Options

is one direction gift too young for a five year old?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
Forum Member
My neice loves one direction and I brought yer some stuff for her birthday but am now unsure if thats right? Your thoughts please? ? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get her a CD of 1D music rather than anything else. Hopefully that'll help her focus on something positive - music rather than 1D.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My niece is 6, nearly 7 and she loves them. I got her some OD stuff for xmas (stationary, books etc)

can I ask what it is you got? does she like OD?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Get her a CD of 1D music rather than anything else. Hopefully that'll help her focus on something positive - music rather than 1D.

Good idea thanks.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My 7 yr old grandaughter loves them and her 5yr old sister has followed suit. Whether that would be the case if her sister wasn't interested is another point. I gave them the singing toothbrushes which they love and drive their parents mad with and also the concert movie (the first one) Think the 2nd would be too old for them. I also bought them t shirts and they wore them to school (they don't have uniform in Holland ) and apparently all their class mates now want one
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry about it.
    These things are passing phases so in a year or so she will like something else.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    besty99 wrote: »
    My neice loves one direction and I brought yer some stuff for her birthday but am now unsure if thats right? Your thoughts please? ? Thanks.

If she likes 1D then something is clearly wrong there...:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noddy didn't have a lot of talent other than looking cute, and One Direction seem much the same!

What harm can it do - other than she might leap around making strange noises?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    My niece is 6, nearly 7 and she loves them. I got her some OD stuff for xmas (stationary, books etc)

can I ask what it is you got? does she like OD?

Just a stationery set!
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a stationery set!

yeah it should be fine if she loves them. My niece loved her set I got her! :D
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    My seven year old niece loves them too. I got her a poster for Christmas and a CD. She was delighted!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Great thanks
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she loves them she probably has their cds already.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a stationery set!

I'm sure she'll love it.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And how would buying her a 1D CD help her focus on something positive like Music? :D

/Joke
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being an 18 year old 1D fan I am often told it's cute when little girls love them but weird that I do! :blush:

So yes they are appropriate for kids.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boofie wrote: »
    Being an 18 year old 1D fan I am often told it's cute when little girls love them but weird that I do! :blush:

So yes they are appropriate for kids.

My son wanted a singing 1D card for his 3rd birthday and he got it, he wanted 1D stationery for his 4th birthday and he got it... His 5th birthday is next month and he has already let me know that he doesn't want anything 1D this year as they're for babies ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    My son wanted a singing 1D card for his 3rd birthday and he got it, he wanted 1D stationery for his 4th birthday and he got it... His 5th birthday is next month and he has already let me know that he doesn't want anything 1D this year as they're for babies ;-)

Result (thumbs up) !
  • Options
    SammmymackSammmymack Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confused. Do you mean "is a 5 year old too young for a 1d gift?" If so, no!
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds as though she'd be happy to receive a 1D gift, but that's a separate issue from whether 5yrs old is too young to become involved in merchandised fandom. Arguably, there's already a stack of merchandised, branded material targeting the under 5's, and mostly non-related to the music industry: Bob the Builder, Sponge Bob, Thomas the Tank Engine etc. So in theory, branded merchandise from the music industry is no different.

However, for me, current 5yr olds will deal with branded goods for the rest of their entire lives, and I'd choose not to accelerate that process, and would opt for something less commercial at this stage. Personally, I'd go for something that helped her to express her own creativity, rather than fed into Syco Records' profitability.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »

He is wiser then his years.:D:D;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,203
    Forum Member
    I work in a Primary school with Nursery Unit attached, and near enough every girl aged 3-11 years old love One Direction!
    They all come in with their 1D hair bobbles/hairbands, schoolbags, dolls, stationary, masks (YES MASKS!) you name it I've probably seen it.
    We;re having a bun sale next week to raise money for Trocaire and I've ordered 1D toppers for buns and my sister is making a cake topper also lol.

So yeah If she likes 1D you're fine lol
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C_K_07 wrote: »

For now! Just wait when she discovers the likes of Twitter and Facebook! :D
  • Options
    DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C_K_07 wrote: »
    I work in a Primary school with Nursery Unit attached, and near enough every girl aged 3-11 years old love One Direction!
    They all come in with their 1D hair bobbles/hairbands, schoolbags, dolls, stationary, masks (YES MASKS!) you name it I've probably seen it.
    We;re having a bun sale next week to raise money for Trocaire and I've ordered 1D toppers for buns and my sister is making a cake topper also lol.

I've been amazed at the variety of merchandise on sale - duct tape! The boys really look nothing like the photos on them anymore, must be two years since Zayn had just the one tattoo. Louis and Harry certainly aren't looking like teen pin ups at the moment. If they want to secure an older fanbase they need to stop marketing to pre-teens - they can't sell 2012 1D for much longer surely. Kiss You will remain a peerless music video though.

They've brought out a new perfume - the boys look like vampires on the box.
    http://t.co/mNXG0n7mz5

I recently sat next to a 8/9 year old boy on a train who was listening to Midnight Memories through 1D headphones. I wanted to show him that I was also listening to the album to make him laugh but the track I was on was called 'Why Don't We Go There' so I thought best not ^_^
  • Options
    Tfan26Tfan26 Posts: 6,829
    Forum Member
    I've been listening to pop music from such a young age. Of course there are artists who are more "mature" but One Direction should be fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sammmymack wrote: »
    Confused. Do you mean "is a 5 year old too young for a 1d gift?" If so, no!

Obviously. Silly question