TV Sports Rights

Comments

• bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eljmayes wrote: »
    Considering they have held them for twenty years I doubt any other broadcaster is that interested.

As long as Eurosport show some as well I will be happy enough.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 4 has secured the rights to screen the Paralympic Games in 2014 and 2016.

The broadcaster has confirmed that it will show over 45 hours from the Winter Games in Sochi, Russia, and 500 hours from the summer version in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

So looks like 2016 will see the return of the live streams...good news.
  • dean michaeldean michael Posts: 29,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky Sports has signed a new five-year broadcast deal with the Professional Darts Corporation.

The agreement offers Sky Sports viewers over 50 days of live and exclusive darts throughout the year including the Ladbrokes World Darts Championship each Christmas until 2018.

As part of the deal, Sky Sports viewers will also enjoy live coverage of the McCoy's Premier League, PartyPoker.com World Grand Prix, William Hill Grand Slam of Darts, Betfair World Cup of Darts and the Betfair World Matchplay, which celebrates its 20th staging this summer.
  • loyalsinceloyalsince Posts: 6,006
    Forum Member
    I wonder if the UK Open is part of the darts deal and has been missed off by accident?
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    loyalsince wrote: »
    I wonder if the UK Open is part of the darts deal and has been missed off by accident?

Being discussed on darts forums this morning, that.

The article says "over 50 days" and the events named in it equal 58 days of coverage.

So surely if the UK Open was meant to be included in the list of events, it would have said "over 60 days"?

All very odd.
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Says up to Christmas 2018 so presumably that means it ends with the 2019 World Champs which end on 1 or 2 January 2019.

Says 5 year contract so presumably starts at beginning of next season - including this season Sky has 6 years in total.

Maybe Hearn wanted to keep UK Open out of it so he has option of doing a deal with another broadacster? Presumably Sky has this year's UK Open under current deal?

Anyway good deal for Sky to secure one of the only significant rights contracts which they didn't already have long term. I wouldn't have regarded PDC Darts as a top tier must retain contract but at the same time it certainly isn't Mickey Mouse either so they'll be pleased to have secured it.

I guess it's the sort of thing which would have been less likely to go to BT because TV profile is key.
  • coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Says up to Christmas 2018 so presumably that means it ends with the 2019 World Champs which end on 1 or 2 January 2019.

Says 5 year contract so presumably starts at beginning of next season - including this season Sky has 6 years in total.

Maybe Hearn wanted to keep UK Open out of it so he has option of doing a deal with another broadacster? Presumably Sky has this year's UK Open under current deal?

Anyway good deal for Sky to secure one of the only significant rights contracts which they didn't already have long term. I wouldn't have regarded PDC Darts as a top tier must retain contract but at the same time it certainly isn't Mickey Mouse either so they'll be pleased to have secured it.

I guess it's the sort of thing which would have been less likely to go to BT because TV profile is key.

its great that its being kept on sky
    the thing about the UK Open. they use 8 boards is it possible for Sky to use Red Button so we can watch all of them.
    cause on every board there are good players all the time...
  • Harfynn TeuportHarfynn Teuport Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    The UK Open fits the profile of events that have been offered to other channels by the PDC. Namely, a Thursday/Friday-Sunday affair, single weekend event. ITV lost the Grand Slam (a week long event) to Sky and maybe Sky Sports and the PDC think their coverage is best suited to the longer (some might say more prestigious) events? Certainly the PDC can be confident that every dart will be covered, even in those events, by Sky Sports whereas ITV or others may have other schedule pressures.
  • redandwhiterobredandwhiterob Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very unlikely out Hearn has control over will be going to BT I would have thought
    Forum Member
    Has been confirmed by people in the know elsewhere that the UK Open 2013 will be the last one Sky will cover.

In addition, from elsewhere:
    on the speedway forum [I go on] the guy who supposedly works for Sky who said a couple of weeks ago that Sky were dropping a darts event has just said that Sky only wanted to take the World Championship, the World Matchplay and the Premier League....that is all..
    He said that the PDC/Matchroom basically forced their hand into taking the other events because apparently BT were willing to take ALL the events that Sky covered so Sky signed the other events as well to avoid losing the lot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has been confirmed by people in the know elsewhere that the UK Open 2013 will be the last one Sky will cover.

why would they want to drop them all...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Assuming that's correct it's extremely interesting.

I wonder why Sky would want to drop the other events? To save production / rights costs?

I wouldn't have thought the savings would be great in the overall scheme of things and surely Sky needs this type of content to keep up a decent volume of "proper" live content across 4 channels.
    Forum Member
    why would they want to drop them all...

