What if Forums were around to talk about Wrestling in the 80's /90's

James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
Forum Member
A idea I have had is what do you think would have been spoken about in the 80's and early to mid 90's of course we can talk about before that to.

What would be said about Hogan at the time.

Ideally I would like to talk about it like it was happening not in past tense I'll post below a example.

Comments

• James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Example just before Wrestlemaina 3

Does Hulk Hogan deserve or need to be the first person to get the win and likely slam André the Giant.

For me I don't think he does he's already the biggest name out there and that win could really help someone else to make it to the top.

I also think he will slam him as reports from house shows says he is doing that on them already.
  • goodol lsgoodol ls Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Perfect needs the main strap. Circa 1991. Why is Bulldog feuding with Warlord and not the top guys?
  • EELoverEELover Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were in the mid 90s, MSN had wrestling forums in 1994/5 and there was the RSPW usenet group (which Johnny B. Badd was actually a poster making him and early internet wrestling darling, being a great worker helped too).

I remember people ranting about Savio Vega's push in the 1995 King of the Ring and later in the year Mabel's push, speculating on Jeff Jarrett and The Roadie (now Road Dog) rumoured leaving the WWF after losing the IC strap to Shawn Michaels (which turnout to be true), wondering if Chris Benoit would be hired by the WWF following his (dark) tryout match on RAW and whether Nitro would be successful when it launched or a calamity (as it was going up against RAW), Jeff Jarrett rumoured to be going to WCW as (get this) Captain Planet green hair and all (never did find out if that was 100% bull or a scrapped plan).

It was all exciting even though to be honest the WWF was the pits a lot of the time (Diesel/Sid/Mabel pushes thank you very much), even back then people though Hogan was washed up and needed to retire (pre-nWo). Looking behind the scenes was really new to a lot of people, even though it was no real surprise it was all pre-determined (the idea of a wrestling zombie - the Undertaker - was a bit of a giveaway when he debuted, even to a 12 year old).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goodol ls wrote: »
    Mr Perfect needs the main strap. Circa 1991. Why is Bulldog feuding with Warlord and not the top guys?

Well at the time there was only ever one top heel (whoever was being fed to Hogan) and face vs. face matches were quite rare to I think Bulldog got as good a push as he could get for the time (culminating in winning the IC strap), too bad he had to leave when the steroid scandal broke.
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    EELover wrote: »
    I remember people ranting about Savio Vega's push in the 1995 King of the Ring and later in the year Mabel's push,

I wouldnt say Savio got a push when he lost in the finals. Mabel yes id agree on as the previous year he was losing to guys like Jarrett.

Heres a question for you. Who would you have booked to face Diesel for the WWF title at Summerslam 1995?

Without the obvious Daveyboy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we really need topics like this when we have a WWE discussion?

Is there any need to have wrestling discussion in a single thread given there are so many different topics and its a changing landscape? Seems quite silly to restrict it to a single thread given how popular it is on the forum. We don't have a single thread to discuss Corrie or EastEnders, similar type of constant episodic programming in that respect. If the number of threads get too much then DS should consider a wrestling forum I would think.
    Forum Member
    Is there any need to have wrestling discussion in a single thread given there are so many different topics and its a changing landscape? Seems quite silly to restrict it to a single thread given how popular it is on the forum. We don't have a single thread to discuss Corrie or EastEnders, similar type of constant episodic programming in that respect. If the number of threads get too much then DS should consider a wrestling forum I would think.

Yes DS should give us wrestling fans our own forum so we can have as many wrestling topics as we deem fit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Especially for those of us who watch other promotions such as ROH as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldnt say Savio got a push when he lost in the finals. Mabel yes id agree on as the previous year he was losing to guys like Jarrett.

Heres a question for you. Who would you have booked to face Diesel for the WWF title at Summerslam 1995?

Razor Ramon or Bam Bam Bigelow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes DS should give us wrestling fans our own forum so we can have as many wrestling topics as we deem fit.

Sounds like there is support, encourage everyone to start new threads for new wrestling topics. If people moan telling you to use the WWE thread point out (rightly - it's on its 28th version for gods sake) it's too long to keep track of things and topics get lost in it and that not all wrestling is WWE. Viva la revolution! Only by forcing the issue will you get the forum you need.

Not a huge wrestling fan (anymore - was a massive one in the 90s) myself, but this setup on this (US TV) forum seem stupid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I concur completely. Would be nice to have a dedicated nineties WWF thread and a WCW one for the fans of both companies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

With hindsight (impossible not to have) Bret (shortened Diesel's disastrous reign and lengthened Bret's still ending at WM12). They could have tried Bret vs. Razor rematch at Survivor Series to replace Bret vs. Diesel (or Bam Bam as someone else put forward), both were massively over at the time. Bret had great matches with everyone at that time.

