Options

Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    carol_averycarol_avery Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    I will be in PI in May next year for a week. Will be glad to meet up with others on this list. Anyone?
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will be in PI in May next year for a week. Will be glad to meet up with others on this list. Anyone?

Me, too, but I haven't made plans yet. Thinking late April though. But we'll see.
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »

Sorry, that didn't work....there is a trailer out for Nativity 3 that looks very good....funny....cute. Sorry I couldn't post a link, but it shouldn't be hard to find. Martin looks very nice...if you catch my drift.
  • Options
    BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    Is this something he did for a charity?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this something he did for a charity?

I believe he did it for money like most working stiffs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Got it. I thought it might be part of the ITV's Text Santa In which well-known actors appear in cameo roles in Christmas specials to raise money for charities. There is an associated telethon hosted by presenters from ITV shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got it. I thought it might be part of the ITV's Text Santa In which well-known actors appear in cameo roles in Christmas specials to raise money for charities. There is an associated telethon hosted by presenters from ITV shows.

No, just the third in a series of 3 kids' Christmas movies. Nativity 1....Martin Freeman
    Nativity 2....David Tennant. Nativity 3.....Martin Clunes.
  • Options
    earlgrey152earlgrey152 Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    No, just the third in a series of 3 kids' Christmas movies. Nativity 1....Martin Freeman
    Nativity 2....David Tennant. Nativity 3.....Martin Clunes.

Saw the trailer today and it looks like a light-hearted, sweet comedy. Wonder if it will be at all available in Canada?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw the trailer today and it looks like a light-hearted, sweet comedy. Wonder if it will be at all available in Canada?

Someone researched it and neither of the 2 Nativities was released in the US or Canada. I think they are missing a huge opportunity. Parents are always looking for something to do with the kids during Christmas. I would have taken my kids to anything that looked clean and funny. This looks like kids and adults would like it. Even if they have no idea who MC is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Someone researched it and neither of the 2 Nativities was released in the US or Canada. I think they are missing a huge opportunity. Parents are always looking for something to do with the kids during Christmas. I would have taken my kids to anything that looked clean and funny. This looks like kids and adults would like it. Even if they have no idea who MC is.

That's unfortunate. Would have loved to see MC on the big screen!
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Portwenn Survivor

This week's episode thrown out of the surgery:

S2E1 Old Dogs

The next round will need to be delayed for about a month while I have knee replacement surgery (about 10 days from now). I hope this will help me in my desire to finally see Port Isaac in person - maybe even next year!

In the meantime, please help me with this eliminated episode's title meaning! And be sure to check the Survey Results Page. It has lots of information, including the ranking of episodes 17-46 and which episodes will be going head to head in the final 8 when we resume voting. Just looking at the list tells me that we will all be making some tough choices as we wind down to crowning the favorite DM episode.

Complete survey results: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyResults.html

Episode title survey (suggestions for the eliminated episode):
    http://portwennonline.com/SurveyEpisodeTitles.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm sure others have noticed this before, but I just realized (upon rewatching the first episode again) that the hotel used in S1E1 for Martin's interview with the panel is the same hotel used for the wedding in S6E1 (as well as the first place they look for Mrs. Tishell and JH). I thought this was a lovely connection :)

And ShopGirl - hope all goes well with your surgery and you are back on your feet in no time!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arthur and George starts filming Monday, 29 August .

http://youtu.be/XWjgt9PzYEM

Thought some of you might enjoy this, and see how you think MC will handle the role. I think he will nail it.....lots so similarities in body habitus and movement.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Arthur and George starts filming Monday, 29 August .

http://youtu.be/XWjgt9PzYEM

Thought some of you might enjoy this, and see how you think MC will handle the role. I think he will nail it.....lots so similarities in body habitus and movement.

How cool was that! Thanks, Mofromco!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It certainly appeared that Conan Doyle was not particularly shy or humble....fascinating...
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who thinks that Series 7 will be the last? Have we heard definite word?

I think they could continue the show if they jump forward a few years in series 7.
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I, for one, don't think Series 7 will be the last. BUT, it depends on how well the writers come up with outstanding episodes and with most of the principal cast members returning to be a part of it. The fan base is so enormous, not only in England and the United States, but beyond. I believe MC and PB truly enjoy making this jewel of a series. One thing I don't want is for the doc to be "cured" and for Louisa to stop trying to change him. I like the back and forth, showing a taste of the real life of relationships and how they endure. The theme of couples counseling for S7 should prove interesting. The one problem I have is the age of James Henry. He can't stay at under a year old for the next series, question is how far forward will they move???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In series 7 and beyond, I hope the writers develop Louisa and give her one personality. She has been batted about in series 5 and 6 only to further Martin's dramatic development. I think Caroline Catz is up to the task but the writers have to cooperate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    Who thinks that Series 7 will be the last? Have we heard definite word?

