Options

"Avatar"- a huge hit that's vanished from Pop Culture?

Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
Forum Member
Five years ago, Avatar was one of the biggest smashes in film history. It made
2.7 billion dollars (whistles) and won several Academy Awards.

Yet despite this, the film seems to have vanished from the cultural memory.

Certainly, people I know don't seem to fondly remember
"Avatar" or quote it in the way they do films like "Inception" or "Avengers Assemble". When I go into places like Forbidden Planet, I don't see any Avatar merchandise there, whereas there's plenty of stuff for things like "Alien" and "Terminator".

This article on Forbes argues the film hasn't stayed in people's minds, and
that its main legacy is popularizing 3D :
Avatar earned rave reviews, went on to become by-far the highest-grossing movie of all time, and won several Oscars...
It did not inspire a passionate following, or a deluge of multimedia spin-offs that has kept the brand alive over the last five years. Few today will even admit to liking it, and its overall effect on the culture at large is basically non-existent. It came, it crushed all long-term box office records, and it vanished almost without a trace.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/12/18/avatar-became-the-highest-grossing-film-of-all-time-while-leaving-no-pop-culture-footprint/

Do you think "Avatar" has dropped out of people's memories? And if it
has, what does this tell us about blockbuster films today?

Comments

• Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the sequels will still do well, but the plot was hardly original and being in the biggest film of all time still couldn't make a star of Sam Worthington.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    I'm sure the sequels will still do well, but the plot was hardly original and being in the biggest film of all time still couldn't make a star of Sam Worthington.

Yeah-there weren't really any memorable characters in "Avatar" . In fact,
    the only character from it I can remember is Michelle Rodriguez's pilot
    and Sigourney Weaver's scientist, and that's probably because I recognise
    the actors. And while people know Zoe Saldana, that's probably more because
    of "Star Trek" and "Guardians of the Galaxy".

As for the plot...sci-fi fans I knew kept arguing about which sci-fi story
    Avatar had ripped off the most (I said "Dune" by Frank Herbert, while
    others suggested "The Word for World is Forest" by Ursula Le Guin and
    "Call Me Joe" by Poul Anderson).
  • Options
    Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't have the cool factor that films such as The Terminator and Aliens had in the 80s and T2 in the 90's. It's basically Dancing with Wolves meets Star Wars whilst sponsored by green peace. Now don't get me wrong, it certainly deserved its awards and I find the visuals very memorable. But it's like Citizen Kane in the sense that you might find the actual story not particularly engrossing but cannot dispute it's groundbreaking qualities. I've never had the desire to watch it a second time but found it an enjoyable enough film.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I agree OP. It was so enormous at the time but has since faded away.
    It doesn't even seem to have much of a cult following or devotees.
  • Options
    VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avatar made mega bucks because it was the first big 3D, feature length, cinematic experience. The film itself was basically just a sci fi version of Pocahontas, and even at the time I don't think anyone rated anything other than the effects highly.

Of course it doesn't help that the market then began to respond negatively to 3D. Most people I speak to either actively avoid or are neutral to 3D, I don't know anyone that seeks it out/prefers it to 2D.

It will be interesting to see how the sequels do. 3D gimmick isn't a draw anymore and we have big hitters like Marvel and the return of Star Wars to fill the sci-fi niche now. I don't think there is really any demand for an Avatar sequel.... especially since it's been so long since the original.
  • Options
    Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting... it definitely does seem to be one of those movies that succeeded (albeit big time) due entirely to the effects and 3D, rather than due to character or story (cardboard and unoriginal respectively), and yes, you never hear or see anyone talking about it, or wearing t-shirts, playing with toys or whatever... I'd be inclined to say this bodes badly for the sequels, but I'm sure the effects hype will drag enough people into cinemas worldwide to make at least the first sequel worthwhile...
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,928
    Forum Member
    It felt like a 'tech demo' more than a film with heart and soul, so I can see how it kind of went in one ear and out the other for many who saw it. It is a very formulaic story, with formulaic characters.

