iPad - any owners disappointed?

John259John259 Posts: 28,424
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Serious question, as I'm considering purchase.

Has anyone purchased a iPad and been disappointed - and if so, why?

(Anyone who doesn't like them and hasn't bought one, fair enough but please don't post in this thread - please)

Comments

• stephen122333stephen122333 Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I brought one, and I got it back in the summer and am more then happy with it. I now only turn on my laptop to backup my iPad & iPhone and to update the computer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Serious question, as I'm considering purchase.

Has anyone purchased a iPad and been disappointed - and if so, why?

(Anyone who doesn't like them and hasn't bought one, fair enough but please don't post in this thread - please)

Only disappointment for me is that the case is not included in the price and the screen is shiny.

Then again I was able to put a screen protector of my choice on it (went non shiny) andmust say the apple case work well and feels nic in the hand.

I take it out a lot so need this type of case......

In fact this morning forgot to send some data from my home pc to work but was able to log onto home computer using splashtop remote and compose and send an email with the data attached......:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    i love my ipad, only criticism i have is that some flash videos do not work and can be very annoying, and therefore have to use the laptop. case in point is that the itv player do not work on the ipad, but bbc player does. Other day i browsed the volvo website and could not request a brochure and many volvo flash video's missing, on the laptop no such problem.

new ipad is coming out soon with improvements, so i would wait for it
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    love mine was a birthday present from my husband - I think he regrets buying it for me though as he says I'm glued to it and he's a ipad widower :D - I use it everyday and have hardly used my laptop since owning it
  • pumazoomapumazooma Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it. I got mine back in June and I still use it every day for surfing, mail, useful apps and games. It's a great device for all sorts. I don't have a problem with flash as I rarely visit sites that have it. Besides it'll all move to HTML5 soon anyway.

I'm taking it on my Xmas travels. It's so much lighter than my laptop, will do everything I want it to and I'll probably never need to charge it for the course of the week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goodkarma wrote: »
    i love my ipad, only criticism i have is that some flash videos do not work and can be very annoying, and therefore have to use the laptop. case in point is that the itv player do not work on the ipad, but bbc player does. Other day i browsed the volvo website and could not request a brochure and many volvo flash video's missing, on the laptop no such problem.

new ipad is coming out soon with improvements, so i would wait for it

Flash will not be on the new ipad either,

BBC iplayer has a section for ipad/iphone etc that is not flash based.

Just get one of the apps like splashtop (others free) where you can control your laptop from your ipad and browse using laptops browser to see flash etc.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I don't own an iPad but I had the use of one for 3 months.

As with most Apple products, it is very, very good at the stuff it does do. Really, really slick.

I did find myself getting a bit frustrated by the limitations of the system architecture.
    I mean, it's all very well having the ability to do stuff but if, for example, you happen to have a bunch of series of The Simpsons on an external HDD it can be kinda annoying that it's not easy to get them onto the iPad so you can watch them.

Equally, for business, I found myself having to email spreadsheets and presentations to myself so I could open them on the iPad and access them.

It's true that app's such as Dropbox can get around this but it can be a PITA having to upload a couple of movies to your dropbox account just so you can view them on your iPad and, even then, you're reliant on having an interweb connection to stream from.

It just seems like it would have been much more useful if it had a (dare I say it?) more windows-like file structure with a "My documents" folder that you could copy stuff into easily.

Also, using the iPad felt very "Star Trek" and having to sync it with iTunes really brought you down to earth with a bump. iTunes is a dreadful bit of software IMO.
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I don't own an iPad but I had the use of one for 3 months.

As with most Apple products, it is very, very good at the stuff it does do. Really, really slick.

I did find myself getting a bit frustrated by the limitations of the system architecture.
    I mean, it's all very well having the ability to do stuff but if, for example, you happen to have a bunch of series of The Simpsons on an external HDD it can be kinda annoying that it's not easy to get them onto the iPad so you can watch them.

Equally, for business, I found myself having to email spreadsheets and presentations to myself so I could open them on the iPad and access them.

It's true that app's such as Dropbox can get around this but it can be a PITA having to upload a couple of movies to your dropbox account just so you can view them on your iPad and, even then, you're reliant on having an interweb connection to stream from.

It just seems like it would have been much more useful if it had a (dare I say it?) more windows-like file structure with a "My documents" folder that you could copy stuff into easily.

Also, using the iPad felt very "Star Trek" and having to sync it with iTunes really brought you down to earth with a bump. iTunes is a dreadful bit of software IMO.

It must take forever to upload movies to dropbox. You can use vlc player to store all sorts of video formats on the iPad. You have to copy them across via iTunes but it's easy enough.

I've had my iPad for about 6 months and I've used it almost everyday. The whole family can use it. Some great learning apps for kids. I'm not the biggest fan of iTunes but other then that I can't complain at all about the iPad.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if, for example, you happen to have a bunch of series of The Simpsons on an external HDD it can be kinda annoying that it's not easy to get them onto the iPad so you can watch them.
    How about if the computer they were on, and your iPad, both had a connection to your wireless router? Can you map a network drive on an iPad like you can in Windows, or some equivalent?
  • VallhundVallhund Posts: 5,374
    Forum Member

OS X has a documents folder. :rolleyes:

My documents sounds soooo Fisher-Price. ;)
    I have heard it is very bad on Windows, on OS X it isn't anything to write home about either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iTunes is a dreadful bit of software IMO.
    Is iTunes used to download apps?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can use the app store on the iPad to download apps. There is iTunes on the iPad to purchase music, movies and download podcasts. It's iTunes on the pc that alot of people don't like. You have to use iTunes on your pc to register and update the iPad and back it up and if you want to put your music and other media onto the iPad you do it via iTunes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gavo360 wrote: »
    It must take forever to upload movies to dropbox. You can use vlc player to store all sorts of video formats on the iPad. You have to copy them across via iTunes but it's easy enough.

