Options

Why are a Minority of People with Titles Arrogant over how they are addressed?

Comments

• Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    You should call your customers whatever your employer expects you to call them.

This.
  • Options
    Fizzee RascalFizzee Rascal Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strictly speaking I'm Doctor Rascal, but I'm not going to get arsey about being referred to as Mr or by my name.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    Strictly speaking I'm Doctor Rascal, but I'm not going to get arsey about being referred to as Mr or by my name.

Have you ever said "Trust me....."

My pal has just got her doctorate, it's in wildlife, flora and fauna something or other....I put it on everything texts to "DR S"...lol!

You should be proud!

(Dr Fizzzzzeeee)
    :D
  • Options
    BizBiz Posts: 14,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    ...... if someone ticks the box that says "Reverend" then any mail they get will go to "Rev...".

In the course of my work, I once had to speak with a vicar, whom I addressed as Mr. He corrected me, saying "It's Reverend actually".

He was engaged in persuading others to provide a bed for the night for a homeless person, and I believe he had a kind of day centre for the homeless.

I wasn't impressed by his humility.
  • Options
    The RatThe Rat Posts: 6,048
    Forum Member

Do you seriously know anyone who would? Of all the people I know with doctorates, none give a shit about being referred to as Dr or Mr informally, although sometimes they can look at it different in a professional context, but again this is the exception rather than the rule IME.

Dave
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    Biz wrote: »
    In the course of my work, I once had to speak with a vicar, whom I addressed as Mr. He corrected me, saying "It's Reverend actually".

He was engaged in persuading others to provide a bed for the night for a homeless person, and I believe he had a kind of day centre for the homeless.

I wasn't impressed by his humility.

Bit of a pedant!

I find "The Honourable Member" a bit hard to take with a straight face....

*sniggers*
  • Options
    Calibans DreamCalibans Dream Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bottom line is that there is no law that forces you to address anyone as anything. Not even the Queen.

All that happens is that you are pressurised into conforming to what they see as correct.

If I were to meet the Queen I would address her as Mrs Windsor as that is her name. (Well her name now that her predecessors changed it from the German one they had)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as doctorates are concerned you can get those online.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If someone has a title and you insist on not calling them it just to score a point (which most people wouldn't give a toss about) it just makes you a bit of an arse IMO.

It's just your basic good manners.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I don't like been addressed as Sir in shops, just irks me.
    Not sure why though.

So what would you prefer?
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    They're not superior to anyone.. they're just people.

and some are pricks.. and arrogant ones at that..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once had a customer on the phone that set up an account. He insisted that the account should be in the name of Squadron Leader (insert name here)

I did it because I had to but I begrudged it as he was a pompous old git.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »
    If someone has a title and you insist on not calling them it just to score a point (which most people wouldn't give a toss about) it just makes you a bit of an arse IMO.

Exactly. The plastic class warriors on DS are a constant source of amusement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No it's all a hang-over from the class system of old and people like you post that it's good manners to keep people inline with that.

The arse is the person who insists on being addressed by a title they have. No one else.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it's all a hang-over from the class system of old and people like you post that it's good manners to keep people inline with that.

The arse is the person who insists on being addressed by a title they have. No one else.

Inverted snobbery.

Such a classless thing to have.

And by 'people like me' I assume you mean people with manner.

Yep. Happy to be me thanks.
  • Options
    RowieboyRowieboy Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't David Jason a Sir? I can't imagine him asking people to call him sir. I've never met a Sir or Lord so I couldn't say.

I can well imagine it...Not the nice person you think!
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A relative of mine married a Lord, he wasn't too bothered about the title, but we all knew that we now had a 'Lady' in the family!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inverted snobbery.

Such a classless thing to have.

And by 'people like me' I assume you mean people with manner.

Yep. Happy to be me thanks.

I do not have a problem calling anyone by their title be it Rev, Dr, Sir, Lady, Mr or Mrs.

I just do not like people that demand you do and get all snooty over it. I find they come across as too self important.

Fotunately it has only ever been an issue once. I have a customer who is a "Lady" and she is a cracking old gal.
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    Skyclad wrote: »
    Because they are superior to you and expect a little respect.

They get no respect off me, If I meet The Queen , I would not call her - you Majesty it be Elizabeth or Lizzie
  • Options
    BizBiz Posts: 14,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As has been said, it's just good manners to address someone you don't know by their title, whatever it is. If you don't you're just showing yourself up as an ignoramus who doesn't know any better.

They'll tell you if they want you to use their first name or nickname - like Mr. Mustard, who invites people to call him Musty. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RickyBarby wrote: »
    They get no respect off me, If I meet The Queen , I would not call her - you Majesty it be Elizabeth or Lizzie

Ah Ricky. Still 'sticking it to the Man' eh?:p
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I do not have a problem calling anyone by their title be it Rev, Dr, Sir, Lady, Mr or Mrs.

I just do not like people that demand you do and get all snooty over it. I find they come across as too self important.

Fotunately it has only ever been an issue once. I have a customer who is a "Lady" and she is a cracking old gal.

I this kinda covers it for me.
    In the same way I don't usually shorten people's names, even if it's what they're used to, kinda depends on the relationship I've got with them.
    I wouldn't call a Doctor by their first name, if I met them at their place of work, just a bit of distance/respect.

I must say it used to give me the pip, when we'd get tech support letters/emails with all the various titles BA Hons, etc, etc.
    Slight inkling they're trying to 'Lord it' when it's not required or helpful.
    If you're been paid to do it and they're a bit snooty about it, bite your tongue and do it or try a workaround, address the group their with instead of the individual if possible.

Then again, I'm well out of customer facing roles now and would never go back if I can avoid it.
    I've got a knack of rubbing people up the wrong way, even when I'm not trying...
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    ............. I used to work with a bloke whose dad was a baronet and he was dreading the day that his dad died and he would be "Sir Anthony" (he was also mortified that we found out, lol)..................

I can't help wondering how you found out about it. Surely it's an easy thing to keep secret.

And if he's dreading it so much, he could always relinquish the title. Though he may have to wait until he inherits it first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So what would you prefer?

No need for the title at all in shops 'hello or excuse me...' works fine for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I can't help wondering how you found out about it. Surely it's an easy thing to keep secret.

And if he's dreading it so much, he could always relinquish the title. Though he may have to wait until he inherits it first.

I suppose it depends how guarded you want to be at work doesn't it?
    Where'd you go to School, College, what your parents, family do, family get togethers, etc.
    All sorts of things come out in conversation or not depending on how guarded you want to be.

The number of people who knew my Sister had a Daughter at work over 20+ years and various companies can't have come to double figures.
    When my Niece got married only 2 people at her work knew.