BBC3 - Murdered by my boyfriend

Comments

• JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just read that the little girl walked in to the bedroom FOUR TIMES while he was attacking her - the things that poor little girl would have seen it's so upsetting :(

Also, no doubt as she's grows up she'll blame herself a bit for not stopping it.
  • LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can the person tell the story if they have been murdered? That doesnt really make sense.

No I didnt watch it because for one thing it would irritate the hell out of me so I didnt bother.

I'm watching it atm and I'm seeing it as a sort of flashback. ie her life passing before her eyes as she dies.
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Just watched on catch up.

:o:o:o
    Very well written and well acted especially by the lead characters, really very disturbing and harrowing to watch and I never expected that last scene with the ironing board, an everyday household item that most people own, i'll never look at mine in the same way again!

It's great that this film is being shown in schools so that awareness can be raised.

Poor girl she had everything to live for and a bright future, great friends but was totally blinded by love and I can say it really moved and affected me!

:cry::cry::(:(
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's an update on the original case regarding police failures.
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2011/oct/18/police-failed-mother-beaten-death-casey-brittle
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it and was deeply moved by it
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,547
    Forum Member
    I just read that the little girl walked in to the bedroom FOUR TIMES while he was attacking her - the things that poor little girl would have seen it's so upsetting :(

That is awful :( poor little mite.

I didn't realize it was a true story till the ending.

Very hard to watch but very well acted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    I've just watched..so sad..very well acted (wonder how much it affected the cast and crew)

I really hope her little girl is ok and her dad never finds her (I don't often feel like that!)
  • chrishartxxchrishartxx Posts: 318
    Forum Member

At that age, they usually don't remember what happened when they grow up.
  • cleo petracleo petra Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pinkwafer wrote: »
    They should show this in schools. I thought it was really well done.

Definitely should be shown in schools.

The wearing down of her resistance and the hold he had over her was powerfully shown. Absolutely tragic.

I can't believe the evil bastard only got his sentence increased to 20 years. What is that, out in 12 with good behaviour? I hope he goes through hell on earth in prison. Put him down I say, he has no right to breathe air.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree its good to be discussed in schools but I know I felt uncomfortable being made to watch certain films. Sensitive people could be quite disturbed by it. I think maybe it'd be a good idea to show a film like that if its interrupted at key moments and pupils are encouraged to discuss things, like 'whats wrong with what he just said?' or 'what clues have we just witnessed that hint at abuse?' perhaps? I'd rather the end scenes be censored, if younger teens are to see it, maybe but thats just me :-/
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Between this and the Glastonbury coverage the decision to get rid of BBC Three seems even more nonsensical.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only managed 20 minutes of this supremely well acted and well produced programme.
    I used to counsel battered wives and, to be honest, it brought up some painful memories of women who had been to hell and back.
    You'd spend hours arranging a safe place, helping them with making a prosecution case, only to hear at the 11th hour that she'd decided to go back to him. The immediate days following a women escaping are the most dangerous in terms of their abuser killing/injuring them. It's so hard for them to do, The future is scary and deep down the battered wife still loves the man who beats her up. They are still in thrall of the man they thought they first fell in love with.
    Most had had every scrap of self esteem and self worth beaten out of them, but it was so frustrating and upsetting.

Please let it be shown in every single classroom/youth centre in the country. :cry:
  • skiprunnerskiprunner Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    Just watched this...having been a victim of DV,
    This was very very hard to watch.
    I am SO glad I got out and stayed out of the destructive relationship, perhaps made easier as we had no kids (thankfully)

Brilliant acting from all
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,318
    Forum Member
    I watched this the other night on demand after my daughter going on about it.
    I wasn't shocked because I know this sort of shit goes on, more often than we hear of. As viewers have already said, the main title gives it away what the programme is about, to reel in the audience and sort of warns you what you are about to watch.
    These sort of programmes need showing, unfortunately whatever the subject bullying,violence, drugs, alcohol e.t.c, people need to see what the outcome can be, given their own personal choices in life.
  • D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cleo petra wrote: »
    Definitely should be shown in schools.

The wearing down of her resistance and the hold he had over her was powerfully shown. Absolutely tragic.

