Options

Little Mix Discussion Thread (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    4troy74troy7 Posts: 8,925
    Forum Member
    I'm happy but suprised that Salute is still top 5 on iTunes :D I think it will defintley get a top 10 position now on Sunday ! :D
    Yes hopefully it can hold to 5 for a few more days as 5/6th peak would be great .
  • Options
    TheKnewbiesTheKnewbies Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    old mixer wrote: »
    This... My first thought when Little Me was proposed as single #2, was that the girls had wasted a huge opportunity to establish a broader / older fanbase..... Imo, this release was/is a big step backwards.....I keep reading comments which suggest LM are seen as a kiddies' group - This is very disappointing as we all know they are better than that....
    As for "Dark Horse" and other's of it's like....I agree with your post It sells.....
    The greater public aren't generally interested in "empowerment messages", no matter how significant... they want tunes or something that appeals to their inner vanity (or demons) ---- something to get them going;-):p

My thoughts at the time. But seeing the response Little Me ( and CYL ) got in the arenas which were 70% pre-teen it seems a suicidal decision had they not released it. They must bring their core fanbase with them! A tandem approach is what they are doing and it seems to be working. Move & Salute to grow and Little me to maintain.

BGT can't have had that much effect on sales surely? I expected a peak post show with a fairly rapid decline before leveling out. It must mean the public had just not heard it at all before BGT. So all these sales can be attributed to new listeners. I'm sure the fanbase buyers had already been exhausted. Says a lot about their ( lack of ) marketing strategy for the song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4troy7 wrote: »
    I think the video is fine I just think a lot of people either don't like the song or Cheryl herself she seems to get quite a hard time on forums .

The song sucks. end of
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Nissl wrote: »
    Whoa, talk about pressure to post well!

If there's one quick & easy change I'd love communicate back to Jade that I can absolutely guarantee would help them, it's to stop trashing "feminism" in their interviews and just say "we don't hate men, we love men!" which is what they are trying to get across. They are stuck on an old stereotype of feminism, and I can tell you from watching their Twitter feed that it is really not doing them any favors with a pretty big segment of potential fans who otherwise should resonate with their empowerment message.

I know what you mean. I do think management has a lot of input into what they say and tweet, to be fair. Lots of stars have people to tweet for them on message, as you probably know. Jade's got a mind of her own though!
  • Options
    DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To echo others I'm also delighted that it's stayed Top 5, fingers crossed it gets the Top 10 spot I thought it should. There are obviously non-fans who will buy Little Mix music as they did with Move. I hope the Today Show performance wins them some radioplay / Youtube hits.

I thought the Salute promo in the UK was good. Their interview on Radio 1 was cute and they got #Salute trending quite a few times. They could have popped up on a daytime TV chatshow but there's not much new for them to say since the Word Up This Morning appearance. I do think they missed a trick about the theme of the song - they could have done a lot about women being warriors in terms of overcoming difficulty, for example bullying, single motherhood, cancer. Not that they should try to jump onto an issue just for promo, only if it felt genuine. I agree about educating the girls about feminism, they could have done some nice interviews about it linked to the Salute theme.

The boost from BGT emphasises to me how important the link with SyCo is. If they do move labels there will need to be some (lets face it financial) motivation for Simon Cowell to have them on the show. I don't think it'll be long before they have a serious girl group competitor for an X Factor slot - Neon Jungle is already rising. I'm not sure if Fifth Harmony will be popular in the UK. There are also new boybands coming up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ella confirmed #2 in Ireland on pre-orders. Good for her!
    ( radio interview spin sw )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jctc wrote: »
    I know what you mean. I do think management has a lot of input into what they say and tweet, to be fair. Lots of stars have people to tweet for them on message, as you probably know. Jade's got a mind of her own though!

To avoid a James Arthur implosion no doubt. Perrie made me laugh when she said "I just say nothing cos I'll get into trouble"
  • Options
    casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salute is now going negative on updates slowly, but it still looks good to remain top 10.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jade. :D

http://instagram.com/p/pDmI_OOGa1/

The morning after the night before... #salutetour #afterparty #cantbelieveitsover #idontfeelverywell #ididntchoosethethuglife #itchoseme #parkalife #ilovemyparka #myparkalovesme #parkafriends #getmetobed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tues. Update

1 Ella Henderson - Ghost (64k) *
    2 Ed Sheeran - Sing (22.8k)
    3 Tiësto feat. Matthew Koma - Wasted (22.3k) *
    4 Sam Smith - Stay With Me (13.8k)
    5 Little Mix - Salute (11.8k)

30 Little Mix - Salute

The song is falling on iTunes now. I think it will chart between #7 - #10.
  • Options
    Holte139Holte139 Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Actually, I think I said I'm not in Marketing. In fact they are The Undead to me. :D I am an artist at AnonyMouse ;-) Big Entertainment company cross town to Sony. Nothing to do with the recording industry though.

