Options

A Most Wanted Man with Philip Seymour Hoffman

InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I couldn't find a thread about this film which, given all the praise for Hoffman here, is surprising.

It's an excellent downbeat spy thriller, perhaps the right term would be "spy procedural" since it follows Gunther Bachmann (Hoffman) and his team's attempt to prove that an apparently respectable businessman is funding Islamic terrorism from his Hamburg base. A Chechen asylum-seeker gets caught up in the investigation and Bachmann is forced to face the reality of what the war on terror really means.

Hoffman is outstanding. His face often dominates the screen, pained, frustrated, uncomprehending. It would be tempting to think that this is what Hoffman himself was going through but what's great about his performance is that we believe it's Bachmann, not Hoffman, who's fighting for survival.

It's a slow-burning, almost actionless film but totally gripping and by the end, highly affecting. Recommended.

Comments

• Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I watched this. Luckily I went with a friend who told me the bits that I didn't understand (usually with films like this I don't always fully understand what's going on!) but I enjoyed it and the acting was brilliant by all involved - the accents were very good as well. Rachel McAdams really impressed me as well the actor who played the guy who they were trying to hide etc.
  • Options
    Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this at the weekend. I was the only person in the cinema!

I did really enjoy it. It's a real slow burner, think Tinker Tailor...Hoffman is great, although by the end of the film you will think to yourself "That's the most amount of cigarettes smoked by any man on screen...EVER". You can see why he's lauded as one of the greats. Even knowing everything that happened to the man, he still manages to convince you he is the part he's playing. Really great stuff. Rachel McAdams was pretty stellar too.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seen it too. A genuinely good spy movie. Slowburner for sure but PSH makes everything worth it. His final leading role in a movie before he passed away. He's great in this, completely believable and a fine film to be remembered for. Felt for him at the end when he got f*cked over. Didn't see it coming myself and i was as surprised as he was.

I've never really rated Rachel McAdams before, i've never liked her that much until i saw her in this. She's really quite good and whilst i was watching i was thinking to myself god i really quite fancy her! Lol. Willem Dafoe was also very good. Well worth a watch.
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    Loved this film. Hoffmann was brilliant and perfectly cast in his final role.
  • Options
    abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you so much for alerting me to this, and the great opening reviews (and following comments). I love Hoffman's work and am looking forward to seeing this. He clearly went out on a high as far as his films are concerned
  • Options
    RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Thought this was good rather than great, it had decent performances from it's cast plus an intriguing story however the ending needed to be stronger & far less abrupt.

Overall it did enough to get a 7/10 from me...