Options

Considering Vision for Sky sports

LocksmithLocksmith Posts: 572
Forum Member
✭✭
Got Sky sports and ESPN with TopupTV but it looks like I can get them with BT for £10 pm less!
I know you access the sports channels via freeview, but I don't think my bb speed will be enough for the other Vision services. Whilst I can live with this, will the box still let me access the sports channels?
Also, whats the vision box like as a freeview PVR?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take it the vision box works ok then as it's very quiet here! :)
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    Locksmith wrote: »
    Got Sky sports and ESPN with TopupTV but it looks like I can get them with BT for £10 pm less!
    I know you access the sports channels via freeview, but I don't think my bb speed will be enough for the other Vision services. Whilst I can live with this, will the box still let me access the sports channels?
    Also, whats the vision box like as a freeview PVR?

Thanks

If you are into your Sports then I would NOT recommend BT Vision, instead get Virgin or Sky as Sky and Virgin have all the Sky Sports channels in SD (standard definition)

If you have a new TV after 2006 with a HDMI Socket on it then I would get Sky for the Sky Sports HD channels

All the Prices for you are below

Sky
    Entertainment package £21.50 a month or for the Full range of the Entertainment channels then go for the £26.50 a month package
    Sky Sports package is £21 a month
    ESPN is £10 a month
    HD Pack if wanted is £10.25 a month

Total if you wanted everything is £67.75 a month

Virgin TV without a Phone Line but with a TiVo box

Size M+ TV £18 a month
    Size L TV £24.50 a month
    Size XL TV £35.50 a month

Sky Sports Collection £25.75 a month
    HD Pack if wanted £7 a month

Total if you wanted everything including Size XL TV it is £68.25 a month
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for reply, Can't have cable and don't want a dish or the full package with sky.
    As I said I'm currently getting SS 1 and 2 and ESPN from Topup TV. It's £42 per month. As I've just transfered to BT broadband I can have the same channels for £32 pm which will suit me but I'd like to know if the vision box is a good enough freeview pvr compared to my current Thomson one.

I see a little here and there about a possible FreeviewHD vision box but no actual answers as to if and when.
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    Thanks for reply, Can't have cable and don't want a dish or the full package with sky.
    As I said I'm currently getting SS 1 and 2 and ESPN from Topup TV. It's £42 per month. As I've just transfered to BT broadband I can have the same channels for £32 pm which will suit me but I'd like to know if the vision box is a good enough freeview pvr compared to my current Thomson one.

I see a little here and there about a possible FreeviewHD vision box but no actual answers as to if and when.

BT Vision will start to use the YouView box soon, I just suggest you wait for BT to bring it out, on the YouView box will also have the UKTV channels
    which are now owned by Scripps as Virgin sold the channels to them

More information can be found here www.youview.com
    BT information can be found here www.youview.bt.com
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thankyou
  • Options
    stej86stej86 Posts: 921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thankyou

I have the current bt vision pvr box with sky sports and espn and have had no issues at all in the last 2 years.

Can recommend it as the cheapest way to watch premier league football, international cricket etc in SD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Locksmith, I think BT Vision is the perfect solution for you - my parents are in a smiliar postion, they get ESPN through Top Up TV and were looking at Sky Sports, however as they get their broadband through BT they've suddenly realised that if they get BT Vision they can save themselves a lot of money.

As has already been stated, the sports content is through the freeview channels so you won't have to worry about your BB speed (although the on demand content works on a relatively low BB speed).

As has been posted, it may be worthwhile waiting a month or so to see what the BT Vision YouView offering is (as then you'll get the benefit of HD channels, and they might even through BT Infinity into the package so you can make more of the on demand content too!!).
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By going through BT, you should be able to get the best possible deal with BT's new sports channel which will launch next year.

However, BT will currently only supply Vision if your broadband is fast enough to support it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I am going to hang on a little while to see what the youview offering will be.
    On the bt site if I use the postcode checker it says I'm fast enough but if i use the speedchecker button it's says no!
    I am actually still on orange bb just waiting for bt to change it and I'll see if my speeds alter and then make my mind up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Well if the BT site says your postcode should be quick enough, then the speedchecker would indicate that Orange aren't delivering you the speed that BT could (hopefully anyway!). It sounds promising at least!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, BT broadband enabled yesterday, and after thinking it was cack, I searched the web and switched off automatic channel chooser on the home hub 3 and hey presto 3.2mbs :)
    Just waiting for the youview offering now!
  • Options
    wwwebberwwwebber Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, BT broadband enabled yesterday, and after thinking it was cack, I searched the web and switched off automatic channel chooser on the home hub 3 and hey presto 3.2mbs :)
    Just waiting for the youview offering now!

