Bird lover threatens drastic action over cats in his garden

1171819202123»

Comments

• Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    What is theroetically put forward on here, and what is reality, are two quite different things.

The vast majority of cats in this country are let out to roam, as is evidenced by the number one sees around any area on any given day or night. Most cats, especially neutered females, don't go very far from home anyway. Very few people - in reality - complain. Most are too busy with their lives to even notice if a cat comes into their garden - this is normal, widespread behaviour. Only a few people get annoyed and make plots or complain. Most of the time it won't even be noticed because it will be night.

You might get the odd loony who will do what a poster described earlier in the thread, and deliberately entice cats in so they can trap them, then drive them out to some remote wooded area, and let them go - this is weird and criminal behaviour folks. Only a few nutters, without much else going on in their lives, will form such an odd fixation and carry it through.

Mine will only go into next door's garden occasionally at night. Most of the time she's on my territory, usually on the shed or garage roof, or the guy next door's caravan roof. Fortunately, he's quite sane and doesn't have screaming apoplexy as soon as he sees her on his caravan roof. He's also not out there digging his garden every two minutes, so I very much doubt whether he would notice or indeed care even if she had shit in his flower bed, or on his (in this case mythical) prize marrows.

She also comes back in to use the litter tray.

This is reality, people - only a few weirdos plot or complain about cats. Most don't notice them.

:confused: Do you always base everything on what happens in your own very small world

It dont happen to you so it dont happen.

Ive only seen two cats in the village I live in I still realise that in other places where cats are not so rare they might still be driving others up the wall.

I would rather acknowledge someone's complaint than dismiss it, as a lot of cat owners on here seem to do, and thus imo forcing others to maybe take drastic action. When I do get another cat it will once again be a very happy indoor one.

What you and a few others dont seem to get is its not unusual for cat owners these days to have many cats. so for their neighbours the problems can be many.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused: Do you always base everything on what happens in your own very small world

It dont happen to you so it dont happen.

Ive only seen two cats in the village I live in I still realise that in other places where cats are not so rare they might still be driving others up the wall.

I would rather acknowledge someone's complaint than dismiss it, as a lot of cat owners on here seem to do, and thus imo forcing others to maybe take drastic action. When I do get another cat it will once again be a very happy indoor one.

What you and a few others dont seem to get is its not unusual for cat owners these days to have many cats. so for their neighbours the problems can be many.

It's not my own small world. It's what happens everywhere.

Even the BBC programme about the secret life of the cat in that Surrey village, Shamley Green, proved that.

Actually, it is quite unusual for a given owner to have many cats.

Most people don't get worked up about cats in their garden.
  • Options
    MileymooMileymoo Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    The day my cats become housecats, is the day dogs become house house dogs. So I never have to see them or hear them, and be able to go for a lovely walk without seeing dog shit everywhere. You see more dog shit than cat shit on a daily basis. Dogs can be trained to use litter trays just as well.

Unfortunately it's cruel to keep dogs in those conditions as they need exercise and stimulation, as do cats.
  • Options
    Ninja_NathanNinja_Nathan Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Two of mine are working cats, so there's no way they'll be staying in the house. Of the other two, one is always on the prowl around the area doing what cats do and the other one is just a lazy git who prefers to spend his days just lying about the house doing as little as is feasibly possible, with the exception of eating.

Say what now?
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not my own small world. It's what happens everywhere.

Even the BBC programme about the secret life of the cat in that Surrey village, Shamley Green, proved that.

Actually, it is quite unusual for a given owner to have many cats.

Most people don't get worked up about cats in their garden.

It's not unusual at all for people to have several cats. The woman across the road has five, her neighbour has three and next door had two until they moved. Cats seem to have their preferred routes so since the 2 next door moved we have not had much problem, thank goodness. The ones across the road seem to wander in the opposite direction.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    It's not unusual at all for people to have several cats. The woman across the road has five, her neighbour has three and next door had two until they moved. Cats seem to have their preferred routes so since the 2 next door moved we have not had much problem, thank goodness. The ones across the road seem to wander in the opposite direction.

Most just have the one cat. You're talking exceptions.
  • Options
    DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cats (domestic) are one of the top threat to wildlife in the US:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21236690
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like dogs, but I cannot stand the constant yapping of three of our neighbours dogs, the terrier across the road and the other one a bit further along. They just do not stop, there is more dog shite than cat shite on the roads, beach and parks.

