Film 'stars' you thought were going to be massive, and really weren't

Comments

• shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gort wrote: »
    He's certainly a big name actor. The thing is that he tends to choose non-mainstream films, so might not be on the radar of your average superhero film watcher. However, he's certainly known and considered a big draw once you go beyond that type of fare. I suppose the word "star" or "massive" might not apply to him, but he's a very respected big name actor.

He was brilliant in carlitos way. Stole the show from Pacino in some scenes
  • BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    I agree. I can't remember him being in anything other The Gemini Man TV series.

I thought he could have played Ryan O'Neal's even better looking twin brother :D
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Brittany Snow would be really big after a string of random teen movies from 2005-2008, but alas she's not. Still a really underrated actress though, you should watch 'Would You Rather?'
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Yep, and for some reason she reminds me of Gillian Anderson.
    She's an actress who never hit it with movies. Still going strong in TV drama though.

They are incredibly similar, I remember when I first watched x-files I thought, oh that's the woman from Candyland, didn't have IMDB then to check and see that I was wrong.

Yes she was pretty big back then. I mentioned her earlier in the thread too.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably mentioned before but the recent attempts by the studios to make big stars of Sam Worthington and Taylor Kitsch simply haven't worked.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    It never quite happened for Joseph Fiennes after Shakespeare in Love, did it.

Last thing I saw him in was the TV show FlashForward, which was shocking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It never quite happened for Joseph Fiennes after Shakespeare in Love, did it.

Last thing I saw him in was the TV show FlashForward, which was shocking.

Was thinking the same thing last night after hearing him narrate a programme. Has he ever worked with his brother on screen?
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Was thinking the same thing last night after hearing him narrate a programme. Has he ever worked with his brother on screen?

Joseph Fiennes was in American Horror story: Asylum. I really cannot stand his brother. Appalling actor (IMO)
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw The Stand, a TV mini series I think, and immediately thought that the man who played Nick Andros would be the next Robert Redford. His name was Rob Lowe and although he is well known, he is not as successful as I expected.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vin Diesel, I thought he would be huge after seeing the original pitch black but aside from being part of the ensemble cast of fast and furious films he's not a draw at the box office.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Helen Slater.
    Virginia Madsen (at least until she openly admitted she took a step down)
    Angela Bassett.
    Elias Koteas.
    Brad Renfro.
    Howard Rollins (excels in Ragtime and A Soldier's Story, but his cast member Denzel Washington went on to become a superstar instead. Rollins is one of those who burn brightest and fastest, and die soonest).

Angela Bassett? You kidding? She has just been in American Horror Story and has been in lots of films!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Mrs Jones wrote: »
    Angela Bassett? You kidding? She has just been in American Horror Story and has been in lots of films!
    Plenty of people have been in TV series and lots of films
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leelee Sobieski
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Jones wrote: »

As a character actor, yes.

During the 1990s, she was on her way to becoming an international film star, but it just fell apart. One moment, she was everywhere in the media and the next, she disappeared. Her film-star career nosedived as well. No one knows why, but it's generally agreed that the industry didn't quite know what to do with her, which may be a contribution to the collapse. Her age may be another factor.

I think she'd purposely sabotaged her chances of becoming a leading film star because she was more drawn to roles she could sink her teeth in. She turned down quite a few significant major roles (the only one made into news is Monster's Ball) to go after the roles she wanted. Unfortunately, this was during the era of action films, teen films and slapstick comedy films. There weren't many richly-layered dramatic roles for female actors to go round. Even fewer for black actors. A case of being born into the wrong era, I'd say. I think she would be right at the top if she was in her 20s today.

It's all a speculation, really. Since then, she did pretty much nothing but secondary or small roles, usually as a wife, doctor, headteacher and boss, which often frustrated me as she's undeniably talented, like Lynn Whitfield, Adrienne Shelly (RIP), Annabeth Gish and the rest of the 1990s crowd. Looking on the bright side, having a TV career isn't a blot on an actor's career nowadays, so it's all good. Hope this clarification helps.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hayden Christensen

Despite being generally bad in the Star Wars films, I never predicted somebody could go from being a main character in one of the largest franchises ever to... whatever he does now...

Id have mentioned this one. Funny how his career has mirrored Mark Hamil's. And like Hamil he's a pretty godawful actor
  • Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has Matt Dillon really been as big as he could have?

Good example of a 'name' with an erratic filmography
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has Matt Dillon really been as big as he could have?

Yes
    Good example of a 'name' with an erratic filmography

Good example of a talented versatile actor.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guy Pearce
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has Matt Dillon really been as big as he could have? Good example of a 'name' with an erratic filmography.

Heh. He was on almost every teenager's bedroom wall for at least a decade and half.

He does deserve the credit for giving every type of role a try. Even did a musical film, for goodness sake. Grace of My Heart. With the fantastic Illeana Douglas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Id have mentioned this one. Funny how his career has mirrored Mark Hamil's. And like Hamil he's a pretty godawful actor

Mark Hamill did at least one good non star wars film in The Big Red One.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Mark Hamill did at least one good non star wars film in The Big Red One.

Mark Hamill is widely celebrated for playing The Joker and other animation voice work over the years. It's certainly not put him anywhere near the "massive" status, but he's by no means faded into obscurity as some seem to think.
  • iammeiamme Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    Geena Davis was in an episode of Will & Grace i watched yesterday and made me look up what things she's been in and noticed after Thelma & Louise she hasn't really been in much or anything noteworthy.
  • Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brad Renfro was a damn shame as he had a lot of potential. Jan-Michael Vincent could've been a Harrison Ford/Richard Gere type actor had he not had issues with alcohol/substance abuse, like Renfro had too.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never thought that he'd be a huge star but I saw Joseph Bologna in an episode of CSI the other night. He was really good in a few films in the early eighties and then disappeared.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly already mentioned, but Tony Jaa was touted as the next Bruce Lee after Ong Bak and Warrior King but his career stalled afterwards.