Options

ITV's inept TDF commentators

2»

Comments

• Options
    JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member
    That World Cup decision still hurts dunt it:D

Stick to cheap cladding, "world class" hotels and naming stands after people who have nothing to do with you:D
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    < Greater Manchester, of which it will pass through 5kms of (try half a mile)!

How about a little research and a lot more accuracy >

OP try reading your sentence again. Horrible isn't it? Especially followed by the plea for accuracy by someone else. All those ofs and 5 kms being half a mile. Perhaps miles are bigger in your bit of Yorkshire, but in Huddersfield (I was born there) Leeds and Bradford where I have worked, they aren't

As for the pronunciation of Haworth, place names in Britain are notorious for such things, where local practice bears little relation to the southerners way of spelling them on a map.

OK it is not in t' Dales National Park, they should have said Bronte Country, but, and it is a big but so I emphasise it, ITV showed the event. The BBC staff are too terrified that they might (oh the horror of it) to have to move to t' north so they keep well out of the way.
  • Options
    Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    < Greater Manchester, of which it will pass through 5kms of (try half a mile)!

How about a little research and a lot more accuracy >

OP try reading your sentence again. Horrible isn't it? Especially followed by the plea for accuracy by someone else. All those ofs and 5 kms being half a mile. Perhaps miles are bigger in your bit of Yorkshire, but in Huddersfield (I was born there) Leeds and Bradford where I have worked, they aren't

As for the pronunciation of Haworth, place names in Britain are notorious for such things, where local practice bears little relation to the southerners way of spelling them on a map.

OK it is not in t' Dales National Park, they should have said Bronte Country, but, and it is a big but so I emphasise it, ITV showed the event. The BBC staff are too terrified that they might (oh the horror of it) to have to move to t' north so they keep well out of the way.

So come on then smart arse, how much of Greater Manchester did they go through?
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I would have thought any commentator would have taken the trouble to have driven the course at least once and do some background on the various locations. I believe many horse racing commentators walk the course for instance. I don't suppose London Marathon commentators actually run the course but you never know......

You realise the Tour route is over 2200 miles don't you? If my maths is right, even if they drove the route for 12-hours a day at an average speed of 40MPH, it would take them about five days to cover it all!

They do get a book from the race organisers which covers the route along with nearly all the landmarks in some detail, although I'd guess this is in French which may make it a little challenging to refer to at a glance. The mistakes about where the race is at might also be affected by trying to keep track of who they're speaking to - they're commentating for three TV networks at the same time I believe (NBC in the US and SBS in Australia as well as ITV), with them splitting off to do exclusive bits for the various networks (introductions, bringing them back up to speed after commercials etc.)