Options

Did Hitler have the right idea?

Comments

• Options
    linfranlinfran Posts: 5,607
    Forum Member
    Perhaps the man in the supermarket was vegetarian. Hitler was too.
  • Options
    WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are some positive things to have come from the Nazi regime, as although they were extremely inhumane and distasteful, the regime forwarded medical science quite rapidly.

The exposure survival suit, as worn by North Sea workers. The lifejacket. Cold weather gear. Alsorts of life-preserving equipment was pioneered and researched by the Nazis directly because of their lack of regard for human life.

They had no qualms about chucking a Jew into a tank of water that was 1 degree celsius and seeing how long it took him to drown or freeze. They'd then repeat the experiment with another Jew, only see how long material x kept them alive for.

In a way, it goes a small way to "paying for" the horrors of the regime, that we are able to take the information gathered so barbarically, and put it to good use.
  • Options
    BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    batgirl wrote: »

As this was in a supermarket, though, maybe he was thinking about vegetarianism - one story goes that Hitler was a veggie.

Vegetarianism and organic food were popular theories at the time - and were also followed by Mosely , the Mitfords and right-wing aritso- fascists of the time.

My great-grandparents ( who were communists in the 20's and 30's ) were also vegetarians.

As for Hitler I recently stumbled on this web site -

http://www.catsthatlooklikehitler.com/cgi-bin/seigbest.pl?6

:eek:
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ThinBoy wrote: »
    Hitler was occassionally prescribed a vegetarian diet by his physician as a cure for chronic flatulence

I can't imagine anyone having the nerve to complain:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barbella wrote: »

That's brilliant :D

This one's a dead ringer.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ThinBoy wrote: »
    There are 2 myths being perpetrated in this thread - that Hitler was a vegetarian and that Mussolini made the trains run on time.

Hitler was occassionally prescribed a vegetarian diet by his physician as a cure for chronic flatulence, and the reform of the Italian railway system was put in place before Mussolini came to power.

I don't know much about Hitler's good ideas or whether he had any - the only ones I got to hear about were all the bad ones.

Hmm I heard that he turned vegetarian after his girlfriend killed herself. Said it meat reminded him of her. Though looking up on google, people say he wasn't a vegetarian. Confusing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    I suggest it's an indirect racist remark, wishing upon some ethnic group the outcome of the Holocaust.

I'm a little shocked you have to ask because it seems the obvious interpretation.

I was thinking the same thing. Methinks the OP protests too much.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batgirl wrote: »
    It's a tad tasteless, but people do use the phrase to kind of illustrate a tough way of dealing with something undesirable.

As this was in a supermarket, though, maybe he was thinking about vegetarianism - one story goes that Hitler was a veggie.

Yes, of course, that's what the guy was inferring. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Aside from Hitler's persecution of the Jews (which was wrong) I wonder whether we'd have suffered the events of 9/11, had history been different ...
  • Options
    misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The central tenet of Hitlers ideals, namely to restore national pride to a Germany humiliated and broken after WW1 was essentially sound. However the extremists within the Riech managed to manouvre this into something far more sinister.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aside from Hitler's persecution of the Jews (which was wrong) I wonder whether we'd have suffered the events of 9/11, had history been different ...

Possibily, possibly not but Hitler and the Nazi regime were allied with Muslims and the Mufti (muslim leader) of Jerusalem actually sought German help to exterminte jews there but was refused even though he spent time in Berlin as a guest of Himmler. Another little know fact is that there were Muslim SS troops in the Balkans that hunted jews - so the nazi's weren't totally rascist.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    misha06 wrote: »
    The central tenet of Hitlers ideals, namely to restore national pride to a Germany humiliated and broken after WW1 was essentially sound. However the extremists within the Riech managed to manouvre this into something far more sinister.

Hitler exploited the need to restore national pride, he filled the vacuum left by Versailles. He had no ideals, wasn't sound, and was as guilty as his colleagues. In what way was Hitler not an extremist?
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitler had the right idea in the same way that any totalitarian regime has the right idea.

The parks will be lovely and tidy, you'll be able to walk down the street without being mugged, mail will be delivered nice and early, education will be free, and anyone who doesn't fit into the norm expected in such a Utopia will end up dead in a ditch with all the others.

Would you accept a perfect society in exchange for your freedom of thought and action?
  • Options
    dawnrayddawnrayd Posts: 6,746
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Hitler exploited the need to restore national pride, he filled the vacuum left by Versailles. He had no ideals, wasn't sound, and was as guilty as his colleagues. In what way was Hitler not an extremist?