I have noticed that aside from the Prem Lge, World Matchplay and the World Championship the viewing figures are not that great.

Sky only really want the top class darts. Apart from the World Champs, the Matchplay is the top 32 and the Prem Lge is the Top 10 players.

The Grand Prix is the top 32 and the Grand Slam is 32 players (mix of top players from PDC and BDO)

Although people who enjoy the sport like me find watching the so-called 'FA Cup of darts,' enjoyable, many complain about the lower standard and Sky only really want the top names.

This leaves the PDC about five or so events that could be televised in addition and would form a decent package.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wonder why Sky would want to drop the other events? To save production / rights costs?

I wouldn't have thought the savings would be great in the overall scheme of things and surely Sky needs this type of content to keep up a decent volume of "proper" live content across 4 channels.

but they spend so much on football...
    darts is the second most watched sport in the uk... and they didnt want to spend the money on it....
    Forum Member
    its great that its being kept on sky
    the thing about the UK Open. they use 8 boards is it possible for Sky to use Red Button so we can watch all of them.
    cause on every board there are good players all the time...

Its frustarting, but Sky have actually gone backwards in their coverage by only showing one board (I preusme to keep advertising revenue)

UK Open 2013 on Sky, but will be for the last time (strong rumour, no evidence)

Mlt11- any idea of how much Sky will pay for these rights?

I do find this a bit bizzare from Sky. Whilst over kill of a particualr sport can detract from the main events (i.e. Sky don't want to show every darts event), things like the NRL (Rugby), and speedway are things that must be very low cost but fill a lot of space and there are strong (ish) niche markets to cater for. I am also surprised at the cutting of boxing coverage by Sky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have noticed that aside from the Prem Lge, World Matchplay and the World Championship the viewing figures are not that great.

Sky only really want the top class darts. Apart from the World Champs, the Matchplay is the top 32 and the Prem Lge is the Top 10 players.

The Grand Prix is the top 32 and the Grand Slam is 32 players (mix of top players from PDC and BDO)

Although people who enjoy the sport like me find watching the so-called 'FA Cup of darts,' enjoyable, many complain about the lower standard and Sky only really want the top names.

This leaves the PDC about five or so events that could be televised in addition and would form a decent package.

loyalsince - do you have any feel for what Sky is paying the PDC - now and / or under new deal.

BBC is paying £3m (or a bit more now) for snooker - which is a kind of benchmark. Total prize money of PDC events is only £5m. I've never seen anything reported but maybe Sky is paying somewhere in the £3m to £5m range?

I guess BT could have pushed that up a bit but really it's Mickey Mouse in comparison with a whole raft of other Sky non-football contracts.

EDIT: LOL - Posts crossed!!!
    Forum Member
    loyalsince - do you have any feel for what Sky is paying the PDC - now and / or under new deal.

BBC is paying £3m (or a bit more now) for snooker - which is a kind of benchmark. Total prize money of PDC events is only £5m. I've never seen anything reported but maybe Sky is paying somewhere in the £3m to £5m range?

I guess BT could have pushed that up a bit but really it's Mickey Mouse in comparison with a whole raft of other Sky non-football contracts.

EDIT: LOL - Posts crossed!!!

Sorry I edited my last post (and have done again)

No idea- I would guess around £5m a year, which would be excellent value for Sky. Pure guess, based on prize money totals though and the fact that TV will be the main revenue source

Edit: Before I get sacked I have to say personally I think it is a stupid decision to drop the UK Open as it is a unique event and the final stages as its a largley open draw are 'lesser,' names. For me the World Cup of Darts is a much poorer event and I think the Prem Lge should be reduced to 11 weeks (say 9 normal nights and 2 play off nights (QF one week, SF and final the next if you have ten players). The PL is a bit boring with the same players every week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do find this a bit bizzare from Sky. Whilst over kill of a particualr sport can detract from the main events (i.e. Sky don't want to show every darts event), things like the NRL (Rugby), and speedway are things that must be very low cost but fill a lot of space and there are strong (ish) niche markets to cater for. I am also surprised at the cutting of boxing coverage by Sky.
    No idea- I would guess around £5m a year, which would be excellent value for Sky. Pure guess, based on prize money totals though and the fact that TV will be the main revenue source

Yes, I'm sure £5m must be approx region - I think we can be confident it couldn't be above say £10m.

Out of a total Sky Sports budget of approx £1,300m it's a tiny component (well, well under 1%) and as you say appears good value.