Oh I'm sorry, I must have got my wires crossed! I hate you disappoint you but I'm 'in training' (so to speak) to become a PR person! :D
    As far as the song Salute, I always thought it was very catchy and had segments that were easy to repeat like the AttenSHUN. A lot of times with RnB songs its a more complicated structure that isnt exactly hummable. I also dont agree with the sentiment that half the population would be put off when I see Hip Hop and Rap being very misogynistic and yet it sells. And people are voting with their wallets if they shot Salute up to #5 on iTunes. I like the campaign for this particular song because they've done just about everything right, its been effortless and its obviously yielding results.

I'm still not really keen on Salute as a song, there's so many good songs on the album and I just don't feel like Salute is one of the best. Perhaps they felt like it could be their empowerment anthem, but like I said in my previous post, I feel that the song's commercial performance up until BGT proves that the public were quite cynical about that message coming from a Cowell-run girl group.

I feel annoyed with myself now though that I didn't go to the tour. At the time I felt like it wouldn't really be worth it seeing as I didn't really like DNA as a body of work and I thought to myself 'why buy tickets for something when you''re not going to like 50% of the material?' But the reviews were so good that I feel like I've missed out now. Depending on when the next tour is, if the album/s that precede it are more like Salute than DNA I'll definitely get tickets, my mind is made up already!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the guys are making maybe too much of a deal about the empowerment thing. What most people respond to is a catchy tune. I dont think the BGT surge was due to hordes of emancipated women buying.
  • Options
    AshleyRoseXAshleyRoseX Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The girls are going to be so tired.

They leave for America tomorrow.
  • Options
    AshleyRoseXAshleyRoseX Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tues. Update

1 Ella Henderson - Ghost (64k) *
    2 Ed Sheeran - Sing (22.8k)
    3 Tiësto feat. Matthew Koma - Wasted (22.3k) *
    4 Sam Smith - Stay With Me (13.8k)
    5 Little Mix - Salute (11.8k)

30 Little Mix - Salute

The song is falling on iTunes now. I think it will chart between #7 - #10.

All hail CasualViewer. You promised a hit and a Top 10 single, is just that.

Tim_A where are you?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Tim_A where are you?

The outstanding BGT performance has certainly given it a wave of momentum I didn't think it'd pick up. I have to say though, glancing down the top 10 and seeing Jason Derulo's 'Wiggle' song sitting pretty a few places down takes a bit of gloss off it, for the love of god they have to stay above that :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the guys are making maybe too much of a deal about the empowerment thing. What most people respond to is a catchy tune. I dont think the BGT surge was due to hordes of emancipated women buying.

I really wanted them to do it for promo. They're obviously not aiming for Spice Girls 'Girl Power' level but it's a way of positioning the group in the media as having something to say. I was surprised when I listened to Salute that there was such a strong theme running through it, and impressed when I learned the girls had co-written tracks. I worked in marketing so always interested in quick wins and long-term branding. But you're right that what gets sales is radio play etc. I hope Salute catches on a bit in the US if the radio stations they are doing the shows for playlist it.

Do you know how many songs they will be performing on The Today Show?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Actually I forecast top 20 and a long chart run. I did say if it went higher it would peak after release week at 7-10. I just thought the song had more than just fanbase appeal so could hang around longer than previous singles.

Also, the song stopped falling and is leveling out. Looks like its still #5 for today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tim_A where are you?

I predicted Top 10 and with BGT close to 5 :cool: A performance like that really brought it to life, and BGT has a slightly different audience to X Factor which is great for getting more people to know them.

Wondering when they'll announce their Japan shows.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Jade. :D

http://instagram.com/p/pDmI_OOGa1/

The morning after the night before... #salutetour #afterparty #cantbelieveitsover #idontfeelverywell #ididntchoosethethuglife #itchoseme #parkalife #ilovemyparka #myparkalovesme #parkafriends #getmetobed
    That was pretty great. I loved the end of tour shot as well. Talk about selling the dream....
    http://instagram.com/p/pDf08sOGWh/
  • Options
    old mixerold mixer Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Review of Belfast show:-
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/news/review-x-factor-winners-become-the-new-faces-of-girl-power-30340873.html
    The dance moves and costume changes came thick and fast, but what was most impressive was that the girls not only appeared to be singing live throughout, but had powerful voices into the bargain.
  • Options
    davem1234davem1234 Posts: 5,451
    Forum Member
    the girls are on capital breakfast show tomorrow, might be per recorded
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salute is now going negative on updates slowly, but it still looks good to remain top 10.

Damn song made a liar out of me. Look at that filly go now.

5 Little Mix - Salute 0.2405 0.2325 0.2306 0.2297 0.2292 <-- 7 hrs ago
  • Options
    kieranyeah123kieranyeah123 Posts: 1,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have loved for them to have done a shot of themselves infront of the crowd at the O2 like this

http://blog-imgs-30-origin.fc2.com/k/s/w/kswcd/071220spicegirls.jpg

Would be cool to have that to look back on.

I hope they do Salute and Move on The Today Show but they usually do a ballad as well right?
  • Options
    EpicEastendersEpicEastenders Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have loved for them to have done a shot of themselves infront of the crowd at the O2 like this

Would be cool to have that to look back on.

I hope they do Salute and Move on The Today Show but they usually do a ballad as well right?

They normally get 3 songs.

My bet is Salute, Move & Wings - and in that order.
  • Options
    old mixerold mixer Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Page not found. :p
This discussion has been closed.