Re: Savio, agreed his push did not amount to much, but on the day it looked like they were pushing him to the moon, with the pairing with, when he first appeared, Razor and debut match at IYH etc. There were a lot of "OMG! Can't believe Savio's gonna win!" posts mid-PPV, this was Kwang in everyone's eyes at the time to the fledgling IWC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Savio Vega was ok in hindsight but he should never have been at the top of any card. I did like him in Los Boricuas, even thought that was an explicitly racist angle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Savio Vega was ok in hindsight but he should never have been at the top of any card. I did like him in Los Boricuas, even thought that was an explicitly racist angle.

Yeah, he was a decent mid-card wrestler, very agile for his build, think he was over enough to hold the IC strap in 96 if they'd wanted to go that way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He fought his last WWE match against Darren Drozdov. Now there is another wrestler I have not heard for a long time.
  • Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I didn't start using the internet until the latter half of the 90's it's still an interesting discussion. As I said in the main WWE thread I read the dirt sheets and not particularly kayfabe magazines such as Power Slam and its predecessor as far back as 1994. Hence I do remember enough about the 'smart fan' approach as far back as the mid 90's.

I don't think these wrestling forums would be this consistently busy until Monday Night Raw began. Even then it wasn't until Nitro begain in late 1995 and Raw went two hour in 1997 that the industry started to move at the pace we're used to thesedays. The forum would be alive for Saturday Night's Main Event and PPVs; the television broadcasts were squash match central, however. One, maybe two at most important plot developments a month. Another factor to consider is shows being taped nearly a month in advance.

I can imagine Hulk Hogan being ripped apart on here in late 1991 and early 1992. Especially as it comes out he lied about steroids, Hulks Up from the tombstone and then eliminates Sid in in the Royal Rumble.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee_Smith2 wrote: »
    I can imagine Hulk Hogan being ripped apart on here in late 1991 and early 1992. Especially as it comes out he lied about steroids, Hulks Up from the tombstone and then eliminates Sid in in the Royal Rumble.

Or the ending of WM9 in '93, that surely would have raised hell.
    Forum Member
    Razor Ramon or Bam Bam Bigelow.

Razor had busted ribs at the time hence why he couldnt compete in the tournament. Saying that he did perform at Summerslam so I guess so.

I wanted Razor to win 94.

Thats one promotion I just couldnt get into. Fans tell me all the time to watch it as the closest you get to actual wrestling but Ive tried but couldnt see the appeal.
    Not a huge wrestling fan (anymore - was a massive one in the 90s) myself, but this setup on this (US TV) forum seem stupid.

I agree. It should get its own section and crazy it gets labelled as USTV.
    Yeah, he was a decent mid-card wrestler, very agile for his build, think he was over enough to hold the IC strap in 96 if they'd wanted to go that way.

I really wanted him to take the IC belt off Jarrett on Raw 95. Figured he had 4 matches the previous night so hes taking the belt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or the ending of WM9 in '93, that surely would have raised hell.

I doubt Yokozuna would have been liked in the nineties? I hope I am wrong as I really invested in that character.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt Yokozuna would have been liked in the nineties? I hope I am wrong as I really invested in that character.

I was think more of Hogan just strolling in, challenging Yoko to an impromptu match, winning the title in seconds and then disappearing until KOTR. What total waste of time, and then he refused to pass the torch to Bret later in the year!

I think Yoko was ok, safe for a man his size (no causing injuries to everyone like Mabel) and had ok matches with Bret. Don't remember a lot of hate for him at the time in 94 onwards, IWC seemed lukewarm to positive. His moves looked good too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, if this forum was around then I would have been totally scathing of Hulk. That really wasted Yokozuna. He was this behemoth who was unbeaten and had just destroyed Bret to win the gold, and then Hogan just breezes in and makes Yokozuna look weak in seconds. It stunk to high heaven.
  • Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yokozuna used to bore me senseless back in 1993 and 1994. Although when I revisited his matches I realized how much I underrated him.

Another act that bored me was Mr Bob Backlund, which I guess was the point to an extent. Looking back at it now and I really admire him for returning into a different world and playing such a departure from his 1970's act with so much heart. That type of character in the New Generation Era was really clever of Vince too.

Highlights the difference between being a 10 year old casual fan and a much older smark.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee_Smith2 wrote: »
    Highlights the difference between being a 10 year old casual fan and a much older smark.

TBH when I was a kid I thought the Undertaker was an awful wrestler/worker up until his feud with Mankind in 1996 (liked the gimmick hated the longer matches). Bar Bret Hart (who seemed to be able to have a good match with anyone), his matches in WWF to date stunk an I hadn't seen his pre-WWF stuff. It became apparent he was saddled with bad opponents and his zombie gimmick being played too heavy at the time made it impossible for decent wrestlers to get a good match done (Bret was the main person who did it) when in fact he was a good wrestler under it all.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Also considering wrestling is international, not just US based.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think someone requested a wrestling sub forum a couple of years ago, but the mods rejected the idea.