I've had my iPad for about 6 months and I've used it almost everyday. The whole family can use it. Some great learning apps for kids. I'm not the biggest fan of iTunes but other then that I can't complain at all about the iPad.

or the CineXplayer
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    or the CineXplayer

I have that aswel. Vlc has crashed for me a few times.
  • fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have used mine everyday pretty much since the summer. Only use pc to sync now. Lack of flash is annoying on rare occasions but YouTube, iplayer and tvcatchup work and I imagine more will follow.

Best bits, so easy to use in bed can actually snuggle up with it:D

No worrying about viruses, no worrying can my iPad handle this app? You just know it will work perfectly.

The fact it is always 'on', no waiting for pc/ laptop browser to load up, my favourite part actually.

Not disappointed at all, in fact I can't imagine how I lived without it for so long!!,
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Vallhund wrote: »
    OS X has a documents folder. :rolleyes:

My documents sounds soooo Fisher-Price. ;)

I have heard it is very bad on Windows, on OS X it isn't anything to write home about either.

as always reading the words but missing the point.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    gavo360 wrote: »
    I've got an app for my iPhone that'll stream video from a PC that has VLC Player installed on it.
    That'd work if, say, you wanted to watch a movie in bed while your PC was on but I was thinking of, for example, bunging movies or TV shows onto it to watch while you're waiting to catch a plane or summat.

I haven't seen an app that actually uses VLC Player to, somehow, copy stuff across to the iPad but, then again, I didn't really want to mess too much with mine cos it wan't actually, erm, mine.

To be blunt, where I work people often have whole series' of TV shows to watch on their laptop in down-time and, for me, the inability to easily blag copies of that type of thing was a real downer.

How about if the computer they were on, and your iPad, both had a connection to your wireless router? Can you map a network drive on an iPad like you can in Windows, or some equivalent?
    Erm, I don't think so.
    Again, I'm no expert and some of the others in this thread might be able to give you a better answer.

Thing is, the iPad doesn't have ANY kind of obvious file system. There's no "drives" or directories or anything to see.
    About the closest you can get is to, for example, use iTunes to drop files onto your iPad which a specific application will work with.

If there's a VLC-style video player for the iPad it might be possible but I simply didn't see any app for the iPad that'd work like that with.
    No. Not neccesarily.

The simplest way to install apps is using the App Store on the iPad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got an app for my iPhone that'll stream video from a PC that has VLC Player installed on it.
    That'd work if, say, you wanted to watch a movie in bed while your PC was on but I was thinking of, for example, bunging movies or TV shows onto it to watch while you're waiting to catch a plane or summat.

I haven't seen an app that actually uses VLC Player to, somehow, copy stuff across to the iPad but, then again, I didn't really want to mess too much with mine cos it wan't actually, erm, mine.

To be blunt, where I work people often have whole series' of TV shows to watch on their laptop in down-time and, for me, the inability to easily blag copies of that type of thing was a real downer.

Erm, I don't think so.
    Again, I'm no expert and some of the others in this thread might be able to give you a better answer.

Thing is, the iPad doesn't have ANY kind of obvious file system. There's no "drives" or directories or anything to see.
    About the closest you can get is to, for example, use iTunes to drop files onto your iPad which a specific application will work with.

If there's a VLC-style video player for the iPad it might be possible but I simply didn't see any app for the iPad that'd work like that with.

No. Not neccesarily.

The simplest way to install apps is using the App Store on the iPad.

you can just copy across to VLC player or Cinex using itunes
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    My only criticisms are that like all Apple mobile products, the iPad is too PC dependent and too closed a system. Would love to be able to load things on to it straight from memory stick/ card. But apart from that it's great. Pick up and use.

The third party Skyfire browser will allow most flash videos to be played on iphone/ipad now. They're converted remotely from Flash to HTML5 format and are played in a pop up window. Read the reviews before purchase though as it's not perfect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks again to everyone who has commented, apologies if I don't reply individually but they've all been read and appreciated.

After struggling for a month to make Win7 behave in something like a reasonable fashion, I'm increasingly tempted by the iPad's promise of a much more enjoyable computing experience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

2 choices,

install Air Video, £1.79 or free version with limited number of files shown.

It converts on the fly and streams across your wireless network and can see any drive etc set up on the server software installed on the pc.

Other choice is something like splashtop £1.19, free version limited to 5 minutes but good for tests., it takes control of your pc so even flash stuff can be viewed via wireless.

You can also set it up to connect remotely via the web etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks again to everyone who has commented, apologies if I don't reply individually but they've all been read and appreciated.

After struggling for a month to make Win7 behave in something like a reasonable fashion, I'm increasingly tempted by the iPad's promise of a much more enjoyable computing experience.

To show how easy I gave mine to my mates mum to try, she has never even used a pc before.

She was delighted at how easy it was to use without any training except to show the basics. :D
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love my iPad. I still love my MacBook Air but love the seamless way it works as all Apple products do with each other.

My only complaint is that the screen is very reflective on the train in the window and it compelled a very odd man to try to see what I was posting on DS :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow27 wrote: »
    Love my iPad. I still love my MacBook Air but love the seamless way it works as all Apple products do with each other.

My only complaint is that the screen is very reflective on the train in the window and it compelled a very odd man to try to see what I was posting on DS :D

A matt screen protector will cure that problem.

Its what I have and very rarely have to change angle due to reflections.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I love mine, never had a laptop before , just a desktop. Just check the software your main computer needs to sync with it, it's 10.5 or later on the Mac, not sure about pc. The iPad won't work until it has first synced with iTunes