what sat receiver to buy?

poggspoggs Posts: 474
Forum Member
Hello,

Newbie to sky question.

I have an active sky subscription, with a SKy+hd box in the livingroom, another sky+hd box in my sons room on a multiroom sub and a third non pvr skyHD box on freesatfrom sky card.

If I want to watch something in my bedroom that is on sub, I take the sky+hd box from downstairs and wire it up in my bedroom, reversing in the morning.

Needless to say, this is a pain. Is there a sat box I can buy that will take my legal valid card and decode my channels so I dont have to do the box shuffle any more?

Comments

• theAREtheARE Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poggs wrote: »
    Hello,

Newbie to sky question.

I have an active sky subscription, with a SKy+hd box in the livingroom, another sky+hd box in my sons room on a multiroom sub and a third non pvr skyHD box on freesatfrom sky card.

If I want to watch something in my bedroom that is on sub, I take the sky+hd box from downstairs and wire it up in my bedroom, reversing in the morning.

Needless to say, this is a pain. Is there a sat box I can buy that will take my legal valid card and decode my channels so I dont have to do the box shuffle any more?

Best bet would be to get another Sky box off ebay if that's all it's going to be used for. If you need something more complicated then some Dreamboxes can use Sky cards I belive - but those are expensive. A sceond hand SKY HD box shouldnt cost much off ebay
  • staticmanstaticman Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    poggs wrote: »
    Hello,

Newbie to sky question.

A Technomate TM-5402HD will do what you want, all you would do is swap your card instead of your box! As it stands your card will enable you to watch the basic package of channels with no problems, but extra subs like movies and sport will need a little more input on the 5402!

Previous poster said get another Sky box, but that does not help you in what you want?

Google is your friend!
  • poggspoggs Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    staticman wrote: »
    A Technomate TM-5402HD will do what you want, all you would do is swap your card instead of your box! As it stands your card will enable you to watch the basic package of channels with no problems, but extra subs like movies and sport will need a little more input on the 5402!

Previous poster said get another Sky box, but that does not help you in what you want?

Google is your friend!
    Thanks. Saw his one whilst googling but thought it seemed over specked and thus over priced for occasional use. Dont need pvr or dual recording etc.

It would take 15 months of mulitroom sub before breaking even. Is there nothing cheaper?
  • GBCULLENGBCULLEN Posts: 1,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is it the case that when you move the box upstairs someone downstairs wants to watch something else ie free to air.? the cheapest option is to run a coax cable from the box downstairs rf2 to aerial in on the one upstairs, then to allow you to change channels get a sky eye thingy. you select the best rf channel on the sky box and tune it in to upstairs tv you wont have hd but as good as. cost about 15 quid, and you can get a second remote at that price, see ebay.

or get a video sender but a bind and dearer.

gbc