Options

RE gone Mad

2»

Comments

• Options
    far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    An a smaller scale, but, When I was at Primary school, a non religious one, we were forced to 'put our hands together and prayer' and sing hymns. Obviously, I was too young then to realise or say anything, but looking back it seemed ridiculous that we had to do that. I remember getting a right rollocking (to tears) for not singing along with the hymns.
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mordirith wrote: »
    Religion will soon be a dead belief in a few years. Education is becoming more widespread and religion is in decline.

No it won't and no it isn't. I think you'll find Christianity is booming world wide.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    far2cool wrote: »
    An a smaller scale, but, When I was at Primary school, a non religious one, we were forced to 'put our hands together and prayer' and sing hymns. Obviously, I was too young then to realise or say anything, but looking back it seemed ridiculous that we had to do that. I remember getting a right rollocking (to tears) for not singing along with the hymns.

Appalling. Schools have a lot to answer for.
  • Options
    far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    No it won't and no it isn't. I think you'll find Christianity is booming world wide.

There's definitely a gag in there somewhere, but I think it's best that I leave it...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's definitely a gag in there somewhere, but I think it's best that I leave it...

:D:D:D
  • Options
    WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like an attempt at some sort of brainwashing.Im glad the kids rejected it.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member

I also had to sing pro Christian songs, and recite they're prayer twice a day in a non religious school from the age of seven to eleven. Thankfully it had no effect on me. In a school of several hundred surely it had to have some affect on others though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O'Neill wrote: »
    I also had to sing pro Christian songs, and recite they're prayer twice a day in a non religious school from the age of seven to eleven in a non religious school. Thankfully it had no affect on me.

We were also forced to do this (I wasn't raised by a Christian family) so I was an athliest in school but I actually quite liked the hymns :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry but you're wrong!
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was young Religious Education was to teach you about other faiths , we not forced to practice it , this has made me angry

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/sports/non-muslim-brit-boys-detained-for-not-praying-to-allah_10068046.html

If only this were true...I did an RE GCSE last year and absolutely all of it was about Christianity and the assumption that Christianity was 100% correct was absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firthy2002 wrote: »

Well can't disagree with the Huffington Post :D:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If only this were true...I did an RE GCSE last year and absolutely all of it was about Christianity and the assumption that Christianity was 100% correct was absolutely necessary.

We seemed to learn about Jews all the time in RE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ours was mostly about Christianity. Possibly Judaism was touched upon maybe once or twice. I'm sure the teacher being a Jesus freak wasn't coincidental!
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member

I remember having to draw a menorah, and a dreidel, in secondary school. But other than that it was all Christianity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ours was mostly about Christianity. Possibly Judaism was touched upon maybe once or twice. I'm sure the teacher being a Jesus freak wasn't coincidental!

IMO RE teachers should be agnostic. Not athliest and not a believer. Kids need to look at these things from somebody who's completely unbiased.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member

Same as in my school. How she used to act was pretty scary actually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like those Christians who for some reason think Jesus was white and refuse to believe he would have been darked skinned.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O'Neill wrote: »
    It was posted four years ago.
    You are having a go at the wrong person - it was hammonds that dug this 4 year old thread up, Uncle Fester was the OP!

I wasn't having a go really - I was just a bit surprised - Uncle F is normally pretty current.

But you're right of course - I didn't notice it was a resurrection thread .... and Hammond is now gone!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like those Christians who for some reason think Jesus was white and refuse to believe he would have been darked skinned.

I like those that cherry pick Leviticus. All of it or none of it please!
  • Options
    37 Years37 Years Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO RE teachers should be agnostic. Not athliest and not a believer. Kids need to look at these things from somebody who's completely unbiased.

I don't think it matters what they believe in themselves, but they need to be able to keep their views and beliefs on one side.

The RE teacher I had at school managed to do this perfectly well and my RE lessons were some of the most enjoyable ones I had at school.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    37 Years wrote: »
    I don't think it matters what they believe in themselves, but they need to be able to keep their views and beliefs on one side.

The RE teacher I had at school managed to do this perfectly well and my RE lessons were some of the most enjoyable ones I had at school.

Okay you're right. It doesn't matter what they actually believe as long as they teach it from an agnostic point of view.