I can't believe the evil bastard only got his sentence increased to 20 years. What is that, out in 12 with good behaviour? I hope he goes through hell on earth in prison. Put him down I say, he has no right to breathe air.

No he got life but will be out in 20 if behaved well. I think he should stay in prison for life.

So powerful and moving! Never has a TV show got to me like this, I think because it's based in real events that's why it has such an impact.

My heart broke for the little girl. Usually children will remember things like that, Ben though she was very young that will probably stay with her.

:(
  • Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this and it was very harrowing. But where was her mother and her family? Why wasnt he put away when he walked into her work and head butted her in front of many witnesses. The most awful thing was when he stopped his attack on her to attend to their daughter only to return and hit her with the ironing board. Hope he rots.
  • RandomArbiterRandomArbiter Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Sorry to be so blunt, but her friends and family let her down massively. The first sign of violence, you don't try to convince her to leave him. You go to the police and tell everything to them. It is obvious that she was suffering from Stockholm Syndrome thus her mind was biased towards him. Therefore it is up to you, the friend/family to take charge.

There were so many opportunities here to fix the problem - had the police known about him, there would have been a restraining order, and if he broke it, he would have been arrested long before even the shop attack.

Although where was the police after the shop incident? A clear, public occurence of violence with 3 witnesses. He should have been arrested right then.
  • RandomArbiterRandomArbiter Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    IzzyS wrote: »
    I'd rather the end scenes be censored, if younger teens are to see it, maybe but thats just me :-/

Yes, because real life affords that luxury.
  • CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to be so blunt, but her friends and family let her down massively. The first sign of violence, you don't try to convince her to leave him. You go to the police and tell everything to them. It is obvious that she was suffering from Stockholm Syndrome thus her mind was biased towards him. Therefore it is up to you, the friend/family to take charge.

There were so many opportunities here to fix the problem - had the police known about him, there would have been a restraining order, and if he broke it, he would have been arrested long before even the shop attack.

Although where was the police after the shop incident? A clear, public occurence of violence with 3 witnesses. He should have been arrested right then.

Erm the police DID know and failed her on many occasions as seen in the drama and in the news article. She kept ringing them when she'd left him and he was going to the house etc :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to be so blunt, but her friends and family let her down massively. The first sign of violence, you don't try to convince her to leave him. You go to the police and tell everything to them

I wouldnt. Had it been my sister who he had done this to I would of just gone up to him and put him in hospital. He wouldnt think twice about messing with the family.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused: But the Nottingham Police were found negligent by the PCC for ignoring all requests from Casey, her family and friends.
    How can you say she was massively let down by them when they did report it and the Police did sod all? I cant remember if it was 10 or 18 times they fobbed off complaints and incidents. Tragically the police had done the same to another victim before Casey.
    I get so angry with the glib "something must be done/this must not happen again" mentality of the authorities.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldnt. Had it been my sister who he had done this to I would of just gone up to him and put him in hospital. He wouldnt think twice about messing with the family.

Glad its not just me thinking this way then.

My daughter has older brothers and a Father that is made of concrete!!!!! Any man/woman who might have controlling ideas towards her will have us all at their door. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    After hearing a lot about this short film when it was televised in June, I had been planning to watch it on catch up but stumbled across it when it has just began yesterday.
    I had goosebumps from the minute it started as i obviously knew the outcome.
    I am so horrified at the amount of mental and physical abuse that beautful girl has had to endure. From having to constantly sent photographs of who she was with and where she was to him mentally trying to make her think she was loosing the plot and digging at her weight. I felt every emotion and could really see how much her friends wanted her to leave him and how much of an emotional battle Ashley had to ensure herself.

This should be shown in schools and in work places. Both actors was phenomental
  • QuickbloodQuickblood Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I genuinely don't understand how it's possible to be beaten like that and go back, it doesn't matter how it's explained to me it doesn't click.
    Still I've always wondered how the Police can save these women when they put themselves back in the firing line, I assume they must have some tools to protect women who won't accept help?
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quickblood wrote: »
    I genuinely don't understand how it's possible to be beaten like that and go back, it doesn't matter how it's explained to me it doesn't click.
    Still I've always wondered how the Police can save these women when they put themselves back in the firing line, I assume they must have some tools to protect women who won't accept help?

"But I love him."

One hit and OUT, should be the rule for relationships.