Options

Should I take an aspirin a day?

RogRog Posts: 1,780
Forum Member
✭✭✭
There was an article in the paper yesterday talking about how beneficial it is to take an aspirin a day. Big reduction in cancer and heart disease etc. Is anyone on this regime or planning to go on it? Opinions please?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    75g or 1/4 of an aspirin is the recommended dose I believe, but it can cause stomach bleeding.
  • Options
    birdsongbirdsong Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in my late forties with a bad family history of heart disease and diabetes on my father's side.

However, I'm not over weight, moderately fit, and my blood pressure, cholesterol and sugar levels are all normal so I take the view that I don't need to take something artificial at the moment that may do me more harm than good despite assurances to the contrary.

I personally think people should only take aspirin if prescribed by their GP.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Problem is next week they'll be telling you it's highly dangerous.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People shouldn't automatically take it without seeking medical advice first. It may have it's benefits but like another poster said it can cause stomach bleeding and other issues.
  • Options
    2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Current thinking is that taking aspirin daily can do more harm than good (as it can cause internal bleeding), unless you suffer from certain cardiovascular disease.

If you do decide to take it, make it the "dispersible" 75 mg one, as sheikyerbootie suggests. That's a special low-dosage version designed for those who need to take aspirin daily to lower the risk of stroke and the like.

In any case, you should seek medical advice first!
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    This story is covered here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8154483/Daily-aspirin-dose-for-everyone-over-45.html and it does appear that small doses of aspirin (75mg) can have a useful preventative effect. Such micro-aspirins are available from many high street chemists and online.

That said, people who have had problems with aspirin or who have stomach ulcers ought to consult their GP first before taking the small-dose aspirins.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say that you're far better off doing some research on which fruits/vegetables help to stop cancer from starting ..... or something like that.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I'd say that you're far better off doing some research on which fruits/vegetables help to stop cancer from starting ..... or something like that.

The current recommendation is to have five portions of vegetables and fruits a day. In particular, these foods here http://longevity.about.com/od/lifelongnutrition/a/antioxidants.htm should be good.
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had 2 lots of Angioplasty (tiny wire mesh tubes called stents fitted to help blood flow) following 2 heart attacks.
    I have to use 75mg of aspirin every day for the rest of my life, this is to thin the blood to help prevent clotting.
    I use specially coated ones to help my stomach tolerate the problems that aspirin causes me, I also have to take another pill to offset the problems with the aspirin (Ranitidine).
    I would suggest...as others have done....that you do not take the aspirin without first speaking to your doctor, as per the reasons above.
    I fully support the five a day message.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    75g or 1/4 of an aspirin is the recommended dose I believe, but it can cause stomach bleeding.

75g of aspirin a day would cause your stomach to dissolve mate!! :D
    Current thinking is that taking aspirin daily can do more harm than good (as it can cause internal bleeding), unless you suffer from certain cardiovascular disease.

If you do decide to take it, make it the "dispersible" 75 mg one, as sheikyerbootie suggests. That's a special low-dosage version designed for those who need to take aspirin daily to lower the risk of stroke and the like.

In any case, you should seek medical advice first!

75mg of aspirin is 75mg of aspirin though :confused:

In terms of side effects aspirin is one one of the safest drugs ever.
  • Options
    meechameecha Posts: 2,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No it isn't - it has many serious side affects to people with various other health conditions! It should also never be given to children under 16!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    meecha wrote: »
    No it isn't - it has many serious side affects to people with various other health conditions! It should also never be given to children under 16!

wrong I'm afraid meecha- though only main effects are gastric bleeding, Reyes syndrome and hives in some people. Compare that to other drugs.

(that's correct, the cesation of which and subsequent replacement with paracetamol is linked with the rise in asthma in kids since the mid 80's)
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noo
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    taking an aspirin a day can lead to blood thinning, which for those without a basic understanding means your blood will not clot as fast if you suffer a severe flesh wound, in the worst case, it will not clot at all
  • Options
    Forum Member
    noo

based on.....
  • Options
    FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Darthchaffinch is right. 75g of the stuff and you're finished.

What should have been stated is 75mg - I know cos I have just come off it after being struck down with DVT 5 years ago after the course of Warfarin ended then (under medical supervision)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    such as....

(that's correct, the cesation of which and subsequent replacement with paracetamol is linked with the rise in asthma in kids since the mid 80's)

As has already been mentioned - stomach ulcers and bleeding, potential cardiac problems, breathing problems for asthmatics, and can cause Rye's syndrome in children, which can be fatal! Also can react with other medications!
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I heard those with a high risk of heart disease should carry aspirin on them as they can reduce the severity of a heart attack.
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    your statement
    being wrong. You're right it is popular, but there is a reason there's a list of guidelines before taking.

Have a read of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspirin
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think they probably mean mg :D
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I used wish they'd make their blessed mind's up. I was advised to take 75mg per day, until they decided it was helpful to people who had already had a stroke or heart attack, so the Dr told me to stop taking it. Now they seem to be saying take it! :eek:

Like any medication, it should only be taken on medical advice, not because of an article in a paper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I think they probably mean mg :D

I know! :D
    your statement

being wrong. You're right it is popular, but there is a reason there's a list of guidelines before taking.

Have a read of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspirin

Pick any drug and go look at the side effects, ompare with aspirin, cthen come back and apologise. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    I heard those with a high risk of heart disease should carry aspirin on them as they can reduce the severity of a heart attack.

It has been advised that a small daily dose of 75mg is taken by people at risk of heart attack, on medical advice. A larger dose is given to someone who is suspected of having had a heart attack!
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    meecha wrote: »
    It has been advised that a small daily dose of 75mg is taken by people at risk of heart attack, on medical advice. A larger dose is given to someone who is suspected of having had a heart attack!

Yes, I think it thins the blood, so it makes sense it'd help in those cases.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wrong I'm afraid meecha- though only main effects are gastric bleeding, Reyes syndrome and hives in some people. Compare that to other drugs.

Paracetamol is safer than Aspirin - its only real risk is overdose!