And most of the 'rave reviews' were simply giving the special effects merit and saying the film was worth seeing for the spectactle. There were no reviews praising the writing, characters, acting, etc.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it at the time, but thinking about it a few hours later it made me a bit angry. Mainly because of how the noble savage thing was handled, and especially how the white guy became better at living the tribal life-style than the people born to it. I don't mind that this is a previously told story; I mind that it wasn't done well. Compare with District 9, which is essentially the same plot (member of the oppressing cast becomes one of the oppressed, and then becomes their saviour) but much more interesting.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    It hasn't aged terribly well. Some of the dialogue is toe-curlingly bad, and I think the design of the Na'vi was just awful. Compare them to the hyper realism of the Gollum character from Lord of the Rings and they just look stupid.
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never saw it, never understood the hype for a rather poor concept
  • Options
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    I enjoyed it at the time, but thinking about it a few hours later it made me a bit angry. Mainly because of how the noble savage thing was handled, and especially how the white guy became better at living the tribal life-style than the people born to it. I don't mind that this is a previously told story; I mind that it wasn't done well. Compare with District 9, which is essentially the same plot (member of the oppressing cast becomes one of the oppressed, and then becomes their saviour) but much more interesting.

Yeah, D9 was a more interesting variant of the same theme.

Also, there's the Dune connection I mentioned earlier (both Dune and Avatar have a primitive people
    living on a planet with a valuable substance, who are threatened by outside
    imperialists, and in both stories an off-world character joins the tribe and
    leads them to defeat their oppressors. Not to mention Frank Herbert also wrote
    the WorShip novels, set on a planet called....Pandora. )
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it again recently and realised what an average film it really is when all the hype about the tech used to make it is removed. Have to agree that even the storyline isn't that orginal - a large corporation wants to exploit natural resources for profit but have to get rid of the indigenous people first.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's likely because they don't remember the story too well. But mention "Big Blue People," they'll know exactly what you're talking about.

I actually disagree. It may not be vehemently talked about, but it's impact and memory are still known.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    007Fusion wrote: »
    That's likely because they don't remember the story too well. But mention "Big Blue People," they'll know exactly what you're talking about.

"Wasn't that "Watchmen?" ;-)
    I actually disagree. It may not be vehemently talked about, but it's impact and memory are still known.

Films inspired by "Avatar"? The only examples I can think of are
    "John Carter" (apparently "Avatar's" commerical success convinced Disney
    to green-light the movie) and "After Earth".

And there's two pop-culture references to "Avatar" I remember:

Ben Stiller dressing up as a Na'Vi at the Oscars:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/07/ben-stiller-goes-navi-at_n_489459.html

And Bullock mentioning the plot of "Avatar" in the American Dad! ep "Virtual
    In-Stanity".

That's about it.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I didnt see Avatar but thought District 9 was a very good movie and interesting :)
    Avatar seems to me to be based on Dances with Wolves or the Smurfs (not just because the people are blue) ;)
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Wasn't that "Watchmen?" ;-)

Films inspired by "Avatar"? The only examples I can think of are
    "John Carter" (apparently "Avatar's" commerical success convinced Disney
    to green-light the movie) and "After Earth".

And there's two pop-culture references to "Avatar" I remember:

Ben Stiller dressing up as a Na'Vi at the Oscars:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/07/ben-stiller-goes-navi-at_n_489459.html

And Bullock mentioning the plot of "Avatar" in the American Dad! ep "Virtual
    In-Stanity".

That's about it.

Fair, enough. But I was refereeing to it's Box-Office impact. And obviously, it's subsequent title of being 'The highest grossing movie of all-time'. But, you could also add: 3D and new technology, as associated references.
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its been a while since the first film came out, so perhaps it has slipped a little bit, but its not gone into obscurity.

Once the sequels get released. and Disney opens "Pandora: The Land of Avatar" at their Animal Kingdom park in '17, there's bound to be a fresh batch of hype around it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its been a while since the first film came out, so perhaps it has slipped a little bit, but its not gone into obscurity.

Once the sequels get released. and Disney opens "Pandora: The Land of Avatar" at their Animal Kingdom park in '17, there's bound to be a fresh batch of hype around it.

Hmm...are film fans excited about the idea of new Avatar films, though? People
    seem to be enthusiastic about the upcoming New "Ghostbusters" and "Mad Max" films, whereas there doesn't seem to be much interest in a new "Avatar" film.
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^Well I'd say they may not be excited now, like the Star Wars fans are for VII, but no doubt once the trailer for Avatar 2 comes out, it'll generate some hype and some recognition that there will be more trips to Pandora.

I appreciate that's an unfair comparison, Star Wars has been fan favourite for a long time, and Avatar has not.

Outside of the Avatarfans, there isn't much hype, but you can bet it'll be talked about once the sequel is released.

