Soaps Moral Code no longer relevant?

BrooksideBrookside Posts: 1,381
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am fed up of bad boys and bad girls always having to have an comeuppance.

Tracey Barlow is currently the only woman to seemingly get away with her murder crime despite her brief sentence.

I am loving Declan and Charity Macey's wrong doings and don't see why they should be caught at all... Carl King is a shining example of a brilliant character with stamina left in them.

Comments

• attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You forgot Janine in EE...

Grace in Hollyoaks...
  • D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like that they are starting to get away with their crimes cause in life people do do awful things and get away with it! Then you have people say 'karma' karma my ass! Bad people get away with bad things because they are ruthless and will do anything to survive which has been shown with Janine EE and so far Grace and Mercedes in HO.
  • David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the death of drama for characters not to face the consequences of their actions. It also requires a huge suspension of disbelief. Take Tracy Barlow - her murder of Charlie Stubbs is hardly mentioned but in reality people would bring it up constantly, especially seeing as she lives in the same street she did it, alongside people who knew Charlie. Also, it doesn't seem to haunt her at all, it's as if she genuinely thinks she didn't do it because the verdict was overturned (which was nonsensical anyway). All of these stop me believing in the character and everything around her.
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brookside wrote: »
    I am fed up of bad boys and bad girls always having to have an comeuppance.

Tracey Barlow is currently the only woman to seemingly get away with her murder crime despite her brief sentence.

I am loving Declan and Charity Macey's wrong doings and don't see why they should be caught at all... Carl King is a shining example of a brilliant character with stamina left in them.

Cameron killed Carl King yonks ago!
  • grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mercedes nearly always gets away with her crimes it depends on the character of I want to see them get a comuppance. I definitely want Grace in hollyoaks to get a comuppance but I don't want Mercedes to.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its never existed in the first place. Soaps have always been selective in who suffered from it.

Barry Grant murdered a baby, yes a baby! and never answered for his crime. Instead he some how managed to remain as one of Brookside's most popular characters.

Its similar for Janine Butcher. She has killed 2 men and almost killed 2 more. Apart from a few short spells in prison she has never answered for her crimes and remains one of the EastEnders most popular characters because of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member
    The worst one is Stacey. Ronnie, janine, Chrissie etc never meant to kill or killed in vague terms of self defence. There was ambiguity there (mostly). Stacey was cold blooded premeditated murder and she'll get off for it, serving about 6 months for deliberately killing someone.

That, in soap terms, is disgraceful. (At least for EE).
    Forum Member
    Its never existed in the first place. Soaps have always been selective in who suffered from it.

Barry Grant murdered a baby, yes a baby! and never answered for his crime. Instead he some how managed to remain as one of Brookside's most popular characters.

Its similar for Janine Butcher. She has killed 2 men and almost killed 2 more. Apart from a few short spells in prison she has never answered for her crimes and remains one of the EastEnders most popular characters because of it.

Disagree. At least with female characters EE always used to have women ambiguously kill so the viewer could never concretely say it was murder. Ever since Stacey cold bloodedly killed and paid no price, that ambiguity has lessoned.
  • kjg1995kjg1995 Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    A lot of it depends on the popularity of the character in question!

Case in point being Sienna in Hollyoaks, during her story last year she did some detestable things but because the actress and character is popular they have found ways to keep her out of jail and in the village
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because he was a legend, something the writers of EE could learn a thing or two from.
  • BrooksideBrookside Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    attitude99 wrote: »
    You forgot Janine in EE...

Grace in Hollyoaks...

Grace Black will eventually be killed off or sent to prison in my opinion, she is no Clare Devine!

Janine Butcher has at least been to prison for periods of time but yes I agree... I don't think she will ever pay for...

Killing Barry Evans
    Killing Michael Moon
    Killing Danielle Jones (accident I know but she was vile to Ronnie Mitchell afterwards)
    Alice Branning attempting to kill herself because of Janine's lies.
    Andybear wrote: »
    Cameron killed Carl King yonks ago!

But he was written out due to someone's ego rather then because the character had no where to go. The writers preferred Cain Dingle then to develop Carl as the best bad lad in the village.

I never understood this but why didn't viewers be in uproar like they were when Ronnie stole Tommy Moon?
    kjg1995 wrote: »
    A lot of it depends on the popularity of the character in question!

Case in point being Sienna in Hollyoaks, during her story last year she did some detestable things but because the actress and character is popular they have found ways to keep her out of jail and in the village

I believe Sienna Blake has a shelf life so I wouldn't count on her not being killed off or imprisoned just yet!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because he was a legend, something the writers of EE could learn a thing or two from.

