Steptoe and Son on Drama

VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Drama are currently showing Series 3 of S&S every night at 6pm

This was when the show was still being made in black and white. It makes a change watching these episodes rather than the colour ones that turn up all the time on GOLD

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Drama are currently showing Series 3 of S&S every night at 6pm

This was when the show was still being made in black and white. It makes a change watching these episodes rather than the colour ones that turn up all the time on GOLD

Shame it replaced Terry and June.

Feels a bit odd watching a B&W series at 6pm. Takes me back to when BBC2 used to show B&W comedy at that time.
  • wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,771
    Forum Member
    Really chuffed to see these eps on Drama. I'm hoping that they show my favourite episode, 'Crossed Swords'.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Feels a bit odd watching a B&W series at 6pm. Takes me back to when BBC2 used to show B&W comedy at that time.

BBC2 showed some episodes of Hancock's Half Hour in that slot some time in the mid to late 90s
  • GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member

Feels a bit odd watching a B&W series at 6pm. Takes me back to when BBC2 used to show B&W comedy at the time

Nice to see a station not worried about showing showing black and white shows

BBC 4 the only others who do

I would love to see for example The Rag Trade Hancock and George and the Dragon for starters
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never seen any in Black and White, will be on on an afternoon as well from tomorrow, after The Bill @ 1pm.

Should have shown the last episode of Terry and June, could have started this day after.
  • QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's great to see the earlier black and white episodes being aired for a change, GOLD only seem to air series 7 and 8.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't get Drama on Freesat or Freeview in my area, but I got the boxset anyway.

It's got a 40 minute slot, god knows how many ad breaks that will make.

Unlike modern US sit-coms with 2 minute scenes and a 22 minute running time, many episodes of S&S are 28 minute 2 handers, ad breaks will mess up the dramatic tension.
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »
    Never seen any in Black and White, will be on on an afternoon as well from tomorrow, after The Bill @ 1pm.

Should have shown the last episode of Terry and June, could have started this day after.

I thought they had ??
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    I thought they had ??

My apologies, they did, i was thinking of Ever Decreasing Circles, they are showing all that on Drama, apart from the very last Episode, called 'Moving On'.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I thought they showed every episode of Terry & June. Was it replaced before they aired every ep?
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought they showed every episode of Terry & June. Was it replaced before they aired every ep?

They most probably did show all the episodes, but I only caught the last few and was looking forward to seeing more if they were on a repeat cycle.

My evening was going to be 'Terry and June', then have a bath while 'Bread' was on, then watch 'Ever Decreasing Circles'.

But now I'll have to watch the afternoon version of 'Ever Decreasing Circles' instead.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They most probably did show all the episodes, but I only caught the last few and was looking forward to seeing more if they were on a repeat cycle.

My evening was going to be 'Terry and June', then have a bath while 'Bread' was on, then watch 'Ever Decreasing Circles'.

But now I'll have to watch the afternoon version of 'Ever Decreasing Circles' instead.

Ah, I see. Yes they did show every episode. Hopefully they will repeat them from the start (as they usually do)

Good line up you have there.

I watch more hours on the Drama channel than I do on the so called main channels. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quixotic wrote: »
    It's great to see the earlier black and white episodes being aired for a change, GOLD only seem to air series 7 and 8.

I have seen some of the b/w episodes before but I'd never seen the one where Harold bought a load of coffins
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    It's got a 40 minute slot, god knows how many ad breaks that will make.
    Noooooh :o Sacrilege. That would completely ruin them. I will avoid.
  • Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although Albert was not quite Alf Garnet there are elements of S&S which will be considered very unPC, maybe even racist today.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    Although Albert was not quite Alf Garnet there are elements of S&S which will be considered very unPC, maybe even racist today.

Go onto Youtube and find the episode called "T.B. Or Not T.B."
    There is a VERY unPC sequence in that one !
    A word beginning with W !
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    Oh absolutely, but that was just a reflection of the language/ class/ culture/ politics etc of the times, rather than - as with Alf Garnett - a deliberate attempt to portray the character as horribly prejudiced. Most, if not all, 70's and 80's sitcoms will have lines in them that would be considered un-PC by today's standards. I recall Albert singing "Enoch's... dreaming of a white Christmas" and Harold referring to 'nig nogs'. Both always cut by Gold.
  • Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is one show where Albert complains that you can't get any fish and chips round here but with all the muslims you can get a curry.

What would he make of London today?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Noooooh :o Sacrilege. That would completely ruin them. I will avoid.

Only one ad break halfway through I think
    Forum Member
    Only one ad break halfway through I think

Yes and to be honest they are slotted in quite sensitively and don't interfere with the thread of the story
    Thoroughly enjoying them as I've not seen some of these episodes for years
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    Yes and to be honest they are slotted in quite sensitively and don't interfere with the thread of the story
    Thoroughly enjoying them as I've not seen some of these episodes for years

A lot of British shows that were made for the BBC in the 60s were made with a fade-out about halfway through the episode so ad breaks could be inserted by commercial networks from abroad who bought the rights to show the programme in question
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of British shows that were made for the BBC in the 60s were made with a fade-out about halfway through the episode so ad breaks could be inserted by commercial networks from abroad who bought the rights to show the programme in question

I know the last Hancock series for the Beeb had that fade-out and was 24 minutes rather than 29.
  • NickLangleyNickLangley Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there is one B&W show that should be back on TV it has to be Bilko.
  • pontypaulpontypaul Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Was "watching" today, while doing some paperwork, whilst Albert calling French "fr*gs was allowed another word was censored a few times. Can anyone enlighten me what it was? (Not in full, obviously, Just a hint!)
  • tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    If there is one B&W show that should be back on TV it has to be Bilko.

Amen, An absolute classic, seminal even!