Its a long way off though, part 2 isn't due until Christmas Day '16, so there's plenty of time for this to be slowly hyped.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I think it's more to do with why Avatar was successful. Avatar was successful because it was a technological achievement, not because it had characters people care about or a plot line of any interest. It's very hard to merchandise or reference "technological achievement"...
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    An interesting article for sure, but the 'rabid following' of other modern franchises is a rather limited barometer to gauge from. A film that makes $2bn in international markets alone is perhaps operating in a different way. The prospect that forthcoming Avatars don't need that sort of support to achieve astronomical success has to be considered.

Regarding cultural impact in the true, old school sense however, then yes, a good point. But it's hardly alone. Even with the current billion dollar franchises operating, you have to accept the chances of films making the same dent as Jaws, Star Wars, Godfather, Sound of Music etc is extremely slim - you could argue that Titanic and the LotR trilogy were the last to really stain the fabric that way, but I wouldn't say it's a certainty. It's as much to do with how things have changed the world over now, and an issue shared with other cultural mediums - books, music etc (and compared to music, cinema seems in rude health).

I can see people questioning the wisdom of a full Avatar trilogy - which of course pitches it directly into the same arena as other franchises - but it shows Cameron hasn't lost any of his grand ambition. Though as ambitious as Avatar was, it lost ground due to its safe-as-houses narrative. This was perhaps an understandable creative decision given the size of the undertaking, and it forms the big question with the new trilogy - what the hell will it be about? Luckily Cameron has always known complacency is the enemy - so I think we can expect something more than just more of the same. Will we 'shit our pants' as he claims? We'll have to wait and see.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I agree with most of the others. It was a very basic story just there to show off the 3D and special effects.

I forgot about it so much that in The Big Fat Anniversary Quiz the question about the biggest earning movie of the past decade I didn't even consider it - it just didn't register.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Yeah - the main thing with it was the use of 3D - namely Real 3D(polarised lenses). It sort of sparked a renewed interest in 3D.

As for the film itself - well, it's okay. Like many people have said it's Ferngully on an Alien Planet or Dances With Wolves but with Smurfs. Compared to the piece of cinematic trash that was Cameron's Titanic - it's a masterpiece. I sort of don't think there are many defining cinematic scenes in it; when compared to sci-fi epics of old(e.g. Alien and the stomach buster, Star Wars with the two ships at the beginning, Bladerunner with the Deckard and Roy Batty fight, etc.). The storyline is okay - but you do get the feeling that it was mainly used to shoehorn in the new technology(at the time) of 3D.

I suppose that you have to sort of admire Cameron's scope - of trying to make a cinematic experience - rather a lot of films that are too small scale. Plus, trying to get people to view a film in a cinema rather on small screens(Ipads, Iphones, etc.).

Be interesting to see how the sequels are. It's been quite a while since the last film - so that might count against them.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member

Regarding cultural impact in the true, old school sense however, then yes, a good point. But it's hardly alone. Even with the current billion dollar franchises operating, you have to accept the chances of films making the same dent as Jaws, Star Wars, Godfather, Sound of Music etc is extremely slim - you could argue that Titanic and the LotR trilogy were the last to really stain the fabric that way, but I wouldn't say it's a certainty. It's as much to do with how things have changed the world over now, and an issue shared with other cultural mediums - books, music etc (and compared to music, cinema seems in rude health).

I agree with this.

Box office takings in no way reflect how a film will be remembered, if at all.

Here all all films to gross over a billion dollars:

Titanic $2,186.8
    Marvel's The Avengers $1,518.6
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 $1,341.5
    Frozen $1,274.2
    Iron Man 3 $1,215.4
    Transformers: Dark of the Moon $1,123.8
    The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King $1,119.9
    Skyfall $1,108.6
    Transformers: Age of Extinction. $1,087.4
    The Dark Knight Rises $1,084.4
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest $1,066.2
    Toy Story 3 $1,063.2
    Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides $1,045.7
    Jurassic Park $1,029.2
    Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace $1,027.0
    Alice in Wonderland (2010) $1,025.5
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey $1,017.0
    The Dark Knight $1004.6

Most are very forgettable films and not worth comparing with all the classics throughout the years. Transformers and Pirates are h0rsesh1t but they make up a fifth of the list. The worst Star Wars film is the only one to make the list, and Alice in Wonderland, wtf ?

So, Avatar made all its mulah based on how it looked but it doesn't deserve to be talked about today.
  • Options
    ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never watched it. 'Tis why.