Referencing on Office 2011 for Mac

I have recently purchased Office 2011 for Mac, and it has the Referencing tool, but it doesn't have Harvard referencing available as an option.

It only has APA, Chicago, MLA and Turabian. Does anyone know how I can get the Harvard referencing style on 2011?

Thanks.

Comments

• The RatThe Rat Posts: 6,048
    Forum Member
    Forgive my ignorance, I don't have Office 2011, but would you happen to know does it use the same custom XSL for referencing that Word 2010 does?

Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Hi, yes I believe it does. It has those types of files in the 'Styles' folder. I have tried downloading the style from a version for 2008, and this didn't work. Just came up as error messages.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Do you need the referencing for the short term or for long term use? I have used EndNote in the past and it offers a free trial. It's a program that runs alongside word and offers many referencing styles. At the very least it may offer an alternative until you can get it to all work within the one program.
    Forum Member
    Grab the Bibword zip (http://bibword.codeplex.com/) and extract the XSL files. There are several Harvard formats in there (don't use Harvard so can't comment on the suitability of the styles, try them all) which you will need to copy across to the Bibliography styles folder. Make sure Word is closed, then re-open. Are the new styles accessible from the drop-down?

Dave
    Forum Member
    Alkar wrote: »
    Do you need the referencing for the short term or for long term use? I have used EndNote in the past and it offers a free trial. It's a program that runs alongside word and offers many referencing styles. At the very least it may offer an alternative until you can get it to all work within the one program.

The other option is Endnote Web (http://myendnoteweb.com/) which is free forever. Has a Cite as you write plug-in for Word. Not used it but I hear it is very good.

Dave
  • VallhundVallhund Posts: 5,374
    Forum Member
    There is some very good referencing software available for OS X.

Papers

Bookends
    Endnote

and a harvard referencing widget:

The Zotero reference plug-in for FireFox can be useful too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    The Rat wrote: »
    Grab the Bibword zip (http://bibword.codeplex.com/) and extract the XSL files. There are several Harvard formats in there (don't use Harvard so can't comment on the suitability of the styles, try them all) which you will need to copy across to the Bibliography styles folder. Make sure Word is closed, then re-open. Are the new styles accessible from the drop-down?

Dave

Hi, I tried this, but it says on the site it is for Word 2008 on Macs. I have 2011, and it let me install it, but when I went to use the Harvard referencing it came up with errors.
    Forum Member
    Jmes wrote: »
    Hi, I tried this, but it says on the site it is for Word 2008 on Macs. I have 2011, and it let me install it, but when I went to use the Harvard referencing it came up with errors.

I can only comment for Word on Windows, but all you need to do is close Word, download the bibword zip file (on the right), extract it, and copy across the relevant XSL files to the Bibliography Styles folder (sorry I don't know where that is for Word 2011 on the Mac). When you next open Word the style will available from the drop-down.

Dave
    Forum Member
    Seems it might not be so straighforward with Word for the Mac, see: http://samcogan.com/blog/?p=51

Some of that might be of use.

Dave
  • VallhundVallhund Posts: 5,374
    Forum Member
    Are you using Word for academic work? It's good for your final submission, but I find Scrivener 2 better for researching and writing.