Cool. Im waiting too. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just read in the faq's on the bt site that Sky sports 1&2 are not available on youview but only on the btvision box so no point in me waiting then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read in the faq's on the bt site that Sky sports 1&2 are not available on youview but only on the btvision box so no point in me waiting then.

Link?
  • Options
    tallguy9tallguy9 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems strange when TalkTalk are offering Sky Sports 1 - 4 and FI on their You View offering.
    This could of course be something to do with BT winning those premiership rights, and as we know Sky don't really welcome aggressive competition.
    Of course it could just be that they haven't completed their negotiations with Sky yet, though I would guess that Sky won't be looking on them favourably!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what to make of it. We do know that BT intend to offer live linear channels (IPTV) to thier customers very soon. I can only guess that this is a future intention and that the Q&A statement merely stipulates what is available right now and is quite misleading.

Wait until BT launches thier Youview offering and see what BT have to say.
  • Options
    promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will it really matter if BT offer the Sky Sports channels? Sky will be making entertainment and sports available through NOW TV so live sport will be available to YouView customers, just through the NOW TV app instead of the BT Vision player.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    promo-only wrote: »
    Will it really matter if BT offer the Sky Sports channels? Sky will be making entertainment and sports available through NOW TV so live sport will be available to YouView customers, just through the NOW TV app instead of the BT Vision player.

Yes, it will matter a great deal. Now TV won't support HD (assuming that BT versions do) and you can't record it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a cracking link provided by a friend from another forum :-

http://recombu.com/digital/news/how-can-i-get-youview-and-bt-broadband-bundled_M10826.html

This explains that BTs Youview will have SS etc but not straight away - these channels should also be live IPTV channels and will sit alongside regular Freeview programming in the guide instead of via a separate BTVision / Now TV player. I'm guessing this means that you can record them just like any other channel which puts it at a distinct advantage when compared to Now TV or even Talk Talks offering. I'm hoping for HD versions too.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now TV almost certainly will be more expensive as it is not a bundled service like BT Vision or Sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went through the ordering process to check it all out and bt want to send an engineer to improve my bb speed and install it all. £35 which looks like it includes powerline adaptors. How can he make my bb faster then?
    My homehub is plugged in the master socket that does have an iplate fitted as well.
    There is an activation fee (£40) and a viewing card fee (£10) but I will still be £60 better off over the minimum 12 months term and have all the extra btvision content as well IF an engineer can make it faster!!! (which I doubt).

As Sky sports won't be available on bt youview for (probably) a good while I'm thinking to go with it now and review the situation after the 12 month contract. I did fancy Freeview HD but guess I'll live without it for for a while longer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wwwebber wrote: »
    Yes, it will matter a great deal. Now TV won't support HD (assuming that BT versions do) and you can't record it.

Now TV on Xbox supports HD - admittedly it's only 720i but it's still a lot better than a SD picture. Like Netflix etc it goes along and offers you the best picture your connection can handle... this is something the YouView box can't currently do at all and I have a feeling that's a major reason there's no HD available other than what comes down your aerial. As for recording, you won't be able to do that via the TalkTalk or BT players either so it won't just be a Now TV fail - that's yet another thing YouView should have addressed before rushing the service out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    Now TV almost certainly will be more expensive as it is not a bundled service like BT Vision or Sky.

I'm not too sure about that though because straight off the bat they offer the movies subscription £1 cheaper than on their own satellite platform. IF full linear channels are accessible via Now TV it'll be interesting to see the full price because it'll go into direct competition with both BT and TalkTalk on the same platform. Personally I can't see Sky charging £30 like TalkTalk do. Then again they might just offer PPV coverage as a bonus for non-subscribers who want occasional premium sport on top of their Freeview offerings. We'll have to wait and see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now TV on Xbox supports HD - admittedly it's only 720i but it's still a lot better than a SD picture. Like Netflix etc it goes along and offers you the best picture your connection can handle... this is something the YouView box can't currently do at all and I have a feeling that's a major reason there's no HD available other than what comes down your aerial. As for recording, you won't be able to do that via the TalkTalk or BT players either so it won't just be a Now TV fail - that's yet another thing YouView should have addressed before rushing the service out.

BBCs iplayer offers HD on Youview.

BTs IPTV channels should be recordable on Youview. They're ensuring that IPTV channels look and feel like proper live Freeview channels by putting them in the guide. If you cant record them just like any other channel I'd be very disappointed and surprised.