Options

Ex Radio 1 DJ and TV presenter Mike Smith has died aged 59

13»

Comments

• Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noel Edmonds, who virtually mentored Smith and had him as a sidekick in the Late Late Breakfast Show, has made a statement:
    'I am totally stunned and heartbroken for Sarah and his family.

'Mike introduced me to motor racing and I introduced him to radio.

'He was so much more than simply a presenter. Mike was that rare individual - the consummate broadcaster in an era when professionalism, dedication and hard work were truly valued.

'I am typing this through the tears. I wish I had told him more forcefully and frequently how much I admired his talent and valued his support.'

Can't help but think Edmonds would have found it easier to do the latter if he hadn't distanced himself from Smith in order to disassociate himself from Michael Lush's death on the Late Late Breakfast Show and salvage his TV career.

In fact, I remember Smith being interviewed on that BBC 'History Of Light Entertainment' series a few years ago, where he said what a great show he thought Deal Or No Deal was and added "if I still had [Noel]'s number I would have called him up and told him".
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daylight wrote: »
    What a clownshoe. Show some respect. Saying lol is bad enough at any time but saying it on a death thread is so thoughtless.

I have am sure the poster did not mean the {lol } at Mike Smiths sad death.

But rather as an "Anecdote" that they remember well,with no dis-respect meant.

People have different ways of remembering celebrities lets just celebrate his life rather then denigrate a poster.:)

Condolences to his wife and close friends RIP Mike.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I have am sure the poster did not mean the {lol } at Mike Smiths sad death.

But rather as an "Anecdote" that they remember well,with no dis-respect meant.

People have different ways of remembering celebrities lets just celebrate his life rather then denigrate a poster.:)

Condolences to his wife and close friends RIP Mike.

I hate disrespect and 'gallows humour' jokes in R.I.P. threads, but I never got that from Steve's comment, rather, as you say, it was his way of remembering Mike by relating a little comical tale.
  • Options
    Leanne_Blake1Leanne_Blake1 Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad news. As someone who grew up in the 80's used to see him on tv all the time, what a shame. 😢
  • Options
    bigbrotherwafabigbrotherwafa Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rip in peace
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh how sad - too many these last few weeks, Rik Mayall just about floored me, Kenny Ireland & now Mike Smith - He was the voice of 80s radio and I vividly remember him and Sarah being interviewed on crutches after that helicopter crash. Very, very sad & thoughts are with Sarah & Mike's family. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Sad news. I feel so sorry for Sarah, she must be devastated RIP Mike Smith. :(
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    The notorious Ghostwatch - RIP Mike Smith.

That was Halloween, I remember being at my nan's bedside in hospital and they had it on the telly. I was 19 and it freaked me out. Later I found out it was a load of boll***s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb1aH8Uaztc

I never even realised he was as old as he was. I always thought he was no older than 40. Not really, of course, but in your head if you know what I mean?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PaleHorse wrote: »
    This is really eerie for me because I was watching my DVD of Ghostwatch today, and had a weird thought on how creepy it would be if, after I'd finished the film, I suddenly heard Michael Parkinson had died. And now, only a few hours later, I hear that Mike Smith (who also happened to star in Ghostwatch) has sadly died. It's a real shame but also really creepy for me.

RIP to the man.

Christ that is spooky
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Lol I remember Cheggers tried to knock on his door for Big Breakfast and he got upset and complained and channel 4 said "we are sorry Mike doesn't have a sense of humour".

I remember that.
  • Options
    milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Lol I remember Cheggers tried to knock on his door for Big Breakfast and he got upset and complained and channel 4 said "we are sorry Mike doesn't have a sense of humour".