I have a cat, it goes out, not that often, it has a spot it goes in in our garden, can't guarantee it doesn't in anyone elses, I hope not, but perhaps does. I understand it is horrible if you haven't a cat yourself, but there are plenty things I put up with living around other people. Constant dogs barking on either side and jumping at the fence is a complete pain in the arse, but it's their family pet, so I put up with it, they can put up with my cat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    I like dogs, but I cannot stand the constant yapping of three of our neighbours dogs, the terrier across the road and the other one a bit further along. They just do not stop, there is more dog shite than cat shite on the roads, beach and parks.

I have a cat, it goes out, not that often, it has a spot it goes in in our garden, can't guarantee it doesn't in anyone elses, I hope not, but perhaps does. I understand it is horrible if you haven't a cat yourself, but there are plenty things I put up with living around other people. Constant dogs barking on either side and jumping at the fence is a complete pain in the arse, but it's their family pet, so I put up with it, they can put up with my cat.

^^^^

This.

I'd sooner see any number of cats than have noisy dogs barking constantly.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most just have the one cat. You're talking exceptions.

We have one, the neighbour across the road has one but next-door-but one has two, another neighbour has two ( brothers ) and a lady round the corner has four.

Luckily, ours is 18 years old now and hasn't caught birds for years, apparently it's young cats that are the worst.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Say what now?

Two are mousers. We keep fowl too so mice, and to some extent rats, can be a problem if you don't keep them controlled.
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    Mileymoo wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's cruel to keep dogs in those conditions as they need exercise and stimulation, as do cats.

Are you really comparing cats to dogs as if they are similar? I assumed you were a cat owner but you obviously have never noticed cat behaviour because you seem to be under the impression that they need to go for a run to exercise rather than the short bursts of energy which dont require access to a field or outdoors which cats have
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    Cats (domestic) are one of the top threat to wildlife in the US:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21236690

It was certainly cats that saw off the passenger pigeon and damn near did for the bison.
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,932
    Forum Member
    ^^^^

This.

It's true.

Idiot dog owners allowing their dogs to bark outside endlessly all day, without doing a thing about it, are on a whole other level of annoyance - compared to the odd cat doing its business in the flower bed or chasing a bird.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

I've yet to be bitten by someone else's cat. I can't say that about dogs. One tried to bite me the other day when the idiot owner decided to tie the dog right by the shop entrance, when there is a lamp post out of the way literally 2 metres away. So, after having my ankle nipped, I said to the owner inside the shop 'if your dog had bitten me properly, I'd have it put down' and in today's climate I'd consider suing the owner. Some people need these basic things explained, e.g. you can't leave a dog blocking the entrance into a shop.
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Two are mousers. We keep fowl too so mice, and to some extent rats, can be a problem if you don't keep them controlled.

I don't know why you call them working cats. Most cats kill mice, even if they scoff their favourite tinned pet food. Eating mice and rats is just being 'normal' for a cat.
    What is theroetically put forward on here, and what is reality, are two quite different things.

The vast majority of cats in this country are let out to roam, as is evidenced by the number one sees around any area on any given day or night. Most cats, especially neutered females, don't go very far from home anyway. Very few people - in reality - complain. Most are too busy with their lives to even notice if a cat comes into their garden - this is normal, widespread behaviour. Only a few people get annoyed and make plots or complain. Most of the time it won't even be noticed because it will be night.

You might get the odd loony who will do what a poster described earlier in the thread, and deliberately entice cats in so they can trap them, then drive them out to some remote wooded area, and let them go - this is weird and criminal behaviour folks. Only a few nutters, without much else going on in their lives, will form such an odd fixation and carry it through.

Mine will only go into next door's garden occasionally at night. Most of the time she's on my territory, usually on the shed or garage roof, or the guy next door's caravan roof. Fortunately, he's quite sane and doesn't have screaming apoplexy as soon as he sees her on his caravan roof. He's also not out there digging his garden every two minutes, so I very much doubt whether he would notice or indeed care even if she had shit in his flower bed, or on his (in this case mythical) prize marrows.

She also comes back in to use the litter tray.

This is reality, people - only a few weirdos plot or complain about cats. Most don't notice them.

I like the way my neighbour occasionally complains about the weeds in my garden (*), yet her cats are always in there sunbathing and doing their poos, but I don't complain about that to her. I haven't complained, even though I'm within my rights to do so, since I can see the bigger picture where these cats keep the rodent population in check.

(*) I let it grow semi wild in order to encourage insects and spiders, particularly so that butterflies can use my garden as a stopping off point in a sea of sanitised urban gardens.