I think they could continue the show if they jump forward a few years in series 7.

I absolutely, with great humility, express my opinion that S7 will be the last. The dramatic ending to S6 indicates that that issue will likely need to be addressed immediately in the beginning of S7. That will likely be the paramount background storyline in the whole series. Perhaps they could jump, but a bit awkward in the middle of a series. Interestingly, I recently read a satire article called "Is THAT Show Still On?" And DM was mentioned with others I don't recognize. It has a huge dedicated audience but that article would indicate that it has become not exactly something new.. I love it, but as physician, they have gone through some really obscure conditions and it takes some thought to avoid repeating themes. Somewhere I posted a schedule of MC's new projects and he has a lot planned. I'm leaning toward the likelihood they will back out gracefully at the end of S7. I'd love it to go on but it's BPs decision. Now don't chop me up and feed me to the birds......at least not without good pain meds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Given the cast of Arthur and George, MC has reached the dramatic big time.
    Doc Martin has successfully transitioned him from Men Behaving Badly to deep dramatic roles.
  • Options
    ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    In series 7 and beyond, I hope the writers develop Louisa and give her one personality. She has been batted about in series 5 and 6 only to further Martin's dramatic development. I think Caroline Catz is up to the task but the writers have to cooperate.

Hear, hear!!!
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the cast of Arthur and George, MC has reached the dramatic big time.
    Doc Martin has successfully transitioned him from Men Behaving Badly to deep dramatic roles.

This is one reason why I don't think there will be another DM after S7. I think it may be "time for something new." And he can't go on playing a 40-ish character for too much longer, as great as he looks now. Same for CC. More important, the main dramatic engine is the ins and outs of the Martisa relationship, and there just isn't too much more fuel imaginable for further plot developments there -- short of killing Louisa off entirely and having Martin start over. I know tons of people believe that there are lots of stories they could do that are just as compelling, but in my view anyway, I think they are kidding themselves.

Making Louisa somewhat edgier in S7 gives good fodder for a story line in S7 that includes her coming to the realization that she has to make some changes too. I wonder if that was intended originally? Somehow, I doubt it. Will Martin ever get to the point that he asks Louisa for some changes too, aside from hectoring her to quit her job, which is never going to happen. I'd like to see him actually stand up for himself in a grown-up way.

And if you were Martin, how would you want Louisa's behavior to change?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    This is one reason why I don't think there will be another DM after S7. I think it may be "time for something new." And he can't go on playing a 40-ish character for too much longer, as great as he looks now. Same for CC. More important, the main dramatic engine is the ins and outs of the Martisa relationship, and there just isn't too much more fuel imaginable for further plot developments there -- short of killing Louisa off entirely and having Martin start over. I know tons of people believe that there are lots of stories they could do that are just as compelling, but in my view anyway, I think they are kidding themselves.

Making Louisa somewhat edgier in S7 gives good fodder for a story line in S7 that includes her coming to the realization that she has to make some changes too. I wonder if that was intended originally? Somehow, I doubt it. Will Martin ever get to the point that he asks Louisa for some changes too, aside from hectoring her to quit her job, which is never going to happen. I'd like to see him actually stand up for himself in a grown-up way.

And if you were Martin, how would you want Louisa's behavior to change?

Well, New Park...I thought he was really leaning in that direction in S6E1....when he made what was about the longest DM speech ever in the woods. I remember almost jumping for joy when I heard it. I wish I had the exact quote but that would take some searching. Something like..."First you say something that you want, then you say that you don't want it when you really do.....that's not fair." Then maybe he falls down a hill but It went right over Louisa's head. If he knows what she wants he will try to accommodate , but he doesn't get the "guess what I really want game", and it is the source of many problems.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, New Park...I thought he was really leaning in that direction in S6E1....when he made what was about the longest DM speech ever in the woods. I remember almost jumping for joy when I heard it. I wish I had the exact quote but that would take some searching. Something like..."First you say something that you want, then you say that you don't want it when you really do.....that's not fair." Then maybe he falls down a hill but It went right over Louisa's head. If he knows what she wants he will try to accommodate , but he doesn't get the "guess what I really want game", and it is the source of many problems.

Yes, that was a good start. Unfortunately, not too much follow-through. But that's what I'd like to see more of in S7 -- only perhaps in a slightly less plaintive tone.
This discussion has been closed.