Best Regeneration?

Tiernan_MccarthTiernan_Mccarth Posts: 218
Forum Member
Want to know all your views on who's regeneration was better. Personally I'd have to say it was Tennant's. It was just compelling. I found myself staring at Ten's suit when Matt was in it trying to ignore that someone else was wearing it. Also the emotion and lead up to the regeneration was amazing. The ''I don't want to go'' killed me and I found myself saying the same thing.

P.S The round up of all companions story's and watching the Doctor sacrifice his own race to save humanity (although Moffat ruined that by bringing them back) and the Earth was excellent.

Comments

• TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now we've seen it, Eight, definitely. No histrionics, no extra drama, it was pretty much perfect.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    P.S The round up of all companions story's and watching the Doctor sacrifice his own race to save humanity (although Moffat ruined that by bringing them back) and the Earth was excellent.

Well, he didn't sacrifice his race in that episode, nor did Moffat change anything by giving them an alternate route out.

He prevented them returning because all the horrors of the war would erupt again, which is exactly the same thing that happened in Time of the Doctor
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New Who - 9th Doctor to 10th.
    Classic Who - Baker to Davision.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,244
    Forum Member
    10 to 11 for me. I know find some find it overblown but for me it is an absolute masterclass in how to do a regeneration.

Cue perfect murray gold music as ten struggle's into the TARDIS and sets the TARDIS in motion while still fighting, hoping he dosen't have to change. Then after the realisation that he can physically hold it off no longer, we close on his face to see the tennant style 'look that says a thousand words' that only he can do before he makes his final heart rendering, yet knowingly pointless plea that he dosen't want to go. Then when the time finally comes the gold music ramps it up a notch and even the TARDIS is so anguished it tries to rip it self apart in it's sadness.

Amazing. Haven't seen a better regeneration, and actually can't imagine it ever being done better. (though considering I hope the best isn't behind us I hope to be proved wrong and see an even better one some day)
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10th to 11th
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In terms of emotional resonance, I'd probably have to go with 11 to 12. I love the speech and I think it encapsulates everything regeneration's about imo. I know not everyone likes the blink and you'll miss it Regeneration effect but I think that was included to accentuate the shock of going from a younger to a much older man.

Truthfully though I love them all. Regeneration is such a fantastic concept much as I sometimes hate to see the Doctors go.
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    9th to 10th
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    New Who - 9th Doctor to 10th.

Same for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tennant / Smith
    It was very emotional and heartbreaking IMO

I don't like The End of the Time but the last 20 minutes were masterpiece.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, he didn't sacrifice his race in that episode, nor did Moffat change anything by giving them an alternate route out.

He prevented them returning because all the horrors of the war would erupt again, which is exactly the same thing that happened in Time of the Doctor

The entire Silence arc revolves around The Doctor preventing the return of the Time Lords and the outbreak of the Time War (again). Who would have thought that after The Eleventh Hour? :p

Baker-Davison
    Eccleston-Tennant
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aside from the 6th to 7th and 10th to 11th Doctors, they've all been good in their various ways.

The 4th to 5th remains my fave but I also like the 10th to 11th, the whole thing was made complete with the music and the effects but the 3rd to 4th is just as effective by being totally the opposite and being quiet and serene.

:)
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll put in a vote for 1st to 2nd. :)
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aside from the 6th to 7th and 10th to 11th Doctors, they've all been good in their various ways.

The 4th to 5th remains my fave but I also like the 10th to 11th, the whole thing was made complete with the music and the effects but the 3rd to 4th is just as effective by being totally the opposite and being quiet and serene.

:)
    The 4th to 5th regeneration 1st saw.
  • Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me its a tie between McCoy/McGann and Smith/Capaldi.

I really like the effect of the 7/8 transformation. The Frankenstein-esk lightning, the funny faces and the face smooshing and cracking to form the new look. And the way he used his post-regeneration super strength to bust open the door, and scouring the hospital halls with now idea of who he was. I liked it.

I also kind of like the unique circumstances of his death. Being introduced through NuWho, regeneration always had this big grand build up. But McCoy's death was extremely violent, and almost incidental. It may have not been the best swan song for McCoy, but it certainly made for an interesting regeneration.

I really liked 11/12, because it went through a lot of phases. First it was dire and desperate. Then loud and triumphant. Big and explosive. Then quiet. Sombre. Then melancholy and bitter-sweet, as 11 left us with his final words, putting on a brave optimistic face through the pain. He says goodbye, removes his bow-tie, and lets it happen.

Then for an instant Clara begs him to stay. But before he can even reassure her, SNAP. Capaldi. Surprise, mystery, suspense. Then a few jokes. The crash I didn't care for since if felt a little out of no-where and too similar to 10-11. But other than that, masterfully crafted and well paced.

I liked the jump cut to Capaldi. It was unexpected and different. All of NuWho regenerations have the same effect, while older ones all did it in their own unique way. I wouldn't mind if they tried some different stuff in the future.

Aside from that, the Night of the Doctor transformation was pretty cool too.
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mels to River stood out as a bi surprise at thetime
  • Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New Who - Eccleston to Tennant probably
  • LivingDestinyLivingDestiny Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After a lot if thought, for me it's Eight to War.

It was the only one that I wasn't expecting to see, it was a Doctor we needed to see more of, it was the transition of two of the best actors to ever play the part (IMO), it was different, it had meaning and built up the 50th special perfectly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The following list is created with various details into consideration, ranging from the regeneration itself, what caused it, how it was handled, how the Doctor handled it, and what it meant to the Doctor.

1. Eleven to Twelve
    2. Two to Three
    3. Five to Six
    4. Eight to War
    5. Six to Seven (Spiral Scratch)
    6. One to Two
    7. Three to Four
    8. Four to Five
    9. Seven to Eight
    10. Nine to Ten
    11. War to Nine
    12. Ten to Eleven

Please note that with the exception of Ten's regeneration, which is the only one I dislike, I am a fan of all of Doctor's regenerations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd go with 10 to 11th myself. I didn't want him to go either
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll put mine in order

1) Five to Six
    2) Eleven to Twelve
    3) Nine to Ten
    4) Eight to War
    5) Four to Five
    6) Two to Three
    7) War to Nine
    8) Seven to Eight
    9) Three to Four
    10) One to Two
    11) Ten to Eleven
    10) Six to Seven
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    Tom Baker to Peter Davison. A special regeneration marking the end of a special incarnation of the Doctor. If only Elisabeth Sladen had agreed to come back for it . . .
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easily Three to Four for me. It was understated - "A tear, Sarah Jane...?" - emotionally satisfying, and came out of the drama.

Four to Five would have equalled it for me if there hadn't been so many bloody kids (the ones who infested the TARDIS for too long during Five's tenure) running around.

And, personally, I loved Ten to Eleven. Playing a Doctor who didn't want to die and be reborn was very different. Ten loved his body and his persona. In fact, he was mightily pleased with them, so it made dramatic sense for him not to want to go.

With the obvious exception of Six to Seven, I thought the most recent regeneration was the poorest. But then Matt Smith's last ep was an utter mess for me from start to finish.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Five to Six, the first I saw as a full blown fan. Very emotional because it was goodbye to my Doctor, but also think it's brilliantly put together and acted. Most recent.....erm, I think I'd go for Nine to Ten.
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ten to Eleven.
    Two to Three. (The switch from Black and White to Color was startling.)
  • ArtmuzzArtmuzz Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter Davison to Colin Baker is my all time favourite followed by Tom Baker to Peter Davison and Jon Pertwee to Tom Baker.