Options

Coro St theme needs to be brought into 21st century

2»

Comments

• Options
    iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    Beaconboof wrote: »
    If you don't change with the times, you will be become a parody of your former glory.
    I seem to you remember saying The Vic doesn't have a long term future in EE either :D

While times do change, some things need to stick around or you're leaving the original concept too much.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the theme tune is the least of its problems. And that goes for all the soaps.

You can give the look and sound of the production a makeover but it won't change any fundamental problems with the show.
  • Options
    BeaconboofBeaconboof Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    I think the theme tune is the least of its problems. And that goes for all the soaps.

You can give the look and sound of the production a makeover but it won't change any fundamental problems with the show.

I'm not so sure about that. Sometimes, all it takes is one simple something to be changed and then everything else falls into place. The tenor of the show changes and everybody finally realises how to get out being stuck in the shadow of past glories.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not so sure about that. Sometimes, all it takes is one simple something to be changed and then everything else falls into place. The tenor of the show changes and everybody finally realises how to get out being stuck in the shadow of past glories.

But in the case of Corrie at the moment, the theme tune isn't what's making it bad but the terrible writing and characterisation.

Changing the theme tune will not fix the stories.

Just as moving to a brand spanking new set has not made any change to the bad characterisations playing out on screen.
  • Options
    iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    What a ridiculous statement. So you think changing the theme tune would change the whole show and it's problems?

Corrie's theme tune has nothing to do with any 'past glories', I mean really?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iMatt_101 wrote: »
    What a ridiculous statement. So you think changing the theme tune would change the whole show and it's problems?

Corrie's theme tune has nothing to do with any 'past glories', I mean really?

Not ridiculous at all. It's an intuitive statement. The Coro St theme tune in its hackneyed incarnation represents something that history tells us is a 'national treasure' and THAT self awareness is primarily the handicap that has made the show completely lose its vision.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't say the the theme tune should change, as in have a new tune. I said the theme tune should be transformed to fit the contemporary world.

How would you transform it then, without changing the tune? Would you like a drum and bass beat in the background, or what?
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Corrie's theme should be changed into a pseudo-jazz style, just like EE during the early '90s.

That worked so well, after all.;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How would you transform it then, without changing the tune? Would you like a drum and bass beat in the background, or what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbRPaK4CStM
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That sounds horrendous.

I was teasing about that. :)
  • Options
    honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    Then watch your show continue its steady decline. This kind of rigidity is why the show won't survive another 15 years.
    People were saying that forty years ago.
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Who the hell has ever referred to Corrie, Correh or Coronation St as 'Coro St'?

:confused:
    Its called "coro" for short round our way. :)
    I didn't say the the theme tune should change, as in have a new tune. I said the theme tune should be transformed to fit the contemporary world.
    Oh yes. A rap in the middle would be lovely. ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh my godfathers, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

certainly not. why not go the whole hog and add lyrics and do a gushy version like neighbours!!!!!!!
  • Options
    HelicaseHelicase Posts: 4,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are some really bizarre posts in here saying "the theme tune can't change...".

It has changed, and that's exactly the problem. The original had authenticity and drama. The current version has nothing.

The only change to be made is to change it back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helicase wrote: »
    There are some really bizarre posts in here saying "the theme tune can't change...".

It has changed, and that's exactly the problem. The original had authenticity and drama. The current version has nothing.

The only change to be made is to change it back.

I think they should use a sample of the original, but add something from the urban genre to reflect the predominant sound of today's popular music.
  • Options
    Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    During yesterday's soap sessions, my boyfriend's father noticed that Emmerdale's opening tune changed a lot (he doesn't watch it.) He then proceeded to a 10 minute rant about how wrong it is for soaps to mess with their iconic theme tunes and couldn't imagine if Eastenders did the same.. Please don't start him off even more with Corrie :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should use a sample of the original, but add something from the urban genre to reflect the predominant sound of today's popular music.

Popular with tweenies, yes. With everyone else over the age of 25, no.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Popular with tweenies, yes. With everyone else over the age of 25, no.

They can suck it up as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can suck it up as far as I'm concerned.

And that's the problem with media in general these days. Aimed at nothing but the teens/early 20s with dumbed down crap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And that's the problem with media in general these days. Aimed at nothing but the teens/early 20s with dumbed down crap.

So you acknowledge that Coro St doesn't reflect the world we live in today?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you acknowledge that Coro St doesn't reflect the world we live in today?

No, the media doesn't as it panders to a minority group. Corrie at least tries to represent a wide proportion of the age spectrum. It is not youth orientated, it shouldn't be youth orientated, thus nor should its theme tune. So yes, Corrie does do a fairly reasonable job of representing the world we live in as it does not consist of just one age group.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if has lasted for 53 years, it should stay
  • Options
    PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should also replace the cat in the titles with a Renault Clio with neons bombing it down the street playing Ice Cooler or whoever is the latest rapper, and they should ditch the classic font and just have a graffiti artist do a "Coronation Street" stencil.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should also replace the cat in the titles with a Renault Clio with neons bombing it down the street playing Ice Cooler or whoever is the latest rapper, and they should ditch the classic font and just have a graffiti artist do a "Coronation Street" stencil.

And change the title to Coro St. Because the term 'coronation' implies establishment.
  • Options
    Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    And change the title to Coro St. Because the term 'coronation' implies establishment.

Disagree, it's fine how it is. ^_^ Plus it's the actual street name, so it can't be meddled with.