Fasting

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,691
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Some of you may be aware that it's Ramadan - a month of fasting for Muslims. Basically they can't eat or drink anything whilst the sun is out (this year it's from 3am til 9.30pm). Muslims would be waking up around 2am to eat a meal before the fast starts - a meal that needs to last the whole day.

I'm fasting (as I'm a Muslim) but I can't help but feel like I'm eating the wrong things. If I'm to go without food for so long then I really need to eat more nutritious foods so that my energy levels are high during the day. Currently all I'm having is Weetabix and some yogurt before my fast and Indian food after (native cuisine).

I don't get hungry during the day. I do get thirsty (mainly due to the current heat we're experiencing). However my main problem is laziness. I don't know what it is but I just cannot seem to function properly. I'm like a walking zombie. What can I eat to ensure that during the day I can feel slightly more energized and active instead of being lazy and letargic? Porridge is out of the question as I'm just sick of the stuff from the time I had my wisdom teeth out.

Comments

• PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont you have anyone close to you to ask ? What do your parents, siblings etc do to stop feeling hungry ?

I would really struggle. I only eat once a day, but if I had that meal in the morning I would be starving all day. I eat in the evening.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Dont you have anyone close to you to ask ? What do your parents, siblings etc do to stop feeling hungry ?

I would really struggle. I only eat once a day, but if I had that meal in the morning I would be starving all day. I eat in the evening.

They all eat fatty foods like parathas and fried stuff. It's not good nutritionally and they're hungrier than I am tbh.

It's honestly not as hard as it sounds. The only problem is the lazy feeling.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't help on the food front as such, but I recently started taking spirulina (tablet or powder form from Holland and Barrett). I'm not completely bounding around like a teenager again but I've certainly had a very noticeable energy boost from them. Might be worth a try in combination with whatever food you're recommended.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't know you couldn't drink anything during Ramadan. I could cope with no food, but no water in this weather? I'd really struggle myself!
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    I didn't know you couldn't drink anything during Ramadan. I could cope with no food, but no water in this weather? I'd really struggle myself!

Ditto!
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some kids fast. Don't know how they do it. I couldn't do it. I can do without food but water no way.