Options

BBC proposes BBC Three becomes online only (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »
    May be worth listening to The Media Show at 4.30 on Radio 4. Hard to believe this won't feature.

Talking about it on Radio 5 now.

Richard Bacon sounds upset. That's a lot of work he'll be missing out on.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart P wrote: »
    how expensive can a live feed from parliament be?

The last figures for content that I saw said that content cost just £2 million a year. And the DTT bitrate was around 2.6Mbps
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would not be first time that ways have been found to avoid a closure that has ben announced (or leaked).

Only good things is, does it mean we will get BBC4 in HD on Freeview Lite?
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,952
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Probably is true but I will believe it when it is officially announced and not just a rumour in a tabloid.

It is no longer a tabloid (or broadsheet) rumour. It's on the BBC News website and BBC News and BBC 5 Live

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26447089
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not many, but it will increase the likelyhood that they will vote for the Licence Fee to be scrapped if it were to happen.

This is what the Tory scum want, everything to be privatised, lets not forget that they are friends with a certain Mr Murdoch, whose companies would benefit from the TV Licence being abolished.

That is what I have seen saying all this time, Murdoch has been exposed, why should anyone be on his side...

I will only accept any sell-off of the BBC if it means other boradcasters have much tigher PSBs and little if any adverts (and only between programmes)
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    As it turns out... broadcast is the superior concept. "Online" is just parasitically re-using broadcast content and has made zero progress in going it's own way.

Online streaming has been unable to stand on it's as a provider of original TV content. Even amongst the young who would be expected to be more receptive to that sort of thing.

Recently Amazon Prime took on-board a BBC programme, Ripper Street. Why would Amazon do that? Can they not create their own programming and get people to watch it?

No, they can't. The psychology of streaming does not work to duplicate the "TV experience".

BBC3 content exclusively online is a dead idea that will go nowhere.
    TV internet streaming is still in it infancy, and without a massive increase in the broadband speeds in this country is going to be a slow grower.

Streaming via the Internet just cannot match the quality of broadcast TV. When I streaming I do mean live streaming, not on-demand streaming such as Netflix.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,952
    Forum Member
    ITN Source wrote: »
    That is what I have seen saying all this time, Murdoch has been exposed, why should anyone be on his side...

I will only accept any sell-off of the BBC if it means other boradcasters have much tigher PSBs and little if any adverts (and only between programmes)

Sadly what you will or won't accept is of little or no relevance :D

Unless you are a Government minister ??
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Not many, but it will increase the likelyhood that they will vote for the Licence Fee to be scrapped if it were to happen.

Closing BBC3 down doesn't mean the BBC would stop making programmes aimed at young adults.

Considering what pitiful viewing figures BBC3 gets it hasn't been that successful at what its trying to do anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »
    House Of Cards in the US is online only, made by Netflix, and that seems to be doing all right....

It's based on the BBC series but it's original, newly made, content.
    The US market is different to the UK market though.

The US version of Netflix is far superior to the UK version.
  • Options
    eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    It would not be first time that ways have been found to avoid a closure that has ben announced (or leaked).

Only good things is, does it mean we will get BBC4 in HD on Freeview Lite?

There are many unanswered questions at this stage, but I would expect so. A lot of re-jigging will have to happen one way or another - because of the way Three/CBBC and Four/CBeebies are linked through the production chain.

Such a scenario would leave only CBeebies HD on the COM7 mux. Not entirely sure how they would deal with that.
  • Options
    The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    I have to say, I think retaining the BBC Three branding for an online only young adult offering would be completely daft.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will be pleased if this is a reprieve for BBC 4.

The only trouble is that if this is a success they might then decide to do the same with BBC4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »
    How is this any different from the first years of BBC3 and 4 when they were only available to the small percentage of people that had Freeview STBs?
    Not quite the same thing and you know it. It has been known for years that DTT was going to replace analogue.

Those channels not being on Analogue was not a cost issue like this is.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they don't keep the Three branding for online, then it'll confuse people as to why there is a BBC ONE, TWO and FOUR, but no THREE. What will happen it's slot on Freeview though. Will CBBC extend hours or will BBC One+1 be a 7pm and after only channel? Will be interesting to see how thin pans out.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So BBC Three HD may be one of the shortest-lived HD channels to have existed. I guess they'll have to put secondary live football on BBC Two in the future? Or maybe reintroduce BBC Red Button HD...but then surely that'd cost money too?
  • Options
    tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any chance Scotland getting BBC Radio back 24x7 on Freeview with BBC 3 going?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    So BBC Three HD may be one of the shortest-lived HD channels to have existed. I guess they'll have to put secondary live football on BBC Two in the future? Or maybe reintroduce BBC Red Button HD...but then surely that'd cost money too?
    Move the Red Button service to online-only perhaps?

Considering its part-time (and intermittent) nature, it might be seen as a sensible move.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have merged CBBC and Cbeebies to be honest I still do not see the point of CBBC being on air during school hours.

BBC Three was always going to go, axing BBC Four would have almost certainly caused more uproar with middle England and The Daily Mail. I just hope the demise of BBC Three doesn't lead to the BBC losing touch with the youth market. It is important for them to remember young people are the next generation of BBC viewers, don't abandon them completely.
    I would agree with this, because before they launched the separate channels children's programming always shared screen time, with Cbeebies content being shown first followed by CBBC.
  • Options
    Tfan26Tfan26 Posts: 6,829
    Forum Member
    Jokes about vaginas and such will now be on everyone's phones.
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems to answer once and for all the debate about how much PSB value there ever was in the majority of BBC3's output.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart P wrote: »
    well obviously not enough people like the dumbed down junk they are churning out or else it wouldn't be chopped. hey?
    Viewing figures for BBC 3 are quite good so you are wrong. Besides if high viewing figures mean less dumbing down then that would mean ITV offers more intelligent programming than BBC 4. Do you really believe that?
  • Options
    GPWGPW Posts: 3,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Merge the kiddies channels instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    I don't think Middle England or the Daily Mail are fans of BBC Four to be honest, ITV3 is more their channel. I quite agree though, I really hope this doesn't mean that younger people turn their back on the BBC.

Of course it will. But this is just further that today's older generations are more self-centred than generations before.
    It's a "Me, Me, Me" attitude, not helped by the fallacy that younger generations watch everything online and on Youtube.

Can't help but think that this decision won't have been helped by the fact that the people that did take part in the BBC's information gathering about their services will have all been older too.

They have basically starting to put the nails into the Licence Fee's coffin with this stupid decision.
    What a stupid idea it is to provide less for the Generations that will decide on their funding in the future...
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GPW wrote: »
    Merge the kiddies channels instead.

In fact just screw the kids channels altogether. Dump the daytime crap and repeats that are currently shown on BBC1/BBC2, and put the kids stuff on there.......you know, like they used to do in the 70's/80's!!>:(
  • Options
    GPWGPW Posts: 3,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fact just screw the kids channels altogether. Dump the daytime crap and repeats that are currently shown on BBC1/BBC2, and put the kids stuff on there.......you know, like they used to do in the 70's/80's!!>:(

Good idea.