And a rather yummy legend at that - my first soap crush :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But he was written out due to someone's ego rather then because the character had no where to go. The writers preferred Cain Dingle then to develop Carl as the best bad lad in the village.

I agree and I know I'm not the only person who is still annoyed he was killed off. I wish they'd kept his son Thomas long term too - they got rid of him just as he was starting to develop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree and I know I'm not the only person who is still annoyed he was killed off. I wish they'd kept his son Thomas long term too - they got rid of him just as he was starting to develop.

Carl and Chas Dingles final scene was stupid!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Learn a thing or two how exactly? EE has plenty of its own legends who are cemented into British popular culture.

I never understood this but why didn't viewers be in uproar like they were when Ronnie stole Tommy Moon?
    !

Possibly because he was good looking. :o
    Forum Member

Never heard of him... Can't be much of a legend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Filiman wrote: »

Why don't you pop in your TARDIS then, you might learn something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You say Brookside and he is one character that certainly pops up in my head hence his return to the last ever episode. He made Phil Mitchell look like a school bully!
    Forum Member

I reserve my tardis trips for stalking important figures and going to cultural events; not to check up on the name of a has-being fictional character in a bygone soap. Ta.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disagree. At least with female characters EE always used to have women ambiguously kill so the viewer could never concretely say it was murder. Ever since Stacey cold bloodedly killed and paid no price, that ambiguity has lessoned.

This is true and Stacey killing Archie never sat right with me. Ronnie did kill Carl in a moment of anger but he was threatening rape so it could be argued it was self defence. Ronnie was mortified by killing Carl but then snapped out of it and disposed of his body in a manner that would blow any self defence case out of the water. It was similar with Chrissie. She never intended to kill Den. It was her actions after that put what she did in doubt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just because you've never heard of him doesn't mean that he's not much of a legend.
    Forum Member
    You say Brookside and he is one character that certainly pops up in my head hence his return to the last ever episode. He made Phil Mitchell look like a school bully!

Meh. Like much of the GBP I never watched British soaps prior to EE; and in the early 80s, again like much of the GBP I was enthralled by the antics of alexis morell carrigton colby dexter rowan next to whom phil Mitchell or any petty British thug is pretty insignificant.
    Forum Member
    Just because you've never heard of him doesn't mean that he's not much of a legend.

It casts doubt though... That's the point of being legendary. The fact also that I know my fair share of British soap legends also questions applying that title to the character under discussion.

It's possible he simply slipped past my radar... It's also possible he is not that legendary.
    Forum Member
    This is true and Stacey killing Archie never sat right with me. Ronnie did kill Carl in a moment of anger but he was threatening rape so it could be argued it was self defence. Ronnie was mortified by killing Carl but then snapped out of it and disposed of his body in a manner that would blow any self defence case out of the water. It was similar with Chrissie. She never intended to kill Den. It was her actions after that put what she did in doubt.

Exactly. Even Janine's "murders" are ambiguous - the whole falling/being pushed; Michael and her "deliberately" picking up the tea-towel. Even when cindy hired the hit man they had her reneg on the action just before it happened and try and save Ian (iirc). Always there was room for debate. But with Stacey there was no doubt and yet of all EE female "killers" she's the bloody one who got of the easiest. Chrissie, Ronnie, and janine all committed manslaughter. Only Stacey commuted murder. Yet they all faced justice (there is little doubt IMO that Ronnie will eventually face some kind of justice for it); Stacey never well. She'll get 6 months (or however long her break is) that is not justice for murder.

Still annoys me. ( I agree though that Stacey being the killer wasn't right and in part for this reason. Alas she was made the killer and should be punished accordingly).

With men it's a different ethic. But even here, save for nix cotton, the writers do try and paint the act in shades of grey. Phil not knowing about the tramp; Steve Owen acting (a bit like Chrissie) in a fit of pique (in fact the more I think about Steve Owen and Chrissie watts were very similar in the way they reacted short term and long term). Then jake shooting his brother to save grant, etc.

EE usually doesn't do black and white murderers. Usually.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meh. Like much of the GBP I never watched British soaps prior to EE; and in the early 80s, again like much of the GBP I was enthralled by the antics of alexis morell carrigton colby dexter rowan next to whom phil Mitchell or any petty British thug is pretty insignificant.

Prior to EE, half the population tuned into Coronation Street. And when Barry was in his prime the show itself regularly attracted 8 million viewers.