Options

Is my Sky + box faulty ?

Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
Forum Member
✭✭
I have a Sky+ box (not HD).
When I am watching Sky, I get a normal picture and sound, but lately my recordings are all 'jumpy' and jerky, as if someone is playing about with the pause button.
Is my box faulty ?
I don't want to do a 'factory reset' or whatever it's called because I have a lot of recordings, going back to before it started going jumpy.

Comments

• Options
    timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you rebooted the box to see if that cures it?
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What make and model of Sky+ box (on white sticky label underneath) - essential info on this sort of query? Could be any of numerous faults including but notlimited to failing HDD or ailing power supply (Thomson boxes are notorious for this). Have you tried a Sky+ planner rebuild which should not delete any recordings?
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Do old SD Sky+ boxes have planner rebuild?
    I wasn't aware of that.
    :)
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Do old SD Sky+ boxes have planner rebuild?
    I wasn't aware of that.

Yes all Sky+ boxes SD & HD
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Well you learn something new every day!
    I thought that only came in with the later EPG software on the HD boxes.
    I certainly would have used it when I had an SD Sky+ box if I'd known it was there!
  • Options
    SMILER30SMILER30 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    This is a known problem at the moment on the sky+ boxes, a planner rebuild should cure it.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kenedin wrote: »

Asks you to sign into your Sky account, and once done, permission denied to read it!!
  • Options
    kenedinkenedin Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asks you to sign into your Sky account, and once done, permission denied to read it!!

It was there this morning. Now it's been removed. They said they're aware of problems with white Sky+ boxes, and they're working on a solution. No idea why that post is gone.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put SERVICES menu on then press 4 0 1 Select and the installers menu will come up, mine has gone from stuttering to looking like a stream of ribbons and flying backward or forward several minutes at the slightest button press.

Shocked to see an IDE hard drive inside, thought the white Sky+ boxes had Sata Hard Drives. Looks like mine is a gonna now, nothing worth saving on there at least but still a pain. Planner Rebuild didn't do much for me though. :(
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Put SERVICES menu on then press 4 0 1 Select and the installers menu will come up, mine has gone from stuttering to looking like a stream of ribbons and flying backward or forward several minutes at the slightest button press.

Shocked to see an IDE hard drive inside, thought the white Sky+ boxes had Sata Hard Drives. Looks like mine is a gonna now, nothing worth saving on there at least but still a pain. Planner Rebuild didn't do much for me though. :(

Not sure why you expected a SATA drive, the old white Sky+ boxes are quite old now, not even sure if there was a SATA drive when they were first manufactured.

It wasn't until 2007 that SATA drives started really taking over more than IDE drives in PC's, and by then, Sky were manufacturing the HD box, so there would have been no update to the Sky+ box then.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure why you expected a SATA drive, the old white Sky+ boxes are quite old now, not even sure if there was a SATA drive when they were first manufactured.

It wasn't until 2007 that SATA drives started really taking over more than IDE drives in PC's, and by then, Sky were manufacturing the HD box, so there would have been no update to the Sky+ box then.

I think my PC must have been full of them at that point, I even had the venerable 120gb Maxtor drive in my first, that died and when MESH returned it it had a Sata one inside. The white boxes looked space age compared to the old grey ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My recordings are unwatchable :(
    Here are details of my Sky+ box :
    Manufacturer - AMSTRAD
    Model No - A2P0802
    Version No - 4F2118
    Serial No - 0332683217

When I try to watch a recording, the picture becomes pixillated, the sound stops but the picture continues and then the sound returns.
    Also, nearly every day, the box 'freezes'. The remote have no effect and I have to switch the box off at the wall, wait and the turn it back on again.
    Other times, I press the keys on the remote and nothing happens. Then a couple of minutes later, the box comes to life and obeys the commands of the remote.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Hi, Sky have put an announcement on their site concerning this :

http://www.sky.com/mysky/latestnews/article/my-sky-updates/latest-help-and-support-issues/

Hope this helps. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, Sky have put an announcement on their site concerning this :

http://www.sky.com/mysky/latestnews/article/my-sky-updates/latest-help-and-support-issues/

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks.
    I see that it mentions AMSTRAD DRX280 and AMSTRAD DRX180 but I don't know if this means MY box. However, it DOES mention 4F21, which IS my box :confused:
    So when they eventually get this sorted, will I be able to watch my recordings after all ?