeboahTony Yeboah Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    The press pack says- Throughout the Championship, the team of expert commentators for television in full will be: Tracy Austin, Marion Bartoli, Chris Bradnam, James Burridge, Pat Cash, Andrew Castle, Andrew Cotter, Mark Cox, Matt Chilton, Barry Davies, Lindsay Davenport, Jo Durie, Peter Fleming, Jason Goodall, Paul Hand, Tim Henman, Anne Keothavong, John Lloyd, Guy McCrea, John McEnroe, Ronald McIntosh, David Mercer, Nick Mullins, Martina Navratilova, Mark Petchey, Louise Pleming, Sam Smith, Elizabeth Smylie, Simon Reed, and Virginia Wade.

Jimmy Connors is also involved, maybe he's just in the studio.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    I`ve searched all your posts praising the lamentable Davies for (according to you both) the key phrase "in my opinion" but I can`t find it anywhere. Oh, the supreme irony - Hoist by your own petard etc, etc....

mikw defending the Beeb. How very unusual.....

Me "hoisted by my own petard"??!!

it is YOU who has made a statement and can't back it up.....
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think those listed in the original post are only the leading commentators. Virginia Wade, and Greg Rusedski (along with Mark Cox & Jo Durie) are all missing. Hard to believe all of them will not be there.

Rusedski left two years ago didn't he ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rusedski left two years ago didn't he ?

I don't know tbh. At this time of the year all the commentary teams blend into one a little. He still works for Eurosport & Sky.

I know he's pretty busy with the LTA and coaches the British player Kyle Edmund. So maybe he doesn't commentate so much these days.

Scrap him from my little list. ;-):cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know tbh. At this time of the year all the commentary teams blend into one a little. He still works for Eurosport & Sky.

I know he's pretty busy with the LTA and coaches the British player Kyle Edmund. So maybe he doesn't commentate so much these days.

Scrap him from my little list. ;-):cool:

He quit because he was dropped down the pecking order I believe
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He quit because he was dropped down the pecking order I believe

That doesn't surprise me at all. He was always a little bit 'precious' when he was playing. So that sounds true.

His dis-pleasure was quite apparent a few times during his career when he felt he was playing second fiddle to Tim Henman.

All that aside, I rather like his commentary. He always manages to stay neutral no matter who is playing. (IMO)
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rather devastated that Boris Becker won't be commentating this year. His commentary was so hilariously bad I loved it, such an eccentric character in contrast to Mr Personality - Tim Henman.
  • bobbyg1980bobbyg1980 Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know how many of the red button streams will be available on Sky? Also how many will cover live matches rather than highlights etc.............?
  • coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobbyg1980 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many of the red button streams will be available on Sky? Also how many will cover live matches rather than highlights etc.............?

well theres 12 tv courts this year... all on the bbc website...
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the good old days, we had real pros : Ann Jones, Dan Maskell and John Barrett. The one commentator I would love to do Wimbledon, although she won't, as she is contracted to another american network, is Chrissie Evert.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    louise1966 wrote: »
    In the good old days, we had real pros : Ann Jones, Dan Maskell and John Barrett. The one commentator I would love to do Wimbledon, although she won't, as she is contracted to another american network, is Chrissie Evert.

Chris Evert used to work for the BBC at Wimbledon. Seems like a long time ago now. She retired from the booth (completely) when she married Greg Norman, and then came back (when they split up) but alas exclusively with an American outfit.

She does sometimes pop up to see her old opponent Sue Barker for a chat, but these too are becoming rare occurrences lately. Sometime she is a guest on Today at Wimbledon with Inverdale.

I enjoy her commentary. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See below for update on BBC Red Button streams for Wimbledon. Sky has 5 + 1 Red Button in HD for the first time :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/posts/Making-the-most-of-summer-2014-on-Red-Button
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC2/2HD
    Sue Barker Presenting
    Victor Hanescu (ROM) v Tomas Berdych (CZE)
    David Mercer and John Lloyd
    Johanna Konta (GBR) v Shuai Peng (CHN)
    Sam Smith and Anne Keothavong
    Matosevic vs Ferdasco
    Andrew Cotter and Paul Hand

theres the first 3 matches, if we could keep this going that would be great...
  • shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stosur v Wickmayer - Chris Bradnam + Liz Smylie
    Stephens v Kirilenko - James Burridge + Louise Pleming
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shaun_d wrote: »
    Stosur v Wickmayer - Chris Bradnam + Liz Smylie
    Stephens v Kirilenko - James Burridge + Louise Pleming

I do get these two mixed up

The other two games on the BBC Website ( from Court 6 and 11 ) are commentary free
  • Gazza1982Gazza1982 Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No doubt we will be stuck with the awful Andrew Castle for Murray's game later. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Youzhny vs Ward
    Barry Davies and ???
  • Gazza1982Gazza1982 Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gazza1982 wrote: »
    No doubt we will be stuck with the awful Andrew Castle for Murray's game later. :(

Looks like i was wrong, it's Mark Petchey commentating with John McEnroe and Tim Henman. At least the match will be more bearable without Castle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sergiy Stakhovsky (UKR) v Carlos Berlocq (ARG)
    Ronald McIntosh cant stand him as a comm for tennis...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Youzhny vs Ward
    Barry Davies and ???

Jason Goodall
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Sergiy Stakhovsky (UKR) v Carlos Berlocq (ARG)
    Ronald McIntosh cant stand him as a comm for tennis...

I cant stand him as a comms for anything, wasnt particularly great on the athletics yesterday and he seems to read from the same script for every boxing bout he does.
  • Duncan JDuncan J Posts: 2,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pleased BBC have decided to go with HD coverage all afternoon on both channels rather than repeats of Flog It! for 90 minutes as they bizarrely did last year.
  • PatrickBateman1PatrickBateman1 Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC moving Andy Murray from one channel to another all of the time is very annoying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC moving Andy Murray from one channel to another all of the time is very annoying.

yea, and with Ward and Cox on i thought one of them would of been the BBC2 match... Cox isnt even on the red button streams