I'm afraid we have to conclude Sky doesn't value it as highly as we might think. Sky does masses of research on subscriber base - they must think it doesn't drive subs to any meaningful degree.

I wonder if big crossover with football - ie almost all darts viewers subscribe for football anyway whereas sports like cricket, golf, F1, tennis etc bring in different niches to a much greater degree.

Also - just a guess here - does audience skew very young - ie not watched by head of household who takes subscription decision?

PDC prize money levels next season may provide clue as to whether rights value has gone up much with this deal.
    Forum Member
    My hunch (and with no source or evidence) is that the PDC were ready to do a deal with ESPN for all the lesser events prior to the BT announcement. Based on what others have said, I wouldn't have been surprised if ESPN had been given the lot (bar world champs, matchplay and prem lge)
  • LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It has been reported for a while now that Sky believe that live darts has reached saturation point and have opposed Hearns grand plans for expansion for at least 5 years now.

This was certainly the case for the Grand Slam, i'm not sure Sky ever really wanted it, they had first refusal on it originally and didn't take it up.

This is the point i'm most interested in with this deal, I wonder whether Hearn now has the option to create further events for other channels (Clearly im thinking BT) without Sky having the option to block it. That would be a pretty major hand. Hearn has spoken of "similarities" with golf for a while now, and i'm sure he's looking to put on more events.

Edit- Im aware some events are on ITV but the PDC have to get Sky to agree for this first.
    Forum Member
    LOSG wrote: »
    It has been reported for a while now that Sky believe that live darts has reached saturation point and have opposed Hearns grand plans for expansion for at least 5 years now.

This was certainly the case for the Grand Slam, i'm not sure Sky ever really wanted it, they had first refusal on it originally and didn't take it up.

This is the point i'm most interested in with this deal, I wonder whether Hearn now has the option to create further events for other channels (Clearly im thinking BT) without Sky having the option to block it. That would be a pretty major hand. Hearn has spoken of "similarities" with golf for a while now, and i'm sure he's looking to put on more events.

I have noticed Hearn say that a lot too. A world tour is his aim.

My own personal view is that below would be about right and enough (very similar to now)

Dec-Jan- World Champ (over Xmas)
    Mid-Feb to May- Prem Lge (11 weeks on Thurs nights)
    June- UK Open- 4 days
    July- Matchplay
    Oct- World Grand Prix
    Nov (early to mid)- Grand Slam (over international break)

EDIT: I know you don't have to watch all the events, but showing too many tv events does detract from the floor events. If my hunch was correct, I think ESPN would pick up about 5 events for around £1m
    Forum Member
    Important to poinbt out that there's no way Sky would be dallying over this if they hadn't grossly overpaid for Premier League football. There must be a serious danger that Pay TV providers of sport will eat each other over the PL and every other sport will suffer for it.
  • LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Important to poinbt out that there's no way Sky would be dallying over this if they hadn't grossly overpaid for Premier League football. There must be a serious danger that Pay TV providers of sport will eat each other over the PL and every other sport will suffer for it.

Why? Previously there was budget of (and i'm just making up numbers here, MLT11 is the man for this.) say 500 Million a year for all sports provided in the main by Sky. Now BT have come along and the potential pool has almost doubled.

Who is going to lose out? Clearly some will benefit more the others, but that's too be expected. For Sports Governing Bodies this is a win win situation. (Not so for FTA companies.)
    Forum Member
    LOSG wrote: »
    Why? Previously there was budget of (and i'm just making up numbers here, MLT11 the man for this.) say 500 Million a year for all sports provided in the main by Sky. Now BT have come along and the potential pool has almost doubled.

Who is going to lose out? Clearly some will benefit more the others, but that's too be expected.
    Yes, but in the main I don't think any of them give a stuff about anything but the PL. This has been shown by Setanta and ESPN throwing in the towel when they lost their PL rights. They're happy to pad out their sports channels with coverage of other sport, but they are basically providers of PL coverage and I suspect that is how they see themselves too. If it came down to it, Sky would spend their entire budget on PL football, because PL football IS their business model. And so would the rest of them... it really is that important.
    Forum Member
    Sorry I edited my last post (and have done again)

Edit: Before I get sacked I have to say personally I think it is a stupid decision to drop the UK Open as it is a unique event and the final stages as its a largley open draw are 'lesser,' names. For me the World Cup of Darts is a much poorer event and I think the Prem Lge should be reduced to 11 weeks (say 9 normal nights and 2 play off nights (QF one week, SF and final the next if you have ten players). The PL is a bit boring with the same players every week.

The PL will never, ever be reduced in length whilst it funds the non-televised events.