I think he had got out of the public eye by then and didn't like being put on tv.
    Mike Smith when through a very bad time with that helicopter crash, he broke his back and was lucky to survive. He was never back to his public persona after that.
    He also had a hard time with the Michael Lush incident, I remember not long afterwards he was on one of those shows that sets up celebs and he was really, really, shaken when he thought someone might have been hurt. Then that accident and the recovery which must have been long and hard. He and Sarah have endured a great deal and mostly without publicity or ever selling their marriage to the media.
    I used to watch anything he did, I loved him on Radio One too and I remember him sticking his neck out, and telling this Radio One Controller that women could be very good DJ's, the Controller of that time was really dismissive of the idea.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a little bit sad that the sun on Sunday have pushed Mike Smith passing to page 15 this morning with Kerry Katona on front. I think Mike career was more interesting than reading about her self pity.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,198
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    I'm a little bit sad that the sun on Sunday have pushed Mike Smith passing to page 15 this morning with Kerry Katona on front. I think Mike career was more interesting than reading about her self pity.

That is typical of todays media. I didn't see any mention of the death of the Legendary Dora Bryan on any of the TV channels, yet zelebrity Peaches Geldoff's inquest results was considered the most important news of the day. :(
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is typical of todays media. I didn't see any mention of the death of the Legendary Dora Bryan on any of the TV channels, yet zelebrity Peaches Geldoff's inquest results was considered the most important news of the day. :(

Most of the country knew the result anyway.
  • Options
    Von TrappVon Trapp Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    In those days you got on TV and radio by damn hard work and talent. There has been much love for Mike since the news broke, goes to show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this on my facebook wall and let out a gasp. Growing up, Mike Smith was a great DJ and presenter, so it'sa shock. He and Sarah always seemed a great couple, she must be devastated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BTW: Who in their right mind would be happy to have Keith Chegwin and a camera crew knocking on their front door in the morning? Having anyone knocking on the front door can be startling early in the morning, unless it is the postman. I am amazed more people didn't tell Cheggers to Naff Off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Wasn't it the Family actor that told Cheggers to go away, don't think it's Mike Smith. Yeah I agree with the above and also PRIVACY! It's not about not having a sense of humour, it's about wanting privacy. Not all celebs are desperate for attention.

Sad loss.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it definitely was Mike Smith's door that Keith Chegwin knocked on. I remember watching it happen live, I think because they knew him Cheggers assumed they'd be up for it but Mike told him to go away and slammed the door in his face.

Anyway Rip. 59 isn't an age at all:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it definitely was Mike Smith's door that Keith Chegwin knocked on. I remember watching it happen live, I think because they knew him Cheggers assumed they'd be up for it but Mike told him to go away and slammed the door in his face.

Anyway Rip. 59 isn't an age at all:(

Maybe Cheggers thought that as they had both worked with Noel, that they could be pals. Mike Smith was changed by that accident, which is why he withdraw from the public eye, it was his right to do so and maybe it is why his marriage to Sarah lasted, where others had failed.
    Imagine the sheer joy of slamming the door in Cheggers face, live on tv..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Bless him,i loved him and Sarah Greene,another favourite from my childhood gone XXX
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its very sad news - RIP Mike
  • Options
    Brucie BonusBrucie Bonus Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    Very sad to hear of the death of Mike Smith. I read Noel Edmund's tribute. Maybe Noel will regret not making up with Mike.
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    milliejo wrote: »
    Maybe Cheggers thought that as they had both worked with Noel, that they could be pals. Mike Smith was changed by that accident, which is why he withdraw from the public eye, it was his right to do so and maybe it is why his marriage to Sarah lasted, where others had failed.
    Imagine the sheer joy of slamming the door in Cheggers face, live on tv..

I wish to add my condolences to Sarah and all who knew him - I was a fan.

However, I notice 'milliejo' implies that the helicopter crash was the beginning of the end of his TV career. That wasn't really so. He had a sense of perspective after that and realised there was more to live than being on TV, but he did PLENTY of TV work well into the 1990s, and was his usual bright and breezy self throughout. He presented 'That's Showbusiness' until 1996, eight years after the helicopter crash.

Indeed, he was hardly put off helicopters by it - he did very nicely hiring out helicopters to news crews in more recent times.

A sad loss and he'll be much missed. RIP.