He did have ideals, twisted we may say, which were all detailed in his book Mein Kampf. If the Soviets of the time had paid any attention, then they would have saw the warning signals (before the invasion in the east). Hitler devoted many chapters to the importance of Germanic expansion to the east, living room, and that was where he saw the future of the German nation. A society of German farmer types, served by Slavs, stretching up to the Ural mountains. After the outbreak of war, more extreme policies developed, and led to the terrible crimes against humanity that we are all familiar with.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Well said Biffo, my response to dawnrayd would have been along similar lines, but not as eloquent. :cool:
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    Possibily, possibly not but Hitler and the Nazi regime were allied with Muslims and the Mufti (muslim leader) of Jerusalem actually sought German help to exterminte jews there but was refused even though he spent time in Berlin as a guest of Himmler. Another little know fact is that there were Muslim SS troops in the Balkans that hunted jews - so the nazi's weren't totally rascist.

Well, they allied with the Japanese too. War makes strange bedfellows. Do you really think that if the Nazis had eventually controlled Europe those Balkan Muslims would have continued to be valued troops? Hostilities between a Nazi Europe and Japan would, I think, have happened many years later, but would have happened as German expansionism continued. While it was convenient, the Nazis would have allied with ANYONE to fulfil their goals. I'm guessing Europe's Muslims may have been the next target once the "Final Solution" had been achieved.

That's the problem with an evil idealism like Nazism- it never stops. There is no middle ground. Once you've begun justifying anti-Semitism by the "keeping the race pure" argument there's no logical point at which one can draw a line. The box is opened; the genie's out of the bottle. And whoever you were mates with in the early stages have no choice other than to become your sworn enemy. That's what happens when logic and compassion are sacrificed in favour of hate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets put all the leaders in the same prospective, they all wanted to make their country better. Hitler had a vision of creating a master race, George Bush is another Hitler so is Tony Blair, how about Robert Mugabe , kim ll sung, Saddam Hussein, Pol pot etc .All they have in common is killing people to justify their importance in the world, me i just think they are evil people who we ought to get rid of. The World wont get better with these people ruling.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,796
    Forum Member
    Barbella wrote: »
    Vegetarianism and organic food were popular theories at the time - and were also followed by Mosely , the Mitfords and right-wing aritso- fascists of the time.

My great-grandparents ( who were communists in the 20's and 30's ) were also vegetarians.

Would that be Kitler and is there also a Pussolini
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,796
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Well, they allied with the Japanese too. War makes strange bedfellows. Do you really think that if the Nazis had eventually controlled Europe those Balkan Muslims would have continued to be valued troops? Hostilities between a Nazi Europe and Japan would, I think, have happened many years later, but would have happened as German expansionism continued. While it was convenient, the Nazis would have allied with ANYONE to fulfil their goals. I'm guessing Europe's Muslims may have been the next target once the "Final Solution" had been achieved.

That's the problem with an evil idealism like Nazism- it never stops. There is no middle ground. Once you've begun justifying anti-Semitism by the "keeping the race pure" argument there's no logical point at which one can draw a line. The box is opened; the genie's out of the bottle. And whoever you were mates with in the early stages have no choice other than to become your sworn enemy. That's what happens when logic and compassion are sacrificed in favour of hate.
    Hear hear. Hitler signed a non-agression pact with Stalin whilst it was conveneint in the early stages of the war, but soon forgot about it when he turned his greedy eyes on invading Russia, something we should all be grateful for cos thats what led to the Nazis losing the war.
    Hitler and the Nazis would, if they had continued unabated, have been fighting perpetual wars with anyone they didn't like or agree with.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Maybe he meant he had the right idea by shooting himself, just shame it took him so long to do it.

If he did have any good ideas, they are I am afraid outshone by his vile nastiness and cruelty in other things.
    You beat me to it.
  • Options
    Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    Being seperated from loved ones and watching them being led off to the gas chambers to be killed must have been a fate worse than death.

Having said that I cannot imagine the horrors that prisoners were subjected to as a result of experiments.....

No Hitler didnt have the right idea....he was cruel and blinded by his own self importance, which in the end is what defeated him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »

Aryan muslims were considered fine, the SS also wanted to create an Assyrian Panzer Division which actually from a fanboy point of view is pretty cool.
  • Options
    El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KingCanute wrote: »
    As bizarre as it may seem, when I was in the supermarket doing some shopping the other day, I heard a gentleman say this to his wife that "Hitler had the right idea". I'm not really sure what he meant by this, and thought that it seemed like a bit of a strange thing to say. Does anyone use this phrase, and if so, in what sort of context?

Was the "gentleman" Jeremy Clarkson by any chance? :D
  • Options
    BugPowderDustBugPowderDust Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @ the OP- considering you only caught the end of the conversation, he could've been talking about the German's research into jet engines! Hitler was convinced his secret weapons would win the war for him, but it was too little too late.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    El Guapo wrote: »
    Was the "gentleman" Jeremy Clarkson by any chance? :D

The same Jeremy Clarkson whose father-in-law won the VC in WW2 and who has made numerous programmes about